Passport requirement for upcoming cruise

parachutes63

I just received this email for my upcoming cruise on October 16 out of New York, ending in Miami.

Date: 10/13/2023

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners,

We are delighted you have chosen to sail with us and thank you for your loyalty. On behalf of our crew, we look forward to welcoming you aboard soon.

We have important information regarding your upcoming sailing. We ask Travel Partners to share this information with impacted guests.

As a reminder, a valid passport is required on all sailings that begin in one U.S. port and end in another U.S. port. Guests who fail to present a passport at embarkation will be denied boarding.

We strongly encourage you to visit https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents to ensure you are in compliance and avoid any chance of being denied boarding.

As you prepare for your upcoming sailing and in order to ensure a seamless embarkation process, all guests are required to complete their online check-in no later than 72 hours prior to embarkation. It is important that you also ensure that all information entered is up to date to avoid any delays and potential denial of boarding.

Online check-in is available starting at 21 days, and up to 3 days before, the cruise embarkation date. To access your online check in, log in to your MyNCL account at www.ncl.com.

As always, we are at your service and look forward to providing you with a truly memorable onboard experience!

Sincerely,

Norwegian Cruise Line

2 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Check out the discussion here...

EDIT:  Never mind...looks like you already found it.

I read that thread. It is unfortunate but he screwed up. He won't take responsibility. I won't post on that thread because the poster is angry so far does not get it. The document requirements for non-closed loop cruises are listed on the NCL website and also are well known. Why would he think a birth certificate is good? Passports are always required for international travel exceot for the closed loop cruise exception. The cruise is clearly not closed loop. A long time NCL cruiser should have known. Also all the cruise lines make it the cruisers responsibility to know what documents are requires. No way that can know every individuals situation. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 7

28 minutes ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

He might be able to go to a Federal Office, and get passports processed in one day.  

That has been suggested on the other thread. It is his girlfriend that does not have a passport. Hopefully he will calm down enough to have her try and get a passport. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, hallux said:

I got the same thing for my January cruise (which is not closed-loop).

Me too for my April 4, 2024 cruise.  I'm glad NCL is sending out this reminder.  Doesn't affect me but I bet NCL must have experienced a number of travelers not aware.  FWIW this is not a new requirement.  Been in place for a long time.

Edited by davencl
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

To everyone without a passport, GET ONE!!   Then there is no chance of anyone changing the regulations at the last minute.

A P

There was no change in the Regs, they have always been that way.

Edited by zqvol
  • Like 1

These threads / problems are not new - for a variety of reasons there seems to be a complete refusal of Americans - sorry if this offends - but it truly is an American only issue - to get passports. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, RD64 said:

These threads / problems are not new - for a variety of reasons there seems to be a complete refusal of Americans - sorry if this offends - but it truly is an American only issue - to get passports. 

There is no complete refusal of Americans to get passports. A majority of American adults have passports. 

Americans don’t need passports for many cruises. Americans can choose those cruises. Pretty simple. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

There is no complete refusal of Americans to get passports. A majority of American adults have passports. 

Americans don’t need passports for many cruises. Americans can choose those cruises. Pretty simple. 

Reluctance might be a better word as opposed to refusal. And while I do not have cold facts - I disagree with your statement that the majority of Americans have passports. I would think - based on what I have read on these boards that it is the opposite. Most cite the cost factor, plus the fact that they have no intention of ever leaving the USA.

Just some random googling - the highest percentages I could find are 56% for Americans, and 70% for Canadians.

Edited by RD64
Additional
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

A majority of American adults have passports. 

Barely. 53% was the most recent number I could find. Pretty sad, actually. It's true that Americans don't need passports for some international travel -- until they do and don't have one. I mean, c'mon. You can't even drive to Canada without at least a passport card.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Just some random googling - the highest percentages I could find are 56% for Americans, and 70% for Canadians.

So a lot of Canadians don’t have passports. Of course the percentage of Canadians is going to be higher because you can’t come to the US without a passport. Many Canadians vacation in the US or have business in the US. So you have a greater need for a passport. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

Barely. 53% was the most recent number I could find. Pretty sad, actually. It's true that Americans don't need passports for some international travel -- until they do and don't have one. I mean, c'mon. You can't even drive to Canada without at least a passport card.

Most Americans don’t have on driving to Canada on bucket list. I just drove from Fort Worth,Texas to Santa Fe, New Mexico, about a 10 hours drive. Didn’t need a passport even entering the Navajo nation. So I didn’t take my passport. Never going to drive to Canada. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, IAcruising said:

Certainly your choice, and your loss. 

No loss at all. I have been to Canada many times. Next family reunion is scheduled in two years in Toronto. Not going to drive there though. Will fly in. Really convenient that US immigration and customs is at the Canadian airports. 

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

No loss at all. I have been to Canada many times. Next family reunion is scheduled in two years in Toronto. Not going to drive there though. Will fly in. Really convenient that US immigration and customs is at the Canadian airports. 

Obviously you haven’t flown in or out of YYZ lately. You may want to reconsider that driving option.

• Haha 2