Nickel and Diming?

tonyfall1

On 10/20/2023 at 2:49 PM, SoloAlaska said:

So sad for all the chocolate. Wasting chocolate isn’t right. As long as you can get some food at 1 am after drinking I’m happy wether it be a 24hr restaurant or a few things at a buffet. celebrity didn’t have much but I could get pizza or a made to order pasta dish after drinking so I was happy, it wasn’t 24/7 but really how many people will be going to eat at 3:30am. 

Towel animals are cute but so unnecessary especially daily. If/when I travel with a kid I would be very happily surprised if we came back to a towel animal once during the entire cruise. It should be special instead of expected. Now that I think about it maybe I should learn to make towel animals for my BFs daughter.

I still get a (little) kick out of towel animals.

Necessary? Nope.

You could open it up and use it in your bathroom (not wasted then).

For the record, I'm no kid. First cruise was in 1975 (on my own). No animals on that one (except some of the passengers, LOL).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

graphicguy wrote:

Specialty dining, alcoholic drinks, specialty coffees, Bingo, etc will cost extra, regardless of cruise line.

Not true (except for Bingo).

Some premium cruise lines include all of those items and more (e.g. free shorex).

If the cruise fares on the premium lines are more than NCL, then those items do cost 'extra'.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

graphicguy wrote:

Specialty dining, alcoholic drinks, specialty coffees, Bingo, etc will cost extra, regardless of cruise line.

Some premium cruise lines include all of those items and more (e.g. free shorex).

O.K. You can find exceptions like a river boat. That I totally irrelevant to the discussion. You are not talking about a mainstream, mid-market cruise line. You are trying to compare Apple to truffles. 

@graphicguy is 100% accurate with his statement. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

graphicguy wrote:

They also charge much higher fares to cover the “included” perks!  Celebrity offers fares that are bare bones (as does NCL WITH SAILAWAY fares).  And, for a much higher rate, offer all inclusive!

The “lux” lines who offer “all in” fares have much higher  to cover the perks!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

O.K. You can find exceptions like a river boat. That I totally irrelevant to the discussion. You are not talking about a mainstream, mid-market cruise line. You are trying to compare Apple to truffles. 

@graphicguy is 100% accurate with his statement. 

' m not comparing anything.

The quote was regardless of cruise line - not any particular rate category. You are infering that it meant mid-range.

And I was not referring to river cruises either.

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

They also charge much higher fares to cover the “included” perks!  Celebrity offers fares that are bare bones (as does NCL WITH SAILAWAY fares).  And, for a much higher rate, offer all inclusive!

The “lux” lines who offer “all in” fares have much higher  to cover the perks!

The fares are, indeed, much higher.

You made a blanket statement and I pointed out a different view.

• Like 1

Not going to get into the weeds on this.  I did mention Celebrity’s “all in” fares that are much higher.  

So, if anyone wants to play the “semantics” game, I’m not interested.  

Nickel/Dime arguments specific to any mainstream line is old.  Anyone who has cruised more than once should know the costs.  You pay for what you order.  

If all you want to pay is the base fare, you can do so.  

If you want all inclusive, you’ll pay more…either via higher fares, a la carte drinks, specialty dining, etc.

You can call it nickel and diming with any cruise line.  But, If any of this is a surprise, shame on you for not doing due diligence.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Being asked to pay 20 dollars for a replacement paper wrist band for the teen club was a new one on me. I did check and yes it was in their policy. 

When we just stuck the old one with tape, my son was refused entry unless a new one was bought. He spent the last few evenings with his mum lol

2 minutes ago, dritan said:

Being asked to pay 20 dollars for a replacement paper wrist band for the teen club was a new one on me. I did check and yes it was in their policy. 

When we just stuck the old one with tape, my son was refused entry unless a new one was bought. He spent the last few evenings with his mum lol

This is a fantastic tale.  Please tell us more!

• Like 1

Lol. It was bizarre. Apparently the reason is that teens run a black market in those Entourage paper bands, so if the teen club is over subscribed, teens share the bands in this manner with their unlucky friends. Who knew??

There were 55 teens on our cruise but apparently the rules are the rules. 

In all seriousness, it sounds like a punishment for a problem that doesn't really exist. God help my family if they ever do the same with re issuing lost key cards.

On 10/22/2023 at 10:42 PM, graphicguy said:

That’s a reason for a trip to Customer Service of I’ve ever heard one!

I did and wrote a polite note suggesting they review that policy and that their don't imply I'm lying when I explain how it ripped. "No ma'am, that's not possible!!!"

Meh. Annoyed us at the time, flagged it up but life goes on.

On 10/22/2023 at 10:42 PM, graphicguy said:
On 10/22/2023 at 8:53 PM, dritan said:

Lol. I was equally incredulous and did ask if the paper bands had some hidden tech I didn't know about, but no, they really were just paper. 

That’s a reason for a trip to Customer Service of I’ve ever heard one!

I think the $20 is entirely legit.  Kids do indeed share these (my daughter told me as such) going against the rules.  Sorry.  Need to deter it somehow...

1 hour ago, JGmf said:

I think the $20 is entirely legit.  Kids do indeed share these (my daughter told me as such) going against the rules.  Sorry.  Need to deter it somehow...

Plastic bands instead of paper?