List of wines and beer under Simply More?

zteamtwo

1 hour ago, ORV said:

While I haven't been onboard since it started, I would venture a guess that it's probably the same list of wines and beers that were available under Olife House Select. 

Ditto!!!

Oceania is buying wine in multiple shipping container quantities that they have shipped to their multiple world wide resupply locations. It takes months or years to rotate through some of the wines. Anything left over from one cruise season is just warehoused until the next. Nothing on the current “ by the glass “ wine list will change for quite some time. As ORV pointed out, absolutely nothing changed on 10/1 as far as the wine list was concerned.

Good point shepherd. Question:

1. Can you think of any lunch or dinner restaurant where the free wine is not offered? Waves grill?? Room service?

2. Can you ask to sample a couple of wines at lunch or dinner to see what you like?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, zteamtwo said:

Good point shepherd. Question:

1. Can you think of any lunch or dinner restaurant where the free wine is not offered? Waves grill?? Room service?

2. Can you ask to sample a couple of wines at lunch or dinner to see what you like?

All the restaurants and room service will bring you one glass per person at a time.  And you can ask to sample as many as you please, subject to the time constraints of the wine stewards.   

But that raises a question, can you request a flight of several glasses so you can taste them in reasonably quick succession?  That I would like to know, my next cruise will be the first where I'll have a drinks package (Simply More)..

1 hour ago, shepherd really said:

All the restaurants and room service will bring you one glass per person at a time.  And you can ask to sample as many as you please, subject to the time constraints of the wine stewards.   

But that raises a question, can you request a flight of several glasses so you can taste them in reasonably quick succession?  That I would like to know, my next cruise will be the first where I'll have a drinks package (Simply More)..

Never seen it done!

Let me add. These are all very low priced wines overall. Most all of them are varietally correct. So if you know what are Syrah or a Merlot tastes like, that’s what you’re getting. Even the blends such as the CdR is typical of that blend. There are no silly CA cocktail fruit bomb wines on the wine by the glass menu. They are more food oriented.

For Chardonnay, they typically have two selections: one more classic; and more more buttery and oaky than the other. They will allow you to sample both to see which you prefer. However, I have never seen a flight tasting offered of all the whites for instance.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Never seen it done!

Let me add. These are all very low priced wines overall. Most all of them are varietally correct. So if you know what are Syrah or a Merlot tastes like, that’s what you’re getting. Even the blends such as the CdR is typical of that blend. There are no silly CA cocktail fruit bomb wines on the wine by the glass menu. They are more food oriented.

For Chardonnay, they typically have two selections: one more classic; and more more buttery and oaky than the other. They will allow you to sample both to see which you prefer. However, I have never seen a flight tasting offered of all the whites for instance.

I may have to test and see if this is doable, just for giggles. 

1 hour ago, shepherd really said:

I may have to test and see if this is doable, just for giggles. 

Disclaimer: I am not this organized. This may not ever happen.

One idea: Find some wine friends on the rollcall. Meet for dinner night 1. Everyone order a different glass of wine and request an additional (empty) glass. Label the various wines and pass around like mini-carafes. (you are not drinking out of the mini-carafes, only pouring! ) Now you have tasted many/all of the wines 🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LHT28 said:

most of the wines were the same as on the menus that were posted in Jan

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2904150-riviera-new-bar-drinks-menus-and-prices/

So, are these the wines (by the glass) that are included in the Simply More package ? I though5 I read somewhere that the Simply More wines were limited to the
”house red or white“?  

22 minutes ago, blueexpedition29 said:

So, are these the wines (by the glass) that are included in the Simply More package ? I though5 I read somewhere that the Simply More wines were limited to the
”house red or white“?  

You read wrong, the wines by the glass are the same under every iteration of drinks packages offered by Oceania.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, shepherd really said:

You read wrong, the wines by the glass are the same under every iteration of drinks packages offered by Oceania.

@shepherd really Thank you, good information.  I think all the questions about wines, spirits and drink packages are based on many cruisers recent cruise experiences.  Not necessarily on Oceania. On another brand, we had the hardest time finding a average white wine.  We even had an upgraded drink package.  To clarify, we drink wine in a box at home and like it so we are not great wine drinkers.  The wine served was really bad and it was disappointing.  Something tells me many others have had the same experience and want to make sure it is better. 

Thank you again.  I always enjoy your posts and information.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1

My two cents. If you enjoy decent to very good wine, bring it on board. Pay the $25 corkage fee. Looking at the list, there  are a couple of  wines that are okay to have here and there……but on a longer cruise it would be nice to have some wines that you can really enjoy with the meals advertised as the finest at sea. 

Does Oceania ever bring wines on board from the ports they are visiting, so that there are local and different wines to enjoy?  Reading this tells me that does not happen? When we were on SB they did just that, so that the included offerings varies throughout the cruise. Admittedly some were not very palatable, but others were quite lovely. It provided a varied selection on the trip. 

• Like 1

Just now, Vineyard View said:

My two cents. If you enjoy decent to very good wine, bring it on board. Pay the $25 corkage fee. Looking at the list, there  are a couple of  wines that are okay to have here and there……but on a longer cruise it would be nice to have some wines that you can really enjoy with the meals advertised as the finest at sea. 

Does Oceania ever bring wines on board from the ports they are visiting, so that there are local and different wines to enjoy?  Reading this tells me that does not happen? When we were on SB they did just that, so that the included offerings varies throughout the cruise. Admittedly some were not very palatable, but others were quite lovely. It provided a varied selection on the trip. 

@Vineyard View You see, your point of bringing wine onboard is for me a true benefit of Oceania.  I remember way back when, a very long time ago, cruise brands allowed you to bring wine and spirits onboard.  We did it all the time and it was the best.  Never disappointed and it at the time saved us money which we did not have.  Then, the industry changed the rule.  So I like other realized that opinion was lost. 

I was so pleased to find out Oceania's policy on this.  Not huge or even a reason to cruise Oceania but a benefit to me.  So, to your point, I am excited that we will be flying into Athens Greece a day before the cruise.  We will see some sites, have a fantastic meal and buy some wine for the stateroom.  Makes the time in Athens even more fun.  

Since this will be my first Oceania cruise, something tells me, even the wine by the glass will exceed my wife's expectation.  Our experience in the recent past simply makes me want to Fix a Potential Problem before it happens.  Worst case, we have to much wine.  NOW, that is a third world problem I can defiantly live with.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Nope, not allowed. On our Sirena cruise last Fall, the lead wine steward at a tasting asked “ What kind of tasting would we ( the group) like to see?” I recommended that since we were headed to Madeira, then the Canary Islands, she pick up a few representative wines from the area and we have that tasting.

We were quickly told that was impossible. Shipboard personnel aren’t allowed to buy wine for any reason. Only Miami can buy wines for the ship. Our choice for a Tasting was from wines already offered by the ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, blueexpedition29 said:

”house red or white“?  

lots of mis information on CC

Oceania is one of a number of lines who allow this. Some charge corkage fees as Oceania does, and some do not. We always bring some wine on board with us. We find a local wine store and ask the person working there, based on our tastes if they have recommendations. We also do a bit of research before we go to better understand what we may enjoy. Without exception, it has always been an enjoyable part of our day in the cities we visit. If you are staying there, many of those shops will also deliver the wine you purchase to your hotel. Have fun doing that in Athens!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Nope, not allowed. On our Sirena cruise last Fall, the lead wine steward at a tasting asked “ What kind of tasting would we ( the group) like to see?” I recommended that since we were headed to Madeira, then the Canary Islands, she pick up a few representative wines from the area and we have that tasting.

We were quickly told that was impossible. Shipboard personnel aren’t allowed to buy wine for any reason. Only Miami can buy wines for the ship. Our choice for a Tasting was from wines already offered by the ship.

Thank you for clarifying. Disappointing, but good to know. Particularly since having local wines helps the wineries at ports visited, but also gives more layers to compliment the food. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you for clarifying. Disappointing, but good to know. Particularly since having local wines helps the wineries at ports visited, but also gives more layers to compliment the food. 

if you are travelling with a group  then just have everyone bring a bottle  from the port   & have your own wine tasting

Maybe speak to the wine steward  ahead of time or what ever they are called on Oceania  to suggest  food to pair with the wines at dinner in the restaurant of choice

• Like 1

If your concern is, "is there anything drinkable on the SM included by-the-glass wines?", my answer is yes. Tastes vary, so your answer may differ!

The by-the-glass list on O is perfectly fine - not an amazing "can you believe they have this" list, but plenty of food-friendly choices red or white. Spouse & I are both wine geeks if that matters. If you have a sweet tooth, there is a dessert wine on the list.

Yes we usually bring on a case of wine - but in February 2023 when we were on Nautica in Asia, we didn't bring any wine at all. Wine lists at restaurants in Asia pleasantly surprised us, but we didn't buy any bottles locally to bring on the ship either. Onboard we did fine between the by-the-glass list, end bin list and regular wine list onboard. This was a short 10 day itinerary, so can't promise if our attitude would be the same after 20+ days onboard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

if you are travelling with a group  then just have everyone bring a bottle  from the port   & have your own wine tasting

Maybe speak to the wine steward  ahead of time or what ever they are called on Oceania  to suggest  food to pair with the wines at dinner in the restaurant of choice

Thank you for this suggestion. We generally travel alone, but that is a great idea for groups! 
I was just thinking that it was nice to see local wines being loaded on the ship this year as a standard practice. 
I did not realize that the chefs on board will prepare meals for specific wine varietals, unless I am misunderstanding. 

3 hours ago, babysteps said:

If your concern is, "is there anything drinkable on the SM included by-the-glass wines?", my answer is yes. Tastes vary, so your answer may differ!

The by-the-glass list on O is perfectly fine - not an amazing "can you believe they have this" list, but plenty of food-friendly choices red or white. Spouse & I are both wine geeks if that matters. If you have a sweet tooth, there is a dessert wine on the list.

Yes we usually bring on a case of wine - but in February 2023 when we were on Nautica in Asia, we didn't bring any wine at all. Wine lists at restaurants in Asia pleasantly surprised us, but we didn't buy any bottles locally to bring on the ship either. Onboard we did fine between the by-the-glass list, end bin list and regular wine list onboard. This was a short 10 day itinerary, so can't promise if our attitude would be the same after 20+ days onboard.

We are fairly fortunate where we live to easily explore a myriad of different wines, so we have a good idea of the attributes in a wine that work for us….more so from our area, but also from our travels. 
I can say after looking at this list that there are a couple that would be fine. There are more than that which would not work for us, and there are some we are not familiar with. I am always open to trying new wines!  But we always bring wine on board as added insurance, as long as we are in a part of the world that is conducive to! I am not sure I would have counted on Asia but what a nice surprise!

An area I haven’t explored wines much in is upper NY, but I have heard that there are some very good wines produced there. 

Not sure I would have planned 

Edited by Vineyard View