Passport Requirement

SH&GH

27 minutes ago, Z'Loth said:

This ignores the fact that a passport is more than just a travel document, it is, for lack of a better word, a "Super Identification" because of the verification requirements. When I moved from California to Texas, I had to get a new drivers license. The passport fulfilled the requirements for both proof of identification as well as proof of citizenship. When the company I worked for was acquired by another company, we had to provide identification again as we were "re-hired". When I showed my passport, the HR person said "perfect! Easiest document to work with" as otherwise, two other forms of identification would be required. 

In short, it may be a rarely used document, but when it is needed, it comes in very handy. That's why I pay the extra $30 for the passport card. While it is unlikely that I will travel south from Dallas to Mexico, one never knows. But, it is a secondary form of government-provided identification (along with my driver's license) that can come in very handy. 

I 100% agree with you but you asked why people are reluctant to get passports.  Biggest reason is cost, they only see the immediate outlay (for a family of 4 with any kind of rush processing can easily run over $1000 which many cant afford after booking a vacation especially with prices lately), not the big picture of how else they can be used or the world it opens up for the next 5 to 10 years depending on ages.

So why are people reluctant to get passports, the cost.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Z'Loth said:

This ignores the fact that a passport is more than just a travel document, it is, for lack of a better word, a "Super Identification" because of the verification requirements. When I moved from California to Texas, I had to get a new drivers license. The passport fulfilled the requirements for both proof of identification as well as proof of citizenship. When the company I worked for was acquired by another company, we had to provide identification again as we were "re-hired". When I showed my passport, the HR person said "perfect! Easiest document to work with" as otherwise, two other forms of identification would be required. 

When I got my Texas DL about 2 years ago took my birth certificate, social security card, vehicle registration and car insurance proof. A passport would not have made it easier. Lots of Americans unfortunately don’t travel and they get through life without a passport as a “super identifier”. There are Americans who unfortunately don’t have the means to travel outside the US. There are a lot of people living paycheck to paycheck. 

Edited by Charles4515

14 minutes ago, akcruz said:

So why are people reluctant to get passports, the cost.

In 2008 when the US ID rules were modified cost was a reason that the exception was made allowing a birth certificate as ID for closed loop cruises. They even discussed they would have procedures in place for US citizens without a passport to return to the US in an emergency. 

I have two passports and both come up for renewal at the same time, think the Canadian one is $160 CA to renew and the UK one £103 (about $176 CA)

Of course right after my cruise in July I have to submit both because neither one will work for the December cruise as they are both a couple of weeks short for the minimum time left requirement for travel

3 hours ago, RedIguana said:

If you dig through the entry requirements hard enough for those countries (I have for Belize), you will somewhere find entry requirements for cruise ship passengers exempted from the general land, air, or sea (private) passport requirement. It's not that they are openly ignoring the requirement, it's that the requirement is not in place for cruise ship passengers. Even most of the WHTI counties require a passport if arriving by means other than cruise ship. 

Yes, I wasn't trying to imply they are openly ignoring a requirement.  My point was more that it wouldn't take much to remove that cruise ship exemption.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

What you miss is that a cruise line can enforce the requirement for a passport for all their passengers.

It doesn't matter if it is a close loop itinerary or someone says "No problem - just stay on the ship."

If the cruise line says a passport is needed to board, then a passport is needed. Just ask the large family group left standing on the pier for a closed loop cruise Princess cruise .

My upcoming Celebrity closed loop cruise that stops in two ports that require passports has a statement in the booking confirmation that a passport is needed

"Valid passports are required for all passengers, regardless of age. Passports must be valid for six (6) months after you disembark your cruise. Passport cards or photocopies of required documentation are not acceptable."

No statements  that one can decide to stay on the ship at those ports.

There are cruise lines that do require  passports for all  their sailings. HAL has a specific requirements for a passport for all in a cruising party that consists of minors and a single parent (guardian).

To tell people  to ignore the documentation that is required by the cruise line because of some quasi loophole is a disservice.

Im not sure where or when I ever said to ignore any documentation required by the cruise line. Quite the opposite, as I suggested the OP get a confirmation email from Celebrity giving them the ok to board without a passport. I am trying to salvage their trip because it sounds like they are too late to obtain a passport. Secondly, I dont believe its a loophole, when our daughter was able to sail just last year to Martinique on Celebrity without a passport.  So clearly its possible to travel to these islands without a passport by staying on the ship. Maybe Celebrity messed up in allowing them, maybe they didnt. I also am bringing light to the obscurity of the policy regarding this from Celebrity themselves. Celebrity needs to make it abundantly clear on their closed loop section which islands this does not apply to and state that a passport is required to board, which they do not do.

Finally, I personally wouldn't travel anywhere without a passport but Im not a risk taker that some others might be. Again, I am not condoning traveling without a passport but it sounds like OP is out of options to acquire one and am sharing a positive experience where we could still sail to one of these islands without one. Will it work for them, I have no clue , even if they get confirmation from a Celebrity agent via email like we did, its still a risk that they could be denied boarding. That is up to them if its worth it. It wouldn't be for me but I dont know enough about their situation or their refund options to know if its worth it to them.

There are other options to expedite a passport, even say day options in some locations if you have international travel scheduled within 14 days.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast/passport-agencies.html

7 hours ago, prmssk said:

No, not every country has the 6 month rule and all the itineraries I looked at for the Apex in January fall under the closed loop cruise rule.  If you are really concerned, just take a certified copy of your birth certificate along as a backup but I highly doubt you will need it.

Thanks for again for your reply. Just re-verifying Honduras and Belize do fall under the closed loop cruise rule!!  Also assuming since my passport doesn't expire until 180 days after we disembark all is good. 

3 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

Thanks for again for your reply. Just re-verifying Honduras and Belize do fall under the closed loop cruise rule!!  Also assuming since my passport doesn't expire until 180 days after we disembark all is good. 

Yes, and it doesn't look like either have a 6 month rule even for those traveling on a US passport (Honduras is 3 months and Belize just requires it to be valid according to the US Dept of State).

That said, as this thread has been a good reminder of, always pay attention to your cruise docs to make sure Celebrity doesn't impose other document requirements.

My passport expires 179 days from the day we disembark from our upcoming Reflection cruise. 🤦‍♀️ When I checked in I got a message saying Celebrity recommends having a passport with a minimum of 6 months from the day of debarkation, but it did allow me to complete check-in.

We visit St. Maarten which requires 6 months from the date of the visit to the island, and my passport complies with that. Being OCD when it comes to vacations, I will be taking my BC just to keep the anxiety from creeping in.

On 10/17/2023 at 3:21 PM, Charles4515 said:

A drivers license fits convieniently in my wallet and the Apple Wallet I sometimes attach to my phone. My DL is Real ID. US DLs are a uniform size and format. They have RFID  chips. As I said if you want to spend $30 on something you don't need for some percieved convienence go for it. It is your $30. 

It was easier for me to add a passport card to my passport application than to go to the DMV in person with assorted documentation to get a Real ID.

I'll say again- If YOU don't want to pay $30 for a passport card, don't.  We get it.  You don't think it's necessary.  But please stop trying to insult people who prefer to get one. 

• Haha 1

On 10/18/2023 at 1:51 PM, Homosassa said:

What you miss is that a cruise line can enforce the requirement for a passport for all their passengers.

There are cruise lines that do require  passports for all  their sailings. HAL has a specific requirements for a passport for all in a cruising party that consists of minors and a single parent (guardian).

To tell people  to ignore the documentation that is required by the cruise line because of some quasi loophole is a disservice.

Princess has the same requirement that everyone in the party have a password if only one adult is traveling with one or more minors. It’s very important to check your cruise line’s document requirements along with the requirements of your ports.