Percentage of passengers with a 'Package'

Marronnier

On 10/17/2023 at 8:10 PM, Cruise Craig said:

I am interested as it will help me understand how busy the casual dining venues will be and if the reserved seating in the theater is likely to fill up.

Plus how busy will it be for OceanNow Delivery for drinks and Food.  I have a friend who sailed in July and he said it was useless.  Either it took over an hour, or your food or drink never showed up.  I'm hoping the recent changes will mean less people taking advantage of ordering thru the app.  Of course, even without the package they could still pay the $14.95 to activate it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cruisin Oma said:

Plus how busy will it be for OceanNow Delivery for drinks and Food.  I have a friend who sailed in July and he said it was useless.  Either it took over an hour, or your food or drink never showed up.  I'm hoping the recent changes will mean less people taking advantage of ordering thru the app.  Of course, even without the package they could still pay the $14.95 to activate it.

We just sailed on Discovery Princess and the customer service with the app was stellar.  We waited no more then ten minutes for drink service and even room service food and drink deliveries were timely, I think the longest we waited was maybe fifteen minutes.  Ocean Now is such a great asset to have preparing for the cruise and while onboard as well.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, memoak said:

Why would you want to smuggle on extra booze if you have a package tho at allows 15 alcoholic drinks a day ?

Like I said, it feels like there is less need to bother, now that I know more about the packages.  But... since you asked, and maybe I'll end up talking myself back into definitely smuggling:

-  I might want to drink more of something not otherwise found onboard

-  we can bring onboard 12 cans of soda (actually, can we hide a few craft beers within these?) each, what am I going to drink these with?

-  After I've drank my one bottle of wine, and I want to drink something in my room, having something ready to hand would beat the faff of ordering from an app which I gather has a less extensive range than when you're physically at the bars, and may or may not turn up within an hour or two of ordering

-  Maybe 15 isn't enough some days (highly unlikely for me on any day, but not unimaginable)

-  It's a fun part of preparing for the cruise 

Another factor for the math - sure I might consume 3/4 drinks per day when I'm on holiday, but would I normally plan to spend $15 dollars on those drinks?  If I'm having beers it's maybe more like 7 or 8 drinks before the math works out - I'm very happy drinking beer, wine or cocktails, so I'm still happy with the math.

My guess is that a big intention of the packages is not necessarily to allow people to drink more freely, but to change their behaviour when they are on board.  I'd be interested in, for people who smuggle on more drink and don't have a package, are they more likely to spend more time in their room or on their balcony?  If I've smuggled less in, and have a package, then I assume I'm likely to spend more time at the bars, out in public, where I'm liable to start spending money on other things.  All of a sudden in return for handing over $60 I get a few massively over-inflated drinks, and they get (in addition to keeping most of my $60) someone who has left their balcony and might now spend some money.

3 hours ago, p.pete said:

Like I said, it feels like there is less need to bother, now that I know more about the packages.  But... since you asked, and maybe I'll end up talking myself back into definitely smuggling:

-  we can bring onboard 12 cans of soda (actually, can we hide a few craft beers within these?) each, what am I going to drink these with?

-  After I've drank my one bottle of wine, and I want to drink something in my room, having something ready to hand would beat the faff of ordering from an app which I gather has a less extensive range than when you're physically at the bars, and may or may not turn up within an hour or two of ordering

-  Maybe 15 isn't enough some days (highly unlikely for me on any day, but not unimaginable)

Another factor for the math - sure I might consume 3/4 drinks per day when I'm on holiday, but would I normally plan to spend $15 dollars on those drinks?  If I'm having beers it's maybe more like 7 or 8 drinks before the math works out - I'm very happy drinking beer, wine or cocktails, so I'm still happy with the math.

My guess is that a big intention of the packages is not necessarily to allow people to drink more freely, but to change their behaviour when they are on board.  I'd be interested in, for people who smuggle on more drink and don't have a package, are they more likely to spend more time in their room or on their balcony?  If I've smuggled less in, and have a package, then I assume I'm likely to spend more time at the bars, out in public, where I'm liable to start spending money on other things.  All of a sudden in return for handing over $60 I get a few massively over-inflated drinks, and they get (in addition to keeping most of my $60) someone who has left their balcony and might now spend some money.

A decent beer is $7.  5 of those is $35.  You are in the black.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruisintimer said:

We just sailed on Discovery Princess and the customer service with the app was stellar.  We waited no more then ten minutes for drink service and even room service food and drink deliveries were timely, I think the longest we waited was maybe fifteen minutes.  Ocean Now is such a great asset to have preparing for the cruise and while onboard as well.

I’ve used it twice this year.  The first time ever was embarkation day.  It took about 45 minutes to get a sandwich delivered to the pool deck. The second time, I ordered a sandwich, soup and beer.  It came to my cabin in 15 minutes. I’m not going to die from hunger in an hour.  But that’s a long time to wait for an adult beverage.  Easier to walk to the nearest bar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, cruisedoctor said:

On my last two sailings, I was lucky enough to have been invited to a private luncheon with the Food & Beverage Manager on one sailing, and Guest Relations Manager on the other.  Because I'm a travel agent, I like to ask the officers questions that the home office executives might hesitate to answer.  I did pose the question as to the "take rate" for PLUS and PREMIER.  Not wanting to get someone in trouble, (because they may have told me something "corporate" wouldn't want us to know), I won't reveal the source.  But, I was told it averages around 75% of the passengers.  I thought that was on the high side, but again, these are the top dogs on the ship, who have access to this type of information.

PCL sales team has said more than once that they expect an uptake in the packages of about 75%.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cclvr said:

Question, if we do not purchase the Plus package - can we purchase wifi only onboard?

"Choose from one-device or four-device packages starting from just $14.99 USD. Packages are available with additional savings as part of our Princess Plus and Princess Premier Packages. They can also be purchased pre-cruise and on board through the MedallionClass app. Platinum and Elite guests get an exclusive discount of 50% off*.

3 minutes ago, p.pete said:

"Choose from one-device or four-device packages starting from just $14.99 USD. Packages are available with additional savings as part of our Princess Plus and Princess Premier Packages. They can also be purchased pre-cruise and on board through the MedallionClass app. Platinum and Elite guests get an exclusive discount of 50% off*.

Thanks for the confirmation, we are platinum and last year we had to book the wifi only before boarding to guarantee our 50% off....we don't use it much...so miss the 250 fee minutes each which was way more than enough for the two of us...our time to unplug!

1 minute ago, cclvr said:

Thanks for the confirmation, we are platinum and last year we had to book the wifi only before boarding to guarantee our 50% off....we don't use it much...so miss the 250 fee minutes each which was way more than enough for the two of us...our time to unplug!

I think I would prefer free minutes too, rather than it be part of a package or paying outright to have it.  I know if I have access I'll be using it, and I'd be happier if forced to switch off!  Free minutes is a nice medium, it'd be useful to have it for emergencies but you'd be inclined to leave it alone otherwise.

9 minutes ago, cclvr said:

you might want to confirm the being able to get the discount once on board - didn't realize you had that.

2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

you might want to confirm the being able to get the discount once on board - didn't realize you had that.

I didn't paste the Asterix 😄 "*Discount will be applied on board in the form of an onboard credit." 

• Thanks 1

Last month I bought the internet package onboard Majestic at 50% off. The discounted price was charged at $7.50/day and the other half did not appear on my account at all- so no full amount charged with half as an onboard credit. Other ships may do it differently.

3 hours ago, cclvr said:

You received bad information.  Qualifying guests always get the 50% discount whether pre-cruise or on-board.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, p.pete said:

I didn't paste the Asterix 😄 "*Discount will be applied on board in the form of an onboard credit." 

That was cover for the App not applying the discount when ordering pre-cruise.  This usually happened when the guest's CC Member Level was not correct in the App.  Also, there were System bugs at different times and originally the App was not programmed to provide the discount in advance.

11 minutes ago, helby said:

Last month I bought the internet package onboard Majestic at 50% off. The discounted price was charged at $7.50/day and the other half did not appear on my account at all- so no full amount charged with half as an onboard credit. Other ships may do it differently.

This is the way it has always been.  When purchasing on-board, the guest is simply charged the net cost.  All ships.

11 hours ago, p.pete said:

You may or may not find this helpful lol We're bringing a bottle of port on board - it qualifies as wine but hits different of course. So this will be the drink my husband and friends enjoy before dinner in the cabin. Granted, it's not as high octane as what you would be smuggling but it might hit the spot for you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Napagirl said:

You may or may not find this helpful lol We're bringing a bottle of port on board - it qualifies as wine but hits different of course. So this will be the drink my husband and friends enjoy before dinner in the cabin. Granted, it's not as high octane as what you would be smuggling but it might hit the spot for you.

Some ports have been confiscated due to the fact that the alcohol content on fortified wines is higher than regular wines 

• Thanks 1

On 10/20/2023 at 1:29 AM, Cruisin Oma said:

I honestly believe this was one of the main reason's princess added the oceans now activation fee. Have it available to everybody stretched the crew over its max.

If a 14.95 fee reduces the orders by even 20% I'm sure it will be a huge help in the quality and wait times. 

People get so upset by such and insignificant fee they fail to see the big picture.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2023 at 5:30 AM, BamaVol said:

I’ve used it twice this year.  The first time ever was embarkation day.  It took about 45 minutes to get a sandwich delivered to the pool deck. The second time, I ordered a sandwich, soup and beer.  It came to my cabin in 15 minutes. I’m not going to die from hunger in an hour.  But that’s a long time to wait for an adult beverage.  Easier to walk to the nearest bar.

Guess we got lucky and yes we as well do not have a problem walking to get something but the convenience was great.  

Happy cruising!

48 minutes ago, Cruisintimer said:

Guess we got lucky and yes we as well do not have a problem walking to get something but the convenience was great.  

Happy cruising!

The 15 minute wait was no big deal.  The 45 minute wait was compounded by the app showing it delivered 5 minutes before it showed up.  I figured someone else was eating my sandwich.  A roll call buddy ordered a coke.  When it didn’t arrive in an hour, he reordered.  What showed up?  Two cokes.  So, yeah, there are glitches. But my two legs work just fine.  I am never far from a bar and even the IC is easily reached if I get too hungry. 

• Like 2