Internet is horrible

Lonedaddy

Two things we don't look forward to on Regent trips.  Air travel (not RSSC fault other than setting up  tight connections) and lack of "real" internet for anything other than emails with text only.  You want to listen to a podcast - forget it.

17 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

But.....Will there be an upcharge to access streaming services as has previously been the case?

There will still be two services offered - the free internet access will allow for FaceTime, WhatsApp video calls, etc - however if you are attempting to stream HD video content, you need to upgrade to the $9.99/day package. Numerous factors will have an impact on what is possible with either package, so a definitive answer with specific use cases is a challenge.

Edited by Mike Moore
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Mystictraveler said:

@Mike Moore, perhaps this has been answered elsewhere, but why is it taking so long to roll Starlink out to the entire fleet? Given all the known issues with the existing wifi, and given Regent touts itself as a premium cruise line, it would seem this could get done very quickly. Afterall, ships get built in only two years!

This is well beyond my area of expertise, but between required hardware, software and the people that are experienced with doing the installation - the current plan of having it completed fleet-wide before the end of next year is where we are...

26 minutes ago, Mike Moore said:

There will still be two services offered - the free internet access will allow for FaceTime, WhatsApp video calls, etc - however if you are attempting to stream HD video content, you need to upgrade to the $9.99/day package. Numerous factors will have an impact on what is possible with either package, so a definitive answer with specific use cases is a challenge.

Is that $10/day per device or per cabin?  We are in a Grand Suite, if that makes a difference.

DH will need streaming but I won’t, and we are just trying to figure out logistics.  Thanks.

32 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

Is that $10/day per device or per cabin?  We are in a Grand Suite, if that makes a difference.

DH will need streaming but I won’t, and we are just trying to figure out logistics.  Thanks.

Per device, usually.

Grand Suites are entitled to more than one device; not sure how many. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GMIAC said:

Per device, usually.

Grand Suites are entitled to more than one device; not sure how many. 

Even if you are entitled to more than one device, if you get the upgrade you can only log into one device at a time. However, if you're sharing your suite, you can use your suite-mate's credentials to log into any additional devices.

I learned that one the hard way.

13 minutes ago, wishIweretravelling said:

Even if you are entitled to more than one device, if you get the upgrade you can only log into one device at a time. However, if you're sharing your suite, you can use your suite-mate's credentials to log into any additional devices.

I learned that one the hard way.

Wow. I thought for my upcoming PH level cruise allowance of 4 devices that the two of us could log on to any of my 4 specific devices  at the same time. How are you 'warned' that this is not possible - an unexpected charge??

42 minutes ago, TheShag said:

Wow. I thought for my upcoming PH level cruise allowance of 4 devices that the two of us could log on to any of my 4 specific devices  at the same time. How are you 'warned' that this is not possible - an unexpected charge??

Just to be clear: you are allowed 4 devices. IF you decide to pay extra for the upgrade to enable streaming, then you can use your own credentials to log into only one device at a time. If you don’t upgrade, and stick with the regular wifi, you and your suite mate can log into up to 4 devices at once.

If you do take the upgrade, you are “warned” when you try to log into another device and you get a pop up telling you to log out of the other device. Fortunately, the pop up allows you to log out of the other device just by clicking on a button on the pop up.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

Yes, it does. Gold loyalty level and above and concierge cabins and above get up to 4 simultaneous logins. @Pcardad please correct me about the suite level if I'm incorrect.

I believe you are correct...but it would be nice if they gave 2 per cabin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheShag said:

You can have 4 with a PH....

2 hours ago, Mike Moore said:

This is well beyond my area of expertise, but between required hardware, software and the people that are experienced with doing the installation - the current plan of having it completed fleet-wide before the end of next year is where we are...

The main issue is probably existing contracts for service with the existing provider. Grandeur doesnt have a contract and Mariner needs Starlink for the high SSS level people on the WC. The others will be replaced as their contracts expire.....just my guess.

1 hour ago, wishIweretravelling said:

Just to be clear: you are allowed 4 devices. IF you decide to pay extra for the upgrade to enable streaming, then you can use your own credentials to log into only one device at a time. If you don’t upgrade, and stick with the regular wifi, you and your suite mate can log into up to 4 devices at once.

If you do take the upgrade, you are “warned” when you try to log into another device and you get a pop up telling you to log out of the other device. Fortunately, the pop up allows you to log out of the other device just by clicking on a button on the pop up.

Can you pay for two upgrades to get at least two simultaneous logins back?

10 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

Can you pay for two upgrades to get at least two simultaneous logins back?

You’d have to ask the computer consultant onboard about that. They’d likely have to set up a second account for you somehow. The limitation is more technical than it is policy.

Assuming that you’re sharing your cabin with someone, it would be easier just to use their login for your second device. Your cabin has 4 logins, so s/he would have 3 logins to draw from.  

1 hour ago, wishIweretravelling said:

You’d have to ask the computer consultant onboard about that. They’d likely have to set up a second account for you somehow. The limitation is more technical than it is policy.

Assuming that you’re sharing your cabin with someone, it would be easier just to use their login for your second device. Your cabin has 4 logins, so s/he would have 3 logins to draw from.  

Okay, I think I’ve misunderstood.  

We have four regular logins that come with the suite, in theory, two devices for me, two for DH.  DH needs/wants streaming for at least one of his.  Based on people’s comments, I assumed that the $10/day added streaming, but dropped us down to a single login for the cabin instead of the four.  Is that not the case?  Does paying the upgrade result in one streaming and three regular logins?  

If so, that’s all we need.  I just don’t want to pay for the upgrade for him and then have me not be able to use the internet because DH is hogging it…

9 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

We have four regular logins that come with the suite, in theory, two devices for me, two for DH.  DH needs/wants streaming for at least one of his.  Based on people’s comments, I assumed that the $10/day added streaming, but dropped us down to a single login for the cabin instead of the four.  Is that not the case?  Does paying the upgrade result in one streaming and three regular logins?  

If so, that’s all we need.  I just don’t want to pay for the upgrade for him and then have me not be able to use the internet because DH is hogging it…

...just to add to the confusion, how does 'it' know that you are 'streaming' vs regular surfing, etc...?

10 minutes ago, TheShag said:

...just to add to the confusion, how does 'it' know that you are 'streaming' vs regular surfing, etc...?

“It” doesn’t. You simply are not able to stream with the regular wifi.

21 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

That’s correct. It’s just that the other 3 logins will have to be using your credentials. He can use his only on one device at a time. And, at that, he can log out of one and onto another.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The last time my DH paid for the extra fast service, he used this on his computer with his log in. 
It didn’t affect my ability to use my log in (no up grade) and I used my computer and phone while he was solving company problems his up graded service. Though it wasn’t much difference.

Edited by cwn
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, bookbabe said:

You husband will have the up graded service with his log in. You will have the regular service with your log in.  
You can both use your computers at the same time as you have different log ins.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

You retain your other logins.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2023 at 2:50 PM, taxare said:

Just received this email (Monday October 23):

Dear Luxury Traveler,

I am pleased to announce that guests can now stream, share and surf the internet while at sea with unmatched speed and reliability thanks to Starlink’s high-speed internet aboard Regent Seven Seas Cruises®. 

Guests sailing on Seven Seas Mariner® are already enjoying Starlink internet, allowing them to stay connected while traveling like never before, something that Regent world cruisers will surely enjoy when setting sail in January 2024. Beginning in November, Seven Seas Grandeur elevates every aspect of luxury cruising on her inaugural voyages, including Starlink’s next-level WiFi. And by the end of 2024, all our ships are expected to have Starlink high-speed internet available.

The World’s Most Luxurious Fleet is sailing full speed ahead into a new era of connectivity at sea, from real-time moments shared mid-voyage to improved onboard services and beyond. 

We look forward to welcoming you aboard for An Unrivaled Experience®.

We are on the Mariner now and the internet is very slow and it doesn’t matter what time of day or if it’s a port day and most of the passengers are off the ship. I’ve cruised on Celebrity who also have Starlink and the connectivity is a lot better. I’m also not streaming.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vicrea123 said:

We are on the Mariner now and the internet is very slow and it doesn’t matter what time of day or if it’s a port day and most of the passengers are off the ship. I’ve cruised on Celebrity who also have Starlink and the connectivity is a lot better. I’m also not streaming.

Unfortunately, just having Starlink does not guarantee fast internet.  So much depends on how each cruise line/ship implements it.  For example, has the onboard infrastructure been upgraded to deliver higher speeds?  How does the cruise line choose to throttle individual users?  How much Starlink bandwidth has the ship bought?  Like most things, the devil is in the details.  I'm boarding the Mariner in December and I hope RSSC has straightened out any issues with their Starlink implementation. 

• Like 1