Is Europe safe right now? Should I cancel my trip?

Acmcho

I have a trip planned for May 2024, our first time in Europe.. visiting parts of Italy, Ibiza and Greece.  I’m questioning with all the wars going on right now if it’s the best time to travel over there? The US just issued a travel warning due to high risk of terrorist threats in area of tourism. I understand I’m a few months away still however none of this seems like it’ll be resolved any time soon and rather looks like it continues to escalate. If you were in my shoes, would you cancel your trip or wait and see? I still have time to switch to a different part of the world. 

• Like 1

I haven´t heard of any terrorism attacks on tourists in Italy or Greece. The only incident involving tourists was in Egypt (which is not Europe). Of course, Europe is safe. France had some major incidents but those were in areas you usually won´t be as a tourist.

steamboats

• Like 2

This question is really one of personal comfort level, past experience, preferences and understanding of risk.

I am in Europe right now and have been since October 1. There has been nothing that has occurred to make me, a solo woman traveler, feel uncomfortable, including spending 4 days in Turkey. And I will be coming back to spend a week in Rome in November. But someone else’s comfort level may be completely different.

I posted this on another thread but it’s worth repeating as one way of looking at risk:

Coming from the US, my viewpoint may be a little different, keeping in mind we’ve experienced about as many multiple fatality shootings here in 2023 as the number of days in the year so far. I could be in a mall, movie theatre or place of worship and be killed for no reason other than proximity and bad luck. In fact, I believe I’ve read that my chances of violent injury or death are far greater if I stay home. I might as well go out and see the world, given those odds. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Building on cruisemom42’s post, it may help you to look at it from the perspective of another country’s official advice.

The UK says that both the USA and France have the same (high) threat of terrorism, with additional warnings about violent crime in the USA, and a specific warning about assaults on one French train route. Spain has a lower terrorism threat level, and Italy lower again.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/usa/safety-and-security
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/italy/safety-and-security

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain/safety-and-security
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france/safety-and-security

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You should hear what folks in other countries think about the USA.  Even 20 years ago, nobody in the UK could believe that in the USA I had never been mugged nor owned a gun. You will be fine.  My husband and I travel abroad often and frequently  take family members with us.  I would never put someone I love in harm's way but have no hesitation about traveling abroad to countries not actually involved in a war zone.

• Like 6

On 10/20/2023 at 4:49 PM, lynncarol said:

You should hear what folks in other countries think about the USA.  Even 20 years ago, nobody in the UK could believe that in the USA I had never been mugged nor owned a gun. You will be fine.  My husband and I travel abroad often and frequently  take family members with us.  I would never put someone I love in harm's way but have no hesitation about traveling abroad to countries not actually involved in a war zone.

This^^^^ 

FBI data released this week reports here in San Antonio we had almost 13,000 violent crimes reported in 2022, and 231 fatal shootings (this isn't the total number of murders - only shootings!)  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

None of us can walk in your shoes.  I will tell you that DW and I have been cruising and traveling, extensively, for decades, and will be returning to Europe in May,  In my shoes, we realize that 6 months is a long time, and nobody can predict the world situation in May.  Our cruise ends in Italy where we plan on renting a car and continuing for a couple of weeks on an independent driving trip.  To be very honest, our concern now is trying to develop an interesting itinerary and booking a few hotels.  

We would have some concern on traveling to the Middle East in the next few months, but otherwise,  we see no reason to alter our plans.

Hank

• Like 1

The most important thing to think about is how you would handle the worst case scenario…not necessarily related to the conflict but have a plan…medical emergency, natural disaster, where and how you keep your money, passports and do you have comprehensive travel insurance on your trip. We returned Saturday from a long awaited trip to Italy and Greece with no issues and did not see any evidence of heightened concern in any airport , except in Boston. It is too early to make a call on how this will play out but maybe outlining your fears and how you would handle will help.

• Like 1

I was in London on public transit July 2005 when there was a terror attack, certainly scary and unplanned and I am thankful we were not harmed  and since it was the end of our stay less impactful. Fear lets the bad guys win, the world keeps turning. Sadly it can happen anywhere, be aware, known your own risk tolerance and what you personally are able to accept to enjoy a trip. If the risk is too much for you or the perceived threat would make you anxious then you have your answer, don’t’ second guess what is right for you and your family. I have accepted that there is risk to travel but there is also risk to going to the store or going to the movies, my plan is to just keep going until I can’t.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

More concerned traveling in the US than in Europe. I wouldn’t go to certain countries in the Middle East right now or certain parts of Asia but that’s about it. Certain cities or even rural areas of the US I will avoid however or take a different approach for my safety.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm more concerned living in a country where assault weapons are legal. 🫠 That being said, we are taking our kids to Europe (Italy, France & Spain) for the first time this summer. My concern isn't terrorism or violent crime, but scams and pickpockets in some of the cities we are visiting.

5 hours ago, Chadr135 said:

I'm more concerned living in a country where assault weapons are legal. 🫠 That being said, we are taking our kids to Europe (Italy, France & Spain) for the first time this summer. My concern isn't terrorism or violent crime, but scams and pickpockets in some of the cities we are visiting.

We took private tours in order to avoid taking public transportation where a little of risk can be. Watch out and do not bring values or lot of cash with you while touring and leave your passport in your hotel safety box bringing just a copy of it with you. Unfortunately there are some gypsies in Europe coming from a couple of eastern countries considering pickpockets their regular "job". Anyway following the simple security measures, nothing happens and we really had a great memorable time in Germany, Austria and Italy!

1 hour ago, Mar1987 said:

We took private tours in order to avoid taking public transportation where a little of risk can be. Watch out and do not bring values or lot of cash with you while touring and leave your passport in your hotel safety box bringing just a copy of it with you. Unfortunately there are some gypsies in Europe coming from a couple of eastern countries considering pickpockets their regular "job". Anyway following the simple security measures, nothing happens and we really had a great memorable time in Germany, Austria and Italy!

Thanks so much for the tips!

• Like 1

On 12/13/2023 at 6:28 PM, Mar1987 said:

My concern isn't terrorism or violent crime, but scams and pickpockets in some of the cities we are visiting.

There are a number of websites giving info on pickpocketing and scams, detailing some of the "diversion tactics" pickpockets might use on you  if trying to relieve you of some valuables (which you should not have taken ashore with you anyway).   Read a few to be better informed as to what to watch for should you be targeted.

Simply google something like "pickpocketing scams in ?" or similar.

And try not to stress about it.  Some  simple precautions, a knowledge of potential scams and being aware of those around you, should be all you need to have a safe and thoroughly enjoyable trip. 

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

On 12/13/2023 at 3:12 PM, Chadr135 said:

Thanks so much for the tips!

Be aware that some of the pickpockets are children or young teens.  We were outside the Uffizi when we saw two young girls carrying a baby approach two women ahead of us.  The girl with the baby approached the women begging for money while the other girl opened the zipper of one of the women's handbag.  We screamed at them and they ran away, but the woman's wallet was half way out of the purse.  One more second and it would have been gone. 

Later that day we saw the girls and baby again walking around in the crowded San Marco market.  They were still at "work."   

One small hint.  Carry a purse with many inside zippers and carry your wallet inside one of the inside zippers.  No need to make it easy for nimble-fingered pickpockets.

42 minutes ago, marazul said:

One small hint.  Carry a purse with many inside zippers and carry your wallet inside one of the inside zippers.  No need to make it easy for nimble-fingered pickpockets.

I take it even further. I put the money, credit cards, etc. that I absolutely must carry with me inside a "secret pocket" and then use a safety pin to pin that pocket INSIDE a zipped pocket INSIDE my purse.

I don't like to use the Travelon or PacSafe bags, but this solution has worked for me so far.

We are generally more vulnerable in place where we feel at home.  I know that I'm no where near as vigilant at home as I am when traveling, but becoming comfortable anywhere can lead to letting down your guard.

The story in the Fodors article (linked above by cruisemom42) reminded me of a business lunch in Manhattan nearly 25 years ago.  It was a very posh restaurant, a celebration lunch after a successful meeting.  I sat down and, as usual, hung my purse off the back of my chair as the author of the article did in Rome.  Minutes later my bag was placed gently in my lap by the waiter, who gave me a pointed look and said "we're not in Kansas anymore, dear".  I don't think I've ever done that with a purse again, anywhere.

I always look to purchase travel clothing with inside, zippered pockets.  It used to be easier, LL Bean and Lands End jackets and raincoats all used to have them, but no so much anymore.  Now I've taken to buying the zippered pockets on line and sewing them in myself.  It may not look as nice as ready made, but they work great and no one sees them but me.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I take it even further. I put the money, credit cards, etc. that I absolutely must carry with me inside a "secret pocket" and then use a safety pin to pin that pocket INSIDE a zipped pocket INSIDE my purse.

I don't like to use the Travelon or PacSafe bags, but this solution has worked for me so far.

I don't use name brands either. They are a dead giveaway for a nervous tourist.

I also attach my wallet with a strap inside an inside zipper pocket. That lets me use the wallet while it is still attached to the bag. The strap came from a Baggalini bag i once had.

17027436770083807211122715844757.jpg

Edited by marazul