Excursions for Australia & New Zealand

2 hours ago, Teachkids2 said:

There are 8 adults in our party ranging in ages from 54-78.  We don't mind doing separate excursions. We are looking for recommendations on seeing wildlife.  In Sydney do you recommend the Taronga Zoo, Wildlife Sydney Zoo, or Sea Life Aquarium? 

On NCL we have booked the following excursions.  Not sure if we will take them all.  Please let me know if you have been on any of these and if so please provide feedback.

Eden ~ Cruise to Twofold Bay

Burnie ~ Devils & Roos (Wings Park Farm)

Melbourne ~ Healsville Sanctuary (we have decided only to do one of these either this one or Burnie or if we should just do the one in Sydney and scrap both of these)

Lyttleton Discovery Cruise

For Sydney, Taronga Zoo. It is also a very easy ferry ride from Circular Quay.

For Melbourne, Healesville is a different experience. If you like wildlife, it is worth doing both.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Teachkids2 said:

There are 8 adults in our party ranging in ages from 54-78.  We don't mind doing separate excursions. We are looking for recommendations on seeing wildlife.  In Sydney do you recommend the Taronga Zoo, Wildlife Sydney Zoo, or Sea Life Aquarium? 

On NCL we have booked the following excursions.  Not sure if we will take them all.  Please let me know if you have been on any of these and if so please provide feedback.

Melbourne ~ Healsville Sanctuary (we have decided only to do one of these either this one or Burnie or if we should just do the one in Sydney and scrap both of these)

The cruise to Twofold Bay sounds nice for Eden

For Burnie since there are 8 of you, do a private tour to Cradle Mountain. Tassie Tours are good.

Melbourne Healesville, again do a private tour. There are a ton out there better and cheaper than an NCL busload of 50 people.

For Sydney, don't do a zoo. Do a ferry trip to Manly and/or a coastal walk. https://www.sydneycoastwalks.com.au/ Bondi to Coogee is very popular. 

If you MUST do a Sydney zoo, definitely Tooronga. Then go to Manly. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, arxcards said:

For Sydney, Taronga Zoo. It is also a very easy ferry ride from Circular Quay.

For Melbourne, Healesville is a different experience. If you like wildlife, it is worth doing both.

Taroonga Zoo is in a spectacular location, and you can do it yourself.   If you are not from Australia then I would recommend Healesville Sanctuary as apart from the Australian animals you see a bit of Melbourne countryside too.  

• Like 2

On 10/30/2023 at 7:49 AM, Teachkids2 said:

For Sydney - Taronga Zoo - here are the details 

https://taronga.org.au/sydney-zoo

Note that you are BEST to book online and save %  - further it appears that it's all cashless there.

To get there - you will need to get Opal cards (locate the customer service centres at Circular Quay (this is the hub for the trains and ferries) - and it's a 5min walk from where the cruise ship is  - just load it up with enough $ - based on the costings below :

Trip Planner on the transportnsw website has the cost (about $6.80 each way) 

https://transportnsw.info/routes/details/sydney-ferries/f2/090F2

Edited by shireboi

3 hours ago, shireboi said:

For Sydney - Taronga Zoo - here are the details 

https://taronga.org.au/sydney-zoo

Note that you are BEST to book online and save %  - further it appears that it's all cashless there.

To get there - you will need to get Opal cards (locate the customer service centres at Circular Quay (this is the hub for the trains and ferries) - and it's a 5min walk from where the cruise ship is  - just load it up with enough $ - based on the costings below :

Trip Planner on the transportnsw website has the cost (about $6.80 each way) 

https://transportnsw.info/routes/details/sydney-ferries/f2/090F2

You don't need to buy Opal cards, you can just tap your credit card.

• Like 1

For Burnie we have booked the Burnie Attractions Bus, it seems to be a hop-on hop-off bus going to the Emu Valley Rhododendron Gardens and Hellyers Distillery. We're considering doing their Wings Wildlife Park shuttle bus after the attractions bus or booking the distillery tour. I'd definitely recommend Taronga Zoo for when you're in Sydney, it's a lovely zoo, just get ready for a lot of walking!! 

• Like 1

I would choose Healesville Sanctuary over the Burnie trip every time. The Sanctuary is the best in Australia, very large and comprehensive, in a natural bush setting, and with the opportunity to see normally nocturnal  or very shy elusive creatures like platypus, plus an amazing birds of Prey show. You also get a scenic drive through the beautiful Yarra Valley.

In Burnie, take the free shuttle bus into the centre of town. The locals set up a craft market next to the visitors centre, and it is adjacent to the museum,  also walking distance to other things to see.

Edited by cruiser3775
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Yes I realise that, I was just correcting the statement that you need to buy Opal cards.

then you have to install the app, turn on NFC, ENSURE that you have access to the internet (data sim or using roaming), credit cards, fees,  etc etc etc for a one day user - much easier just to get a card, less to worry about

https://sydneyexpert.com/opal-cards-visitors-sydney/#:~:text=Off-peak travel is 30,peak fares all the time.

Edited by shireboi

23 minutes ago, shireboi said:

then you have to install the app, turn on NFC, ENSURE that you have access to the internet (data sim or using roaming), credit cards, fees,  etc etc etc for a one day user - much easier just to get a card, less to worry about

https://sydneyexpert.com/opal-cards-visitors-sydney/#:~:text=Off-peak travel is 30,peak fares all the time.

Why do you need an app? You are just using your credit card and there is a minimum top up of $20 when you get the Opal card which you might not use.

Screenshot 2023-10-31 132258.png

Edited by possum52

11 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Why do you need an app? You are just using your credit card and there is a minimum top up of $20 when you get the Opal card which you might not use.

Screenshot 2023-10-31 132258.png

Do you what to keep things SIMPLE for tourists - or just make it more non simple ??  

No probs  - I wont comment any further in providing assistance for foreign tourists.  

Edited by shireboi

30 minutes ago, shireboi said:

Do you what to keep things SIMPLE for tourists - or just make it more non simple ??  

No probs  - I wont comment any further in providing assistance for foreign tourists.  

Using a credit card is much simpler than obtaining an Opal card. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Unless you are a senior and may not have a smart phone and are entitled to the seniors discount rate.

Fair enough. But you can't obtain a seniors/ pensioner card unless you are Australian and you can't purchase one over the counter, only order online as I have had to do and as others on here would had to have done. Why do you need a smart phone when you just tap your credit card?

Opal Card

Senior/Pensioner Opal card

Senior/Pensioner

for eligible NSW seniors, interstate seniors, pensioners and asylum seekers

How to use contactless | transportnsw.info

Simply tap on and tap off with your contactless card or device on the Opal reader to pay the Adult fare and receive all the same travel benefits.

Opal Card

• Like 2

ShireBoi, I don't understand your objections, and they do not fit with my experience. I am a visitor when I come to Sydney. I pick one of my credit cards and I use that to tap on and off when using the train and the light rail, That's all I do. I don't use my phone or download any app. Just the credit card. 

I'm probably eligible for the Seniors discount if I went to the trouble of getting one, but as I understand it, the daily cap on fares is something like $7 or $8 a day, whether it's using an Opal card or your personal credit card. If I'm only there for a few days, it's not worth my time to get an Opal card or the Seniors discount.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, shireboi said:

turn on NFC, ENSURE that you have access to the internet (data sim or using roaming), credit cards, fees,  etc etc etc

Besides what the others said, NFC is always on not that it would work with an app anyway as you would have your card in your eWallet. You don't need data or an internet connection to make payments, that is handled by the terminal. A CC doesn't have WiFi and it works.

13 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Unless you are a senior and may not have a smart phone and are entitled to the seniors discount rate.

Not if you are from overseas (I don't know the location of the OP or others referencing the topic).

17 hours ago, yarramar said:

If you use credit cards, you must have one for each adult, i.e. 8 cards.

If you want to use Opal cards, you also need one for each adult which means opening and preloading 8 accounts.

From Circular Quay, it is also possible to buy 8 single trip adult tickets with cash or a single credit card. These are adult fare with no concession. Ditto for single tickets from Taronga Zoo back to Circular Quay.

The only thing that is critical when using your credit card is that you use the same card for tapping off that you used to tap on. Otherwise, you just use them exactly the same as your Opal - way more convenient for someone visiting NSW. If you qualify for a seniors concession, it is worth setting up an Opal card for multiple trips, but not worth the hassle for a couple of small trips.

• Like 3

On 10/25/2023 at 8:57 PM, shireboi said:

it's not cheap  $N15 return.  

https://taurangaharbourferry.rezdy.com/

We'll be getting the day bus pass for $N7.80 and taking a few trips around the areas

https://faqs.baybus.co.nz/hc/en-nz/articles/7305813525135-Tauranga-Urban-and-School-Bus-Fares

MAKE SURE you have $NZ cash if you want to do this !!

maps 

https://www.baybus.co.nz/tauranga-western-bay/tauranga-and-western-bay/

What are must sees and dos in Tauranga?

• Like 1

On 11/1/2023 at 6:42 AM, Teachkids2 said:

What are must sees and dos in Tauranga?

Tauranga is the jumping off point for trips to Rotorua (basically one big thermal wonderland), and Hobbiton (where they shot parts of the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies).  Neither of these attractions are terribly close to Tauranga, so pre-booking tours is an excellent idea.

I must admit, I've never spent any time in the city itself - I've done tours to Rotorua on both of my previous visits.

Edited by Vader1111
  • Like 1

I went on a tour to Rotorua from Tauranga. It wasn't a pre-booked tour. The local tourist bureau sets up a big marquee just at the entrance gate to the port and gives advice on tours from many different companies, and takes bookings. You can pay by credit card. The tours then leave from just outside the gate.

If you plan to do this, get off the ship as early as you can manage, because the most popular tours get filled quickly.

2 hours ago, Vader1111 said:

Tauranga is the jumping off point for trips to Rotorua (basically one big thermal wonderland), and Hobbiton (where they shot parts of the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies).  Neither of these attractions are terribly close to Tauranga, so pre-booking tours is an excellent idea.

I must admit, I've never spent any time in the city itself - I've done tours to Rotorua on both of my previous visits.

Thanks! We are staying in Aukland 2 extra days after the cruise and have already booked the excursion for Hobbiton and Rotorua from Aukland. 

The cruise wharf is actually on the Mt Maunganui side of Tauranga Harbour. It's an easy walk to the shopping centre, cafes and restaurants, the ocean beach, and Mt Maunganui itself. If you're feeling energetic there is a walking track to the top of the Mount. There are hot water swimming pools at the base of the Mount, very nice for a relaxing soak especially on cooler days.

If you want to go over to Tauranga city center the local buses stop just down the road from the terminal exit or you could take the ferry across which leaves from the jetty next to the cruise terminal. 

The kiosk at the entrance to the cruise terminal may have tours you can go on last minute.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/30/2023 at 4:49 AM, Teachkids2 said:

On my NCL cruise in February (same itinerary), we are taking the ferry to Taronga Zoo for the day.  The next day we will take the train to the Blue Mountains.  I have an Opal card, my son will tap his debit card on the day.

In late December I did the Twofold Bay cruise in Eden and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I’d do it again. Other passengers really enjoyed the new whale museum.

Healesville Sanctuary is a long way out from Station Pier, but definitely worth visiting.  You will see platypus and koalas there.

Do at least Healesville PLUS Taronga Zoo. The zoo is so easy to get to by ferry.

Edited by Port Power
  • Thanks 1