On the Encore Seattle to Alaska 10/22

Smitheroo

This isnt exactly "live from the Encore" but just to report I am now currently on the 10/22 cruise on the Encore to Alaska. Both my travel partner and I agree that we are enjoying this cruise more than the one on the Joy to Mexico last February (which we loved) Everything seems to be running smoother. Not sure how many pax on board, that could be the reason. Definitely less children and all that are here seem to be very well behaved.  Embarkation was seamless.  The Beatles show was a much bigger production.   Only the 3rd day but having a great time. Could easily become addicted to this lifestyle.  One thing that impresses me is how there is a "style" of cruising for everyone, even on the same ship.  There's the noisy, cafeteria style Garden Cafe, the elegant main dining rooms without having to go to specialty restaurants. Room service if you want it. (I dont think a service charge of $4.95 is a deal breaker)  Or maybe you are a "grazer", grabbing bites to eat as you go throughout the day. Food served just about everywhere.  We are now pulling into Juneau.

Edited by Smitheroo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting.  I’m following the ship right now because I get on in Seattle on the 29th and can hardly wait!  I’ve been checking the web cam and it looks like you are having a beautiful sunny day in Juneau.  Enjoy the rest of the cruise!

On 10/24/2023 at 2:18 PM, bomabound said:

Thanks for posting.  I’m following the ship right now because I get on in Seattle on the 29th and can hardly wait!  I’ve been checking the web cam and it looks like you are having a beautiful sunny day in Juneau.  Enjoy the rest of the cruise!

the weather has been great.  Just a bit chilly although the decks at night are blustery.  No rain at all so far.  Very smooth seas.  

• Like 1

On 10/24/2023 at 6:18 PM, bomabound said:

Embarkation in Seattle was seamless.  My only other experience with NCL has been the Port of Los Angeles.   

On 10/24/2023 at 6:19 PM, BirdTravels said:

Thank you for your post. Enjoy beautiful Alaska (we were on this same cruise last month). 

I wouldnt mind doing this one again.  I didnt get off the ship in Juneau but really liked Skagway.   Plenty of shops still open and most have end of season discounts. 

Hi Smitheroo

Actually would be kind enough to find out if Chef Gomes and Guest Service Mgr Belkys are staying for the Seattle to Miami leg.

There will probably a wholesale change in crew when the "new" season (reposition) begins this Sunday.

Much appreciated

Thanks

So pleased you are having great weather.  I had been watching windy.com after the first report of rough seas early this month, and it looks like your sailing is the first this month that wasn’t exceptionally rough.  Enjoy your cruise.

I'm sitting in SeaTac Airport waiting for my red eye flight home.   So sorry the cruise is over.  It was great.  The only thing I would criticize is the wifi system. I was supposed to have 150 minutes, or thereabouts, and I was never able to log on with my computer.  I did get on the computers in the internet cafe.  The other thing that was a nuisance is the way the lights operate in the cabin. You need to keep your key card in the slot or the lights (and outlets)  go out after an interval. I could have asked about both problems so they werent major. No complaints about anything else. Both embarkation and disembarkation were seamless. Port Valet is a great program.  I wouldnt bother with specialty dining but I know others feel differently.  We did get to see Choir of Man.  Lots of energy on stage.  Some people saw the northern lights towards the end. I could never stay up late enough.  And the shower with piping hot water was delightful.    The Encore is a really lovely ship

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

I'm sitting in SeaTac Airport waiting for my red eye flight home.   So sorry the cruise is over.  It was great.  The only thing I would criticize is the wifi system. I was supposed to have 150 minutes, or thereabouts, and I was never able to log on with my computer.  I did get on the computers in the internet cafe.  The other thing that was a nuisance is the way the lights operate in the cabin. You need to keep your key card in the slot or the lights (and outlets)  go out after an interval. I could have asked about both problems so they werent major. No complaints about anything else. Both embarkation and disembarkation were seamless. Port Valet is a great program.  I wouldnt bother with specialty dining but I know others feel differently.  We did get to see Choir of Man.  Lots of energy on stage.  Some people saw the northern lights towards the end. I could never stay up late enough.  And the shower with piping hot water was delightful.    The Encore is a really lovely ship

Actually you can use any business size card, old credit card in the cabin power slot. It does have to be your cabin key. I have a few blanks I bring along

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

Actually you can use any business size card, old credit card in the cabin power slot. It does have to be your cabin key. I have a few blanks I bring along

Just use the key card you forgot to leave at the hotel.  I’ve also used an expired AAA card. 😎

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

Did Encore have Starlink yet / it was still slow?  Or has the ship not been upgraded yet?   We are traveling next year and my wife was going to try and work remotely (pay extra for the unlimited premium wifi option that allows streaming/etc).

6 minutes ago, jaybert said:

Did Encore have Starlink yet / it was still slow?  Or has the ship not been upgraded yet?   We are traveling next year and my wife was going to try and work remotely (pay extra for the unlimited premium wifi option that allows streaming/etc).

I hope they dont have Starlink yet because if they do, it is horrible.  I was not happy with the wifi situation (the only thing I wasnt happy with) I had the free minutes from Free at Sea. I was never able to use it.  Nothing would open for me. If I went to the Internet Cafe and used one of the ship computer's I was able to use the wifi. So dont know what was up with that.  My travel partner works remotely from the ship with no problems. He got the most expensive upgrade. 

On 10/26/2023 at 1:58 PM, laudergayle said:

So pleased you are having great weather.  I had been watching windy.com after the first report of rough seas early this month, and it looks like your sailing is the first this month that wasn’t exceptionally rough.  Enjoy your cruise.

the weather was perfect.  You did need warm clothes for the deck and gloves and hat definitely made shore excursions more comfortable. No rain.  Extremely smooth seas. 

On 10/24/2023 at 6:18 PM, bomabound said:

we are so jealous lol!  Would have loved to continue on.  We met a couple who had already been on the ship for weeks and was continuing on the 21 day cruise

3 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

I hope they dont have Starlink yet because if they do, it is horrible.  I was not happy with the wifi situation (the only thing I wasnt happy with) I had the free minutes from Free at Sea. I was never able to use it.  Nothing would open for me. If I went to the Internet Cafe and used one of the ship computer's I was able to use the wifi. So dont know what was up with that.  My travel partner works remotely from the ship with no problems. He got the most expensive upgrade. 

the Encore ship page on NCL lists Starlink, thats sad to hear though if it was on / performance still very bad...

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/encore

Just now, jaybert said:

the Encore ship page on NCL lists Starlink, thats sad to hear though if it was on / performance still very bad...

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/encore

I could have asked what the problem could be but since i had no problem using the ship computers in the internet cafe I didnt bother

• Like 2

On 10/25/2023 at 9:00 PM, Smitheroo said:

Embarkation in Seattle was seamless.  My only other experience with NCL has been the Port of Los Angeles.   

I would like to add that disembarkation (?) was equally seamless. We used the Port Valet service but didnt get off the ship while it was being called. Instead had a nice breakfast and then got off.  So easy.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

Internet service and wifi are two different things.

Wifi connects your device to the ship's system; the ship then connects to a satellite.

It's quite possible that the computers in the internet cafe are hardwired to the system and not using wifi at all.

17 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

I would like to add that disembarkation (?) was equally seamless. We used the Port Valet service but didnt get off the ship while it was being called. Instead had a nice breakfast and then got off.  So easy.   

I agree, Port Valet in Seattle is awesome.  We even had them take our carryon luggage.  I wish other ports had such programs.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2023 at 6:02 PM, Smitheroo said:

I wouldnt mind doing this one again.  I didnt get off the ship in Juneau but really liked Skagway.   Plenty of shops still open and most have end of season discounts. 

We were just on the Bliss a day in front of you and were not able to dock at Juneau as the winds were to high. I enjoy Juneau and would have like to have seen the Mendenhall Glacier as well as its always fun to stop at the Red Dog Saloon. The weather was nice after the first couple of windy days. 

3 hours ago, jetact said:

We were just on the Bliss a day in front of you and were not able to dock at Juneau as the winds were to high. I enjoy Juneau and would have like to have seen the Mendenhall Glacier as well as its always fun to stop at the Red Dog Saloon. The weather was nice after the first couple of windy days. 

my travel partner did get off the ship in Juneau and had a beer at the Red Dog Saloon

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

Internet service and wifi are two different things.

Wifi connects your device to the ship's system; the ship then connects to a satellite.

It's quite possible that the computers in the internet cafe are hardwired to the system and not using wifi at all.

Okay that could be the reason.