Celebrity Millennium Japan - 10/24/2023 - Live(ish) Report

Miaminice

14 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Thanks.  My question was more about which itinerary should I do first?  I think that I will go with Japan...

You can´t go wrong! 🙂 
Both are very enriching itineraries 👍

• Like 1

Intersting Information

If you are heading to Japan this spring in hopes of seeing the Somei Yoshino (Yoshino cherry) trees, the Japan Meteorological Corporation released its peak bloom prediction dates for more than 1,000 cities throughout the country.

Traditional hanami (flower-watching) celebrations in Japan happen across the country from mid-March through early May, though peak cherry blossoms vary slightly depending on location.In Tokyo, for example, the forecasted flowering date is March 23, with full bloom expected seven days later on March 30. In Kyoto, the blooms are expected to become flowers on the same date as in Tokyo (March 23); full bloom is expected two days later than in Tokyo on April 1.

Though it's unlikely that most people will be able to change their travel plans to accommodate peak bloom viewing, the meteorological corporation advises those who will be in Japan around those peak dates to download the Sakura Navi app for updated progression by location.

The agency's forecasting method is based on the temperatures during fall and winter, cherry tree growth status, overall temperatures and data from previous years.

"The flowering and full bloom dates of cherry blossoms depend on the temperature patterns from autumn of the preceding year. The buds of cherry blossoms are formed during the summer of the preceding year. Before they flower, they must go through two processes: dormancy and growth," according to the Japan Meteorological Corporation. "Buds do not start growing as soon as they are formed; they first enter a period of dormancy. Dormancy allows the buds to survive the winter, with its cold weather and short days. During dormancy, buds do not show any visible development. However, once they enter the growth stage, they will grow increasingly large as the moment of flowering draws nearer."image.png.89870978b584b87d18f08ba619d7e522.png

image.png.07214db839d27da9e223b7330a5d469c.png

map_en.png?width=3840
  • Like 2

Miaminice and Bright, Truly enjoyed your journal, and thank you for taking the time to share with us your trips. Everything is so informative, and our unselfishness make my research and planning much easier for the upcomming trip in March.

I do have couple questions, and hope you are able to answer.

What form of transportaion besides taxi is available at the port of Kyoto?

Did you exchage money in Jeju or the locals would accept US dollars (like some other coutries would)?

Do most of the restaurants and shops accept credit cards in Japan?

Did you have any issue using your Ubigi sim card?

Thank you 

@itingmeimei

Thank you, it’s really our pleasure. Traveling is a passion for us and who doesn’t like to share a passion?! 

To answer your questions…

What form of transportation besides taxi is available at the port of Kyoto?

There are trains/subways. Japan is the land of trains. Quick, clean and easy. 
We only chose the taxi to save the time and way to the the stations. Taxi isn’t really expensive either. In Kyoto the Uber App worked for taxis.

Did you exchage money in Jeju or the locals would accept US dollars (like some other coutries would)?

We did not exchange any money. Actually even the market stall where we bought the grilled pork lunch accepted credit card. I used Applepay/contactless. Restaurants and shops accept cards as well and we paid for the tickets to the gardens per credit card. So there was just no need to exchange money. We didn’t try but I‘d think USD are not accepted at these places.

Standard restaurants and shops yes. Some places had the “ticket machines” for food. Not all machines accepted cards,

However, that’s not a problem at all. All of the omnipresent 7eleven, Lawsons, Familymarts etc. have ATMs. The fee is so marginal - 1 $ or so - that we always just get Yen as we go in Japan.

No, not at all! The eSIM concept is easy and simple. Ubigi and Airalo are two reliable sources. I was told Ubigi has better connectivity in Japan. On our xmas cruise to Vietnam and Thailand I used Airalo and it also worked just great.

Oliver

2 hours ago, Miaminice said:

@itingmeimei

Thank you, it’s really our pleasure. Traveling is a passion for us and who doesn’t like to share a passion?! 

To answer your questions…

What form of transportation besides taxi is available at the port of Kyoto?

There are trains/subways. Japan is the land of trains. Quick, clean and easy. 
We only chose the taxi to save the time and way to the the stations. Taxi isn’t really expensive either. In Kyoto the Uber App worked for taxis.

We did not exchange any money. Actually even the market stall where we bought the grilled pork lunch accepted credit card. I used Applepay/contactless. Restaurants and shops accept cards as well and we paid for the tickets to the gardens per credit card. So there was just no need to exchange money. We didn’t try but I‘d think USD are not accepted at these places.

Standard restaurants and shops yes. Some places had the “ticket machines” for food. Not all machines accepted cards,

However, that’s not a problem at all. All of the omnipresent 7eleven, Lawsons, Familymarts etc. have ATMs. The fee is so marginal - 1 $ or so - that we always just get Yen as we go in Japan.

No, not at all! The eSIM concept is easy and simple. Ubigi and Airalo are two reliable sources. I was told Ubigi has better connectivity in Japan. On our xmas cruise to Vietnam and Thailand I used Airalo and it also worked just great.

Oliver

Thank you,Oliver for answer all my questions. Wish you safe journey on your next trip.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2023 at 9:12 PM, Miaminice said:

2023 - Japan - Celebrity Millennium - Day 2 - Tokyo/Yokohama

A good night‘s rest must be followed by a good and tasty breakfast - I am pretty sure that’s an old Japanese proverb. If not, we followed it anyway. The buffet at the hotel made it easy. It offered a nice choice of Asian and western delights and Birgit thoroughly enjoyed the healthy Asian part.

IMG_5283.thumb.jpeg.829377ee12c8adc4ccec02d781d39fec.jpeg

IMG_5286.thumb.jpeg.dd8cbc0617277e7178b648c764d23b9d.jpeg

Following breakfast we decided to take the train to Yoyogi Park. The park is for Tokyo what Central Park would be for New York or Hyde Park for London. And hidden within the area of Yoyogi Park and forest lies the Meji-Jingu shine of Emperor Meiji and his wife Shoken. Once you enter the Park through the huge Torii gates, everything seems to decelerate. It becomes quiet - the sound of silence only enhanced by the song of the birds - and the air is filled with the earthy sent of the 120,000 trees donated by the people of Japan.

IMG_5287.thumb.jpeg.05533719d997abdb4ea0dba3276e4d2f.jpeg

IMG_5289.thumb.jpeg.c537c6713f21124fe04b349693ff63af.jpeg

IMG_5290.thumb.jpeg.c0f77312fcbdde47fa6cea6a170034d2.jpeg

Following the wide gravel road through the forest, mindful not to take the middle part which is reserved for the Emperor, we reached the impressive shrine.

IMG_5291.thumb.jpeg.2e99b38b008486611a9563dc5e8a711e.jpeg

IMG_5292.thumb.jpeg.606c5aedddb4e9ced031712499a3a715.jpeg

IMG_5293.thumb.jpeg.746647ec380a96b74ec4421a12fb95e2.jpeg

IMG_5294.jpeg

IMG_5298.thumb.jpeg.8bca20a3a4a3b25d820a683a1e75d79b.jpeg

IMG_5297.thumb.jpeg.d2435eefd839a55e3cd6c0c93d9b3a7f.jpeg

IMG_5296.thumb.jpeg.ebb945336a29b617dfc0444ab84a8060.jpeg

IMG_5295.thumb.jpeg.35ffb32ef3e8c7e8d7e47880dc1df94f.jpeg

IMG_5308.thumb.jpeg.61f315b5e0c95ee0eb399bac6b2346ea.jpeg

Walking around the two “husband and wife” trees, bound together for eternity, strolling by the wooden tablets with wishes written on them and bowing before the shrine for a wish ourselves, we knew why we love Japan so much. The pleasant cocktail of crazy and mind boggling metropolises mixed with the pure tranquility and serenity of Japanese gardens and shrines enhanced by a very generous shot of friendliness and respect from and for the Japanese people just goes down so very well.

Due to some Meiji festivities, donations were displayed around the area. Chrysanthemum flowers, representing the Imperial family, Bonsai trees… all very nice to look at.

IMG_5313.thumb.jpeg.cde09f40c053f70e80e7ed4d71091d7e.jpeg

IMG_5314.thumb.jpeg.016e54f6b89a5f87ac220d0c6a453d2f.jpeg

IMG_5320.thumb.jpeg.14cf0494582103b4292414a18e13039d.jpeg

IMG_5325.thumb.jpeg.b817d64b808432fee78616782fc32612.jpeg

IMG_5326.thumb.jpeg.721e4eda1b7e747f01f5bde239774b7a.jpeg

When it was time to start the next part of our journey, we returned to the hotel - not without a stop at another Uniqlo store -picked up our luggage and took the JR train to Yokohama.

When we reached Yokohama station about 35 minutes later, we took a taxi from the station which I called and paid by using the Uber App.
Driving up to the cruise terminal, it was nice to see the big blue hull of our home for the next two weeks on Yokohama’s pretty Osanbashi port. 
Embarkation on Millennium took less time than it took to look at the watch. We presented our boarding passes on the App and basically walked right through. No desk, no wait… we were really impressed. 
Once on board, the positive surprise continued. We hadn’t been on a refurbished M class before. They have given this elderly M class lady a very nice touch up and it felt as if we were on a new modern ship. Although we thought Infinity was in good shape a few months ago, Infinity’s old and Millennium’s modernized design now felt like night and day. Same goes for our stateroom 1106 (A1 Aqua Class). The new colors and design really met our taste. We also enjoyed the changes made to the Ocean View Café and the Sunset Bar. Millennium is still no S or E class, but bravo!
While Birgit unpacked her luggage I sipped on a Latte from Al Bacio on our balcony before we headed to the sailaway meeting at the Sunset Bar to meet some fellow cruisers with whom we‘ll be doing tours.

IMG_5337.thumb.jpeg.67679a2328e2d5fe02fc91f72c1163db.jpeg

IMG_5329.thumb.jpeg.ee76b0bb1db2ed21a6d16e454c8e39ff.jpeg

IMG_5334.thumb.jpeg.be6267f297ab5b6f44847e5bc5e41e63.jpeg

IMG_5336.thumb.jpeg.568b3d8baf1e8eafa79d3aec92eaf216.jpeg

IMG_5339.thumb.jpeg.7a88821312f466b8fe57616c85715fe3.jpeg

IMG_5348.thumb.jpeg.6d315461731d590073470f60cd45f33f.jpeg

IMG_5344.thumb.jpeg.f58570f280b15dc05ee788445d82611f.jpeg

IMG_5347.thumb.jpeg.8da0acab6e637c55f2baff9e51898d04.jpeg

IMG_5350.thumb.jpeg.cf346fd694261fd6cc81695bc7112f2f.jpeg

IMG_5351.thumb.jpeg.d32e79612ece2369a96ef84e49d6de68.jpeg

When darkness set in, the skyline of Yokohama began to shine and presented a beautiful background for the start of our cruise.

IMG_5362.thumb.jpeg.a0099f222335644b0a859eb95a7d08a4.jpeg

IMG_5363.thumb.jpeg.20a504ebc550998d6cdf65dc797997f5.jpeg

We had dinner at Blu and a tea for a nightcap at Al Bacio before going to bed early… those of you who know us know that we are actually pretty boring people 😉

Hello,

My husband and I will be in Yokohama following our Millennium cruise in March. We are staying near the port (New Grand Hotel).  I would like to visit Kamakura and was trying to find out  how far it is to the train station in Yokohama and how far is it to the Big Buddha from the Kamakura train station. I remember reading that you made this trip, also any other suggestions you might have for not to be missed places in Kamakura.  Thanks, your live blogs and photos are always wonderful and make us feel as though we are there with you.

Jane

5 hours ago, Mickey22 said:

Hello,

My husband and I will be in Yokohama following our Millennium cruise in March. We are staying near the port (New Grand Hotel).  I would like to visit Kamakura and was trying to find out  how far it is to the train station in Yokohama and how far is it to the Big Buddha from the Kamakura train station. I remember reading that you made this trip, also any other suggestions you might have for not to be missed places in Kamakura.  Thanks, your live blogs and photos are always wonderful and make us feel as though we are there with you.

Jane

Trains are the way to go in Japan. So unless you are walkers like us, just find the nearest subway station by your hotel - Motomachi-iriguchi - and take the subway to Yokohama station.

Once you are at Yokohama Station take the JR train to Kamakura.

We walked to the Buddha (roughly 30 min) but you can take the train which we took back both ways (Hase Station). There’s also a bus. Google or Applemaps will show you all connections once you are there.
The three places we saw in Kamakura were awesome and filled the day, so the Buddha, the nearby Hase-dera-Temple and Tsurugaoka Hachimangu (walk from Kamakura Station) are definitely what we‘d recommend. The day was one of the highlights of the entire trip - the icing on the cake so to speak.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Miaminice said:

Trains are the way to go in Japan. So unless you are walkers like us, just find the nearest subway station by your hotel - Motomachi-iriguchi - and take the subway to Yokohama station.

Once you are at Yokohama Station take the JR train to Kamakura.

We walked to the Buddha (roughly 30 min) but you can take the train which we took back both ways (Hase Station). There’s also a bus. Google or Applemaps will show you all connections once you are there.
The three places we saw in Kamakura were awesome and filled the day, so the Buddha, the nearby Hase-dera-Temple and Tsurugaoka Hachimangu (walk from Kamakura Station) are definitely what we‘d recommend. The day was one of the highlights of the entire trip - the icing on the cake so to speak.

Thank you so much for your help! We look forward to having a wonderful day in Kamakura.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kj_connections said:

Thanks for the report and beautiful pictures.  Could you tell me if the solarium pool allows kids? Was there any Japanese food on the ship outside of paid restaurants?

I am not sure about the solarium - but as much as I know there´s a certain time when kids are allowed.

The buffet had some Japanes dishes sometime and one Ramen day. Otherwise no. 
But the restaurants in Japan are great - go try local.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kj_connections said:

Thanks for the report and beautiful pictures.  Could you tell me if the solarium pool allows kids? Was there any Japanese food on the ship outside of paid restaurants?

Delete

Edited by Suzi66
Wrong forum.

11 hours ago, Miaminice said:

I am not sure about the solarium - but as much as I know there´s a certain time when kids are allowed.

The buffet had some Japanes dishes sometime and one Ramen day. Otherwise no. 
But the restaurants in Japan are great - go try local.

Thanks.  Good to know they have some hours for kids in case the weather is too cold for the main pool

On 2/2/2024 at 8:02 AM, kj_connections said:

Here is the sign posted at the entrance to the solarium on our last Millennium sailing.

image.thumb.png.ff00c9d971ddd5b84eb3ead81ea9b26f.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Have found your posts very interesting and helpful. We are going on Millennium to Japan next year and are not seasoned cruisers. We are looking at tour options. If we book privately or do our own thing, will we be delayed getting off the ship as the ship tours get priority to disembark?

12 hours ago, ClarP said:

Have found your posts very interesting and helpful. We are going on Millennium to Japan next year and are not seasoned cruisers. We are looking at tour options. If we book privately or do our own thing, will we be delayed getting off the ship as the ship tours get priority to disembark?

Since there is no tender port, the delay is minimal - if there’s one at all. 
as soon as the ship is cleared, you are good to go.

Sometimes a different exit as the booked tours but at the same time.

Edited by Miaminice
  • Thanks 1

Another question, how early do you book private tours? Some of the ship ones are already sold out. We are wondering whether to do the ship one in Hiroshima as it is a short stop and there is a lot to see. We are going in March 2025. Thank you. 

2 hours ago, ClarP said:

Another question, how early do you book private tours? Some of the ship ones are already sold out. We are wondering whether to do the ship one in Hiroshima as it is a short stop and there is a lot to see. We are going in March 2025. Thank you. 

Usually I book tours between a year to 6 months before. Since I look for people on the roll calls to join us, I like to be early. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey Oliver!

Just stumbled upon this travelogue..and loved it!  Did you complete one for you Singapore cruise?  I'd love to read --considering this route for a trip in 2025.

Thanks for taking the time - 

Cowie

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2023 at 11:59 PM, Miaminice said:

2023 – Japan – Celebrity Millennium – Day 3 – Shimizu 

Early in the morning we were woken up by the sun shining into our stateroom - and of course the drive for exploration. We only had time until 2:30pm so we got up early and had breakfast at the Oceanview rather than taking our time in Blu. 

IMG_5369.thumb.jpeg.2485ee1dcc7fe448dfebe5a5e0659699.jpeg

IMG_0299.thumb.jpeg.b272ebcf8009e211508fc502d6f19109.jpeg

Since we had been to Shimizu on two previous cruises, we had only planned a short DIY tour with some fellow cruisers to the Kunozan Toshogu shrine. A shrine which had already left a positive and lasting impression on our first visit. Shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu‘s resting place is overwhelmingly detailed and beautiful. So we took a taxi to the Nihondaira Ropeway and took the cable car to the shrine nestled into the hillside of Mount Kunozan after visiting the observatory deck close to the parking lot.

IMG_5373.thumb.jpeg.46bfea6dac6936a0fa32380d531b4945.jpeg

IMG_5374.thumb.jpeg.00a8c7b7c10eb4717c9fa63afac707a1.jpeg

The details and colors of this shrine are magnificent. A real feast for the eye. See for yourselves…

IMG_5376.thumb.jpeg.2ebe3b68f67e46a4d973f89bcd5c239d.jpegIMG_5378.thumb.jpeg.19fc31f40bae4472a50fbac10e2f356b.jpeg

IMG_5380.thumb.jpeg.58bb9e5cbbfa6c73a0df9a62f517b85b.jpeg

IMG_5382.thumb.jpeg.9e0b7711ae069b531b9adfa7bc671069.jpeg

IMG_5385.thumb.jpeg.02854cc01a3fab1b7be41e354fdf4955.jpeg

IMG_5389.thumb.jpeg.9debf24b09f354cc17668fdcc46c9ac1.jpeg

IMG_5390.thumb.jpeg.d24549f14d23fa8d1610920ffe27bad9.jpeg

IMG_5392.thumb.jpeg.272a208d8bd6ee268e59ab3350999dc0.jpeg

IMG_5394.thumb.jpeg.98fbaf84fb6ac8999a9a1f793dd5dc42.jpeg

IMG_5398.thumb.jpeg.7dab70b853089ec5304f3ecbcb848644.jpeg

IMG_5399.thumb.jpeg.3f14fdcfdfacb14a05f6f46bf7245bc2.jpeg

IMG_5402.thumb.jpeg.2a35ba9613db33feb9ea8b3fd10d5ddc.jpeg

IMG_5403.thumb.jpeg.30559926fce6a6c45f7e27c4b46c1549.jpeg

IMG_5405.thumb.jpeg.f006d64af728f7cf21c671d8edbf3161.jpeg

IMG_5411.thumb.jpeg.c6c7f192cd4844599607024c4554cabb.jpeg

We had tentatively planned to visit Sumpu Castle, Tokugawa Ieyasu‘s birthplace, as well after the shrine but decided against it due to Millennium‘s early sailing time. So we took a taxi back to the port.

When we reached the ship, Birgit and I decided to walk over to the nearby S-Pulse Dream Plaza shopping center.

IMG_5435.thumb.jpeg.b6457950ac7c303a9d3038ece1bea04b.jpeg

When we were almost there, an elderly lady who was with the Shimizu Volunteer Guides walked next to us and asked if we enjoyed the day and where we were from. When we told her that we are from Germany, she was delighted and spoke German to us. She had lived in Berlin for a while. Just like us she was on her way to have lunch at the shopping center and kindly offered to show us her favorite places and food. Happy about the insight B and I got some freshly prepared rice bowls and really enjoyed the local food. 

IMG_5437.thumb.jpeg.01ebefd6ab259fd710008ac0afd022f4.jpeg

IMG_5438.thumb.jpeg.4b1d3f93db7a0515a622e003187853dd.jpeg

While having lunch, I looked at a walking tour map of Shimizu and we decided to visit a shrine which was only a 15 minute walk away. When we reached Minowa Inari Shrine we were approached by an elderly gentleman also introducing himself as one of the Shimizu Volunteer Guides. He kindly asked if he could show us around. An offer we gladly accepted. So the gentleman took us through the 83 Torii gates, explained that the shrine was dedicated to the god of rice and introduced us to the etiquette of visiting a Shinto Shrine. His friendliness and respectful pride was heartwarming.

IMG_5442.thumb.jpeg.3706c12ae4bb66b1f3acb54d6b153a39.jpeg

IMG_5444.thumb.jpeg.e38d0cc8b6fb8ddf9258358d98936cef.jpeg

IMG_5447.thumb.jpeg.d3bde6a96a731f8318a63fccde8cee61.jpeg

IMG_5452.thumb.jpeg.a2166816b2ab5bbc4ced7308a5abaac9.jpeg

IMG_5453.thumb.jpeg.b103db82f29f619fdfa37e66d49424a9.jpeg

IMG_5454.thumb.jpeg.10a39c70e2757eaeb931fc054df698bd.jpeg

IMG_5460.thumb.jpeg.846a7eee5a0ed2b9ec4c87b697e61ac8.jpeg

With big smiles on our faces and our hearts filled with gratitude we headed towards Myokeiji Temple, which was just around the corner. As soon as we entered the grounds of the Buddhist Temple, a lovely lady of the guides offered to show us around.

In very good English and a very kind and pleasant manner she explained some differences of Shintoism and Buddhism to us and seemed genuinely happy when we told her that we had been to Japan before and that we really liked the country and its people. Interacting with her was a pure joy. 

IMG_5464.thumb.jpeg.1aa27ab948df0998b90e4f096cdd0f2a.jpeg

IMG_5468.thumb.jpeg.3564e772787512dce56f9638b39d39c1.jpeg

IMG_5465.thumb.jpeg.09cecdfb9e5cecb9667e234791ba590b.jpeg

IMG_5470.thumb.jpeg.34b4e99d6cf4171b72b2098286d4a68a.jpeg

IMG_5472.thumb.jpeg.ad0979a81e29314755aba520dffe9129.jpeg

IMG_5473.thumb.jpeg.eaaec25e0b45373da469fafba465cc47.jpeg

Keep it mind that these guides don’t do it for tips. Tipping is frowned upon in Japan. They do it because they take real pride in welcoming visitors to their country. On the way back we kept saying how privileged and happy we are to experience this.

IMG_5475.thumb.jpeg.2e3537eb96da23ec56c3dc7d87cc7a8d.jpeg

IMG_5480.thumb.jpeg.29bcd5f4cc6efb13f3ecbd431421331d.jpeg

Back on board we were invited to the helipad for sailaway. Unfortunately Mount Fuji covered himself with clouds when we left. However, despite Fuji san being a bit shy in the end, it was a great day in Shimizu. 

IMG_5482.thumb.jpeg.74d6189ad5ef7f805b1beef4741697d1.jpeg

Since it was Chic Night, we dressed up for dinner later and had a nice dinner at Blu before turning in early (again).

IMG_5484.thumb.jpeg.59964d4102b40f37e9aa3d0cf9d421f5.jpeg

Thank you for this. Can I ask how easy is it to get a taxi to take you here. It will be our first time. How much would we be looking at for a taxi to do this itinerary? We are just 2 people? 

1 hour ago, Donnashaw said:

Thank you for this. Can I ask how easy is it to get a taxi to take you here. It will be our first time. How much would we be looking at for a taxi to do this itinerary? We are just 2 people? 

Taking a taxi was easy. Once you leave the pier there’s a taxi stand. At the stand there are English speaking helpers asking where you want to go. They will tell the driver.

The taxi was JPY 3200 each way.

Miaminice, can you let us know at which port in Hiroshima did Millie dock at? Also, is there complimentary shuttle service into the city? We are doing this same itinerary this coming October. Thank you.