Which is better?

undecided1

I am going on a cruise in January and plan on booking another cruise for the following January. I would be booking a balcony cabin. Currently there is a promotion for a $250 cruise next worth $500 on a future cruise for everyone. Should I get that or wait until my cruise in January to get the cruise next on board?

TIA

The CruiseFIRST, which I believe is what you were referring to being able to get with the current promotion, carries different (more restrictive) terms and conditions for use than the CruiseNEXT do.  Make sure you understand those, it may help you make your decision.

CruiseNEXT page, with the T&C's linked - https://www.ncl.com/cruisenext

CruiseFIRST page, with the T&C's linked - https://www.ncl.com/cruisefirst-program

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, hallux said:

The CruiseFIRST, which I believe is what you were referring to being able to get with the current promotion, carries different (more restrictive) terms and conditions for use than the CruiseNEXT do.  Make sure you understand those, it may help you make your decision.

CruiseNEXT page, with the T&C's linked - https://www.ncl.com/cruisenext

CruiseFIRST page, with the T&C's linked - https://www.ncl.com/cruisefirst-program

Thank you those links were very helpful. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, undecided1 said:

I am going on a cruise in January and plan on booking another cruise for the following January. I would be booking a balcony cabin. Currently there is a promotion for a $250 cruise next worth $500 on a future cruise for everyone. Should I get that or wait until my cruise in January to get the cruise next on board?

TIA

Sounds like you're talking about the Cruise First.

The $250 buys $500 deal comes and goes. The usual deal is for a lesser amount.

I got the $500 deal when I booked last July for January 2024.

When you purchase a Cruise First, you must use it for sailings  120 days or more from the date you purchase it, so it cannot be used until sailing dates in late February 2024 or any later date after that up to 3 years out. 

I think your choice will depend, in part, on when you plan to use these certificates.

• Like 1

I really like the CruiseFirst $500 certs.  I purchase when they are offered and have them available for when I see a good deal that works for us.  As has been stated, the cruise you book must be 120 from the “date of purchase”.  So if you buy today, it sits on your account until you’re ready to use.  It can be used as a down payment on any cruise length or cabin type, as long as it’s 120 days from your purchase date.  iMO, Cruise Next has more restrictions on cabin type and length.  Also, I like to spend $250 in months when I am not funding the “extra expenses” that come when you travel.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

I really like the CruiseFirst $500 certs.  I purchase when they are offered and have them available for when I see a good deal that works for us.  As has been stated, the cruise you book must be 120 from the “date of purchase”.  So if you buy today, it sits on your account until you’re ready to use.  It can be used as a down payment on any cruise length or cabin type, as long as it’s 120 days from your purchase date.  iMO, Cruise Next has more restrictions on cabin type and length.  Also, I like to spend $250 in months when I am not funding the “extra expenses” that come when you travel.  

Can it only be used for down payment?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, undecided1 said:

TIA

Hi Tia, welcoem to CC.  Eiterh is fien , you will save money either way.  Enjoy yoru cruises.

• Like 1

Can I just side track this thread with a question about Cruise Next Deposits.

Are they similarly constrained that they have to be used no later than 120 days before sailing, or can they be used anytime, including on a late booking where full payment is required at the time of booking?? (Nb I know that double up has this 120 day  constraint stated but not clear about non doubleup)

Thinking of getting some when on board in December , but I like to keep my travel plans ultra flexible and often book less than 3 months before sailing.

Edited by ferretktf
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ferretktf said:

Are they similarly constrained that they have to be used no later than 120 days before sailing, or can they be used anytime, including on a late booking where full payment is required at the time of booking?? (Nb I know that double up has this 120 day  constraint stated but not clear about non doubleup)

Thinking of getting some when on board in December , but I like to keep my travel plans ultra flexible and often book less than 3 months before sailing.

CNs have no such restraints.  They can be used any time.  I’ve used them several times when I booked after final payment date.  If there’s a double up offer, you can use two.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ferretktf said:

Are they similarly constrained that they have to be used no later than 120 days before sailing, or can they be used anytime, including on a late booking where full payment is required at the time of booking?? (Nb I know that double up has this 120 day  constraint stated but not clear about non doubleup

I bought some Cruise Next deposits earlier this month while on the Escape.  I used one this morning to book the Getaway in January, 77 days away.  I had to pay in full today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ferretktf said:

you can use a single CN immediately, but if you want to use 2 during double up promos, there is usually a 4 month rule.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, stinkyharriet said:

I bought some Cruise Next deposits earlier this month while on the Escape.  I used one this morning to book the Getaway in January, 77 days away.  I had to pay in full today.

Are cruise next certs the same as cruise first certs. You pay $250 for each certificate and you get a $500 certificate in return?

• Like 1

If you book insides or OV cabins, I'd go with the cruise first instead of the cruise next.  The reason is because cruise first can be used on any cabin types, so you can always get $500.  Cruise next can be used on any cabin type, but when they have the double up promos (to get $500), it usually restricted to balcony and above cabins

• Like 4

Just now, Topdog52 said:

Are cruise next certs the same as cruise first certs. You pay $250 for each certificate and you get a $500 certificate in return?

no.  cruise next cert are worth $250.  You pay either $150 or $125 for them.  Cruise first are worth either $300 or $500 and you pay half ($150 or $250).  To get $500 worth on cruise next, you have to use two of them, which is not always possible

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Topdog52 said:

Your question was answered with the links I posted earlier in the thread....

• Like 1