Return of lost items

lisa6191

Has anyone here had a lost item found and returned to them? I left a credit card and a travel makeup mirror on board Encore a couple weeks ago. I filled out all the forms and had pretty much given up hope, but then today I got an email that they found both items. I was so happy until I went to the site to request that the items be shipped back to me. They want 150 euros as a shipping fee! For a credit card and a small mirror! I’m going to call on Monday, but has anyone had any experience with this? It seems outrageous to me and I have no idea how they arrived at that number. I don’t care about the mirror but I really want the credit card back if possible.

18 minutes ago, lisa6191 said:

Has anyone here had a lost item found and returned to them? I left a credit card and a travel makeup mirror on board Encore a couple weeks ago. I filled out all the forms and had pretty much given up hope, but then today I got an email that they found both items. I was so happy until I went to the site to request that the items be shipped back to me. They want 150 euros as a shipping fee! For a credit card and a small mirror! I’m going to call on Monday, but has anyone had any experience with this? It seems outrageous to me and I have no idea how they arrived at that number. I don’t care about the mirror but I really want the credit card back if possible.

Cancel your credit card.  

• Like 1

Obviously I can do that, but I would prefer not to for a variety of reasons. It has not been used so I have no reason to believe it’s compromised. I may not have a choice though, because I am certainly not paying 150 euros to ship it.

Lisa,

yes, we once forgot the box with the studs for the formal shirt on board. They found it, duly mailed it and charge me something like Euro 80 at that time. They do ship the stuff with Fedex or DHL and that does cost.

So the question is, what is the mirror worth to you? The credit card you can get replaced with the same number as mentioned above

15 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Just call the Credit Card Company and say your card was damaged.   They will send you a new one.

The card company would probably suggest that it be cancelled since it was left behind.  I would cancel it, but I understand it is a hassle to change a credit card number.  

Thanks all. The mirror is $17 on Amazon so obviously I don’t need to pay 150 euros to get that back. And I didn’t realize I can get a new card with the same number, so thanks for that! I will call Seabourn tomorrow and see if they can destroy that card, and if so I will just get a new one.

34 minutes ago, lisa6191 said:

And I didn’t realize I can get a new card with the same number

Just be aware that the new card will have a new CVV code (and possibly a new expiration date), so if you have automated payments connected to this card, you may have to update your information for some payments which require the CVV code. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

Just be aware that the new card will have a new CVV code (and possibly a new expiration date), so if you have automated payments connected to this card, you may have to update your information for some payments which require the CVV code. 

If your card number is used by someone else to purchase items, the credit card company will bear the loss.  This is why they would suggest that you cancel the card.  Telling them it was damaged is not being truthful.  

Edited by SLSD

4 hours ago, cruiseej said:

To be clear, @SLSD, I wasn't recommending telling the credit card company the card was damaged. I was just adding information about why trying to pull that off might not be as helpful as it might appear. 

I did see that--still hurdles to jump over . I was responding to the original poster, but may have put my post on the wrong post.  Sorry about that.  I should have addressed Lisa directly. 

Edited by SLSD

23 hours ago, SLSD said:

The card company would probably suggest that it be cancelled since it was left behind.  I would cancel it, but I understand it is a hassle to change a credit card number.  

They would not necessarily change the number.  They will more likely change the expiration dates and other security measures, but even if they do change your number, it should not effect your account and reward points.

1 hour ago, crusinbanjo said:

They would not necessarily change the number.  They will more likely change the expiration dates and other security measures, but even if they do change your number, it should not effect your account and reward points.

That's good news and would be easier than getting a new number!  Our card company has always changed our number when we had to replace due to lost card or fraud.  

I'm afraid we had an awful experience with leaving something on the ship.  It was something to do with health, that actually cost ££££, along with my husband's meds.  It had a name and address prominent on the outside of the bag, and was accidentally left in the bedside table.

Within 15 minutes of disembarking and realising our error, we were already on the coach going to a SB arranged hotel to wait for our flight.

As soon as we reached the hotel, (maybe 20 minute journey) we had the ground staff there contact the ship and we were told they had it safe and to go back to the ship and collect it.  Such relief!

We caught a taxi straight back and asked the driver to wait.  We waited and waited for someone to see us and we eventually had to let the taxi go.  After some time, an officer we didn't recognise came out and told us it had been put to 'garbage'.   Despite being told it had been found, and was there for us to collect, and catching a taxi back to the ship, it was thrown away.

We then had to get another taxi and head back to the hotel and we were very disappointed at how it was handled.  

On 10/29/2023 at 2:47 PM, lisa6191 said:

Thanks all. The mirror is $17 on Amazon so obviously I don’t need to pay 150 euros to get that back. And I didn’t realize I can get a new card with the same number, so thanks for that! I will call Seabourn tomorrow and see if they can destroy that card, and if so I will just get a new one.

Tell them to donate the mirror to the crew.

5 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

If there is any concern about the card having been compromised, they absolutely will change the card number. If you lie and tell them you have the card in your possession, but it doesn't work or is cracked, they will likely keep the number the same and change the security code. So this falls in a gray area. Do you 100% trust (a) that no-one on the ship would use the card, and (b) that they would reliably destroy the card? If yes, you could tell the credit card company you have the card but need it replaced. But if any fraudulent charges later appear, you might be on the hook without the normal credit card company coverage of the charges. It might be better to just tell the trash that the card was left behind, and let them issue a new number. It's a pain to update all the vendors/providers you have set up for automatic payment, but it's probably worth it for a quick resolution and peace of mind. My 2¢…

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mauzac said:

I'm afraid we had an awful experience with leaving something on the ship.  It was something to do with health, that actually cost ££££, along with my husband's meds.  It had a name and address prominent on the outside of the bag, and was accidentally left in the bedside table.

Within 15 minutes of disembarking and realising our error, we were already on the coach going to a SB arranged hotel to wait for our flight.

As soon as we reached the hotel, (maybe 20 minute journey) we had the ground staff there contact the ship and we were told they had it safe and to go back to the ship and collect it.  Such relief!

We caught a taxi straight back and asked the driver to wait.  We waited and waited for someone to see us and we eventually had to let the taxi go.  After some time, an officer we didn't recognise came out and told us it had been put to 'garbage'.   Despite being told it had been found, and was there for us to collect, and catching a taxi back to the ship, it was thrown away.

We then had to get another taxi and head back to the hotel and we were very disappointed at how it was handled.  

I’m so sorry to hear that. That’s really awful. It’s strange how Seabourn has such wonderful service for some things and such awful service for others.

• Like 1