MSC Meraviglia NOV 5 - NYC Marathon Hot Mess

buffet24

I'm not on that sailing, but the BQE should be ok. There's also the ferry from Pier 11/Wall Street to Red Hook, a short walk to the cruise terminal. The later you arrive, the less congested the area since Brooklyn is in the early part of the marathon. For that same reason, I'd be more concerned if I were on the sailing that disembarks on 11/5.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RichYak said:

There's also the ferry from Pier 11/Wall Street to Red Hook, a short walk to the cruise terminal. 

Take the ferry, in and out, if it fits your plans. Really works well. Cheers…

Edited by Crown Vic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, angelofjoy23 said:

Our hotel is on the port side of 4th Street (marathon route) thankfully.  So I'm hoping I won't have an issue getting an uber to the port.  

That's good!!!  Yeah, we actually have to do this in the morning so I dont foresee any roadblocks per se but hoping it's not backed up too much with race fan traffic... 

image.thumb.png.429d0680fa35d5db35e5c31687aec3c4.png

12 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Due to sketchy weather in the Bahamas, Meraviglia annouced a change from Nassau tomorrow to Miami.  And today as they approached Ocean Cay they turned around and waived off for what looks like a sea day.

That is correct. Yesterday they announced a shortened stop in Ocean Cay and a diversion from Nassau to Miami. This morning they announced we are skipping Ocean Cay altogether.

In other news, this is the third time I will be disembarking in NYC on marathon day. The first two times, I stressed out about it. This time, I have learned it is not as big a deal as it seems, so I am not stressing at all.

Last year I made an 11:00am flight out of JFK without issue. This time my flight isn't until 2:00!

Edited by JamieLogical

56 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

In other news, this is the third time I will be disembarking in NYC on marathon day. The first two times, I stressed out about it. This time, I have learned it is not as big a deal as it seems, so I am not stressing at all.

3rd time???  how's that possible???  Is it always cheap to book the cruise the week before the marathon???  😂😂😂 

OK... so I feel a bit better about the Marathon traffic based on your note...  😉 

But here's a fun fact... the drive from my hotel to the port is 11.5 miles.... less than half a marathon!!!  But we ain't gonna be running there... 😜

6 hours ago, buffet24 said:

3rd time???  how's that possible???  Is it always cheap to book the cruise the week before the marathon???  😂😂😂 

OK... so I feel a bit better about the Marathon traffic based on your note...  😉 

But here's a fun fact... the drive from my hotel to the port is 11.5 miles.... less than half a marathon!!!  But we ain't gonna be running there... 😜

It's never been intentional, it just worked out that way. After the restart, we did a B2B on the first two sailings of the NCL Breakaway. That time we did a park, stay, cruise deal at a hotel in Newark and the Marathon didn't interfere with us getting back to the hotel where we left our car at all. Last year, I did the Halloween cruise on the Breakaway with my brother and that was the one where I had an early flight out of JFK. I pre-booked an Uber and ended up sharing it with another passenger who had a 10:40 flight and we both made it on time. This time I am flying out of LGA and coming from the Brooklyn terminal instead of Manhattan, but will h a late flight, I am not too worried.

Fun fact: I "ran" a marathon back in 2016.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, buffet24 said:

Much Respect!  5k/3miles is my max range...  😥

OK, if we're gonna do this.... I've run 11 marathons, first one at 65 last one at 73 years. I won't get into all the long distance triathlons over 65, I wouldn't want to brag.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

OK, if we're gonna do this.... I've run 11 marathons, first one at 65 last one at 73 years. I won't get into all the long distance triathlons over 65, I wouldn't want to brag.

Reminds me of a joke I heard:

"How do you know if someone has run a marathon?"

"Don't worry, they will tell you!"

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

We got off yesterday.  Was traveling with another couple from southern NJ.  The Verazzano Bridge was closed so we took the BQE to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel, (now called the Hugh Carey  Tunnel),  then the Holland Tunnel to the NJ tpke. Traffic leaving the port was fine and the only backup was entering the Holland Tunnel.

Edited by EllieinNJ

No problems at all.  We went in the walk off group in a successful attempt to beat any unnecessary delays.  We went across the Brooklyn Bridge, and through the Holland Tunnel.  We arrived at our home in PA at 9:00 AM.

The drive home took 90 minutes.  The drive to the pier took 3 hours, with most of the delays in the Newark area.