Carribean cruise advice

TiredTrucker

Howdy.  I saw some good rates for 14 day Caribbean cruises with Princess and that has me intrigued.  I have my first ever cruise to Mexico on Carnival and if wife and I enjoy it we might try a longer Carribean for our 25th.

I know nothing of Princess or the Carribean either, so I'm eager for any and all advice on the matter.  I'm pouring over the search feature but it's a lot of reading.  We are interesting in Eastern and Southern as we hear it's overall nicer.  Any ship recommendations, time of year, ports that are a must.

Thank you everyone!

Not sure when your anniversary is, but if it’s early in the year, I’d pick the more southern itineraries to get warmer weather. 

Assuming you are American and live in the US - Do you have passports? Unlike most closed loop Caribbean cruises, they are required for itineraries that include Martinique or Guadeloupe.

• Like 1

Best time of year? It's tropical so mostly always hot. Spring is better we think, but just avoid spring break and summer when school is out. I wouldn't sail September on any line even if it was offered and I doubt any are.

Eastern and southern islands are more cultural and Dutch influenced as I recall. Western Caribbean ports tend to have more active excursions, Mayan archeologic sites...

There is more to do on the bigger ships, but some like the older Caribbean Princess.

Comparing Princess to Carnival, there is less energy onboard, which we prefer. Decor is more understated too.

Since you are new here and with Princess, once you select your cruise, join your Roll Call here. It's a great way to learn from those with more experience. The Plus package is nice if you drink a lot, we don't drink and find it doesn't make sense for us.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

I wouldn't sail September on any line even if it was offered and I doubt any are.

There are plenty of cruises in the Caribbean in September, just not on Princess. Carnival has them, as does Royal, Celebrity, Disney, MSC, and Virgin.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Best time of year? It's tropical so mostly always hot. Spring is better we think, but just avoid spring break and summer when school is out. I wouldn't sail September on any line even if it was offered and I doubt any are.

For many people, the Bahamas (a common port on Eastern Caribbean cruises) can be too chilly for the beach or water activities from December to February with an average high of only 70 degrees in January. If you come from where it’s below zero though, that could still feel warm for sure.

Cruises are available year round in the Caribbean and if I were planning a Caribbean vacation during hurricane season, I’d definitely choose a cruise over a land based trip. Ports can be changed to avoid awful weather.

46 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

With Princess you will find an older, more mature audience more interested in cruising than a party atmosphere.  No roller coasters or rock climbing walls.  If you tell us a bit more about yourself perhaps we can give better advice.  Welcome!

We like what we hear about Princess for those reasons.  Calm, quiet, good food, beautiful scenery.  Haven't cruised before so we don't know what kind of entertainment would really appeal to us.  We aren't big drinkers but enjoy something now and then so we like how Princess Plus includes a drink package.  And I believe Princess has room service available for a cover charge, vs the terrible ala carte system Carnival has.

2 hours ago, Torfamm said:

Not sure when your anniversary is, but if it’s early in the year, I’d pick the more southern itineraries to get warmer weather. 

Assuming you are American and live in the US - Do you have passports? Unlike most closed loop Caribbean cruises, they are required for itineraries that include Martinique or Guadeloupe.

Yes, we have them.

9 minutes ago, TiredTrucker said:

We like what we hear about Princess for those reasons.  Calm, quiet, good food, beautiful scenery.  Haven't cruised before so we don't know what kind of entertainment would really appeal to us.  We aren't big drinkers but enjoy something now and then so we like how Princess Plus includes a drink package.  And I believe Princess has room service available for a cover charge, vs the terrible ala carte system Carnival has.

Room service is free on Princess for the most part, if you order through the app.

Just now, Spudd said:

Room service is free on Princess for the most part, if you order through the app.

If you don’t have the Plus or Premium package there is a $14.99 activation fee to use the app to order during your sailing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TiredTrucker said:

I thought it was $15 every time you ordered.

4 hours ago, Cruisintimer said:

If you buy the plus package no charge for room service.  

The story of room story charges on Princess is... let's just say it's interesting.

• If you have a package, there's no charge for RS, IF YOU ORDER THROUGH THE APP
  • If you don't have a package, the first time you order RS (or food/drink delivery anywhere, for any reason), you'll get hit with a $15 fee.  No fees after that for the rest of the cruise
  • If you order by phone, there's a $5 fee WHETHER YOU HAVE A PACKAGE OR NOT
  • Some items have costs attached to them in addition to any fees

Haven't cruised before so we don't know what kind of entertainment would really appeal to us.

There will be theater shows every evening including productions shows and guest entertainers. Guest entertainers are acts like comics, magic, singer/musicians, and maybe others. For production shows arrive 30 to 45 minutes early. For other entertainers arrive around 30 minutes early. In the evening there is live music in the lounges. Lounges and the Piazza usually have live pre-dinner music. 

We aren't big drinkers but enjoy something now and then so we like how Princess Plus includes a drink package.  With the plus package it takes between 2 to 3 alcoholic beverages per person per day to break even. Depends on how many non alcoholic beverages are consumed and if you order beers or cocktails. 

And I believe Princess has room service available for a cover charge, vs the terrible ala carte system Carnival has. There are 3 ways to order room service. 1) the breakfast door hanger. Includes basic cont. breakfast items. You may also be able to write in certain items. Fill out the evening before, hang on your door and the order is delivered as requested. No charge for this service. A tip is normal, but not required. 2) Using the app or TV. This is included in the plus fare, no additional charge. 3) Over the phone. Contrary to post #13 fairly certain this is also included in the plus fare.

The room service menu includes some items with an extra charge and some items that are no charge. Basic orders for coffee, tea, doughnuts/Danish, egg sandwich do not incur a charge. Full suite passengers can order room service off the full DR menu. All others have to use the RS menu.  

We are interesting in Eastern and Southern as we hear it's overall nicer. 

This sounds like two 7 day cruises b2b sold as a single booking. The ship returns to Ft. Lauderdale after the first week. It is nice to have these two different itineraries. You should know that when you return to Ft. Lauderdale you will have to pass through immigration. There are procedures for b2b passengers. You will have the option to take a tour or leave the ship and explore Ft. Lauderdale on your own. If you select this option then passport, medallion and intransit card in hand you clear immigration on the way off. You return to the ship anytime after general boarding has begun up to about 30minutes before sailing time. There is a notice at the gangplank for latest return time. If you choose to stay on board then there will be a meeting location and procedure that is required, no exceptions.

Here are some tips. I find it is usually better to book as two 7 day cruises. This gives you more flexibility and there is normally very little difference in cost. There are normally more cabin selections when booking this way. When booking as two cruises if you like your cabin selection and do not want to risk moving cabins on turn around day then have your bookings marked no upgrades.

You will have a single on board account for the entire time you are on board. Any money owed will be charged to your credit card on your final disembarkation day.

Princess has offered a limited number of 14 day Circle the Caribbean cruises. This is a single voyage that does not return to Ft. Lauderdale. People like them. The ship has time to reach the most southern Caribbean islands, and it does not return to Ft. Lauderdale until the end of the 14 days. You may want to look for one of these sailings. 

1 hour ago, skynight said:

3) Over the phone. Contrary to post #13 fairly certain this is also included in the plus fare.

As the author of post #13, you are correct.  Holders of either package have this fee waived for their phoned-in room service orders.  Source:  https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/princess-adds-casual-dining-exclusive-service-delivery-and-more-to-plus-and-premier-packages-with-no-price-increases-301887456.html

I apologize for the error.

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 1

Princess is a nice cruiseline.  If you have sailed carnival with the water slides and such; you won't find that on Princess.  Princess is fun, food is good, service and crew are nice, and it's more relaxed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

Princess is a nice cruiseline.  If you have sailed carnival with the water slides and such; you won't find that on Princess.  Princess is fun, food is good, service and crew are nice, and it's more relaxed.

Not yet. Top deck family zone will be on the new Sun Princess sailing in 2024.

https://www.cruisetripplanner.com/2023/06/16/new-top-deck-family-activity-zone-to-debut-on-sun-princess/

On 10/31/2023 at 11:14 PM, Honolulu Blue said:

There are plenty of cruises in the Caribbean in September, just not on Princess. Carnival has them, as does Royal, Celebrity, Disney, MSC, and Virgin.

I'm gonna take a wild stab at the meaning behind Sept and cruising, That is peak hurricane season. Some people just don't like them....lol...and I see why.

47 minutes ago, Moondogy said:

I'm gonna take a wild stab at the meaning behind Sept and cruising, That is peak hurricane season. Some people just don't like them....lol...and I see why.

The post you quote was a response to my post saying, "I would not sail on any line (in) September even if it was offered." You are correct, I meant hurricanes.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

The post you quote was a response to my post saying, "I would not sail on any line (in) September even if it was offered." You are correct, I meant hurricanes.

Right there with you, been through enough of them on land, I know the ship can see them and avoid them,  but still would rather not have my cruise disrupted by one.