SS United States

Laszlo

The SS United States once owned by NCL.....

Could the ship Finally be going to a new home? She has been sitting in Philly for over 25 years rusting away. I used to be involved in the SS United States Conservancy until I saw the money they were wasting. It will be interesting watching her move down the river. I wonder how much mud she is sitting in?

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...oject/3685106/

I shot this video 6 years ago.....

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Susan Gibbs talks about preserving the "ship's history".  Her "artistic" history in her interior has long been stripped to bare steel, so that is gone.  Her "maritime" history is her power plant, but I seriously doubt anything will be done to restore that, so that is gone.  All you have left is an iconic profile, and as much of an advocate of the US merchant marine as I am, I don't really see much value in that, and it will only lead to maintenance debacles like the Queen Mary and the battleship Texas.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Susan Gibbs talks about preserving the "ship's history".  Her "artistic" history in her interior has long been stripped to bare steel, so that is gone.  Her "maritime" history is her power plant, but I seriously doubt anything will be done to restore that, so that is gone.  All you have left is an iconic profile, and as much of an advocate of the US merchant marine as I am, I don't really see much value in that, and it will only lead to maintenance debacles like the Queen Mary and the battleship Texas.

I agree 100%....... The amount of money spent over the years is staggering..... It would make a great reef and diving site 

On 11/4/2023 at 6:41 AM, chengkp75 said:

Much of the interior from a dining room and a bar ended up at a restaurant in Nags Head, NC (Windmill Point). The restaurant closed up 15? years ago. IDK where that stuff ended up

57 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Much of the interior from a dining room and a bar ended up at a restaurant in Nags Head, NC (Windmill Point). The restaurant closed up 15? years ago. IDK where that stuff ended up

The SS United States artifacts were donated to a maritime museum. The restaurant, on the other hand, was burned to the ground (intentionally) for firefighter training.

• Like 1

Ships somehow cause an emotional response far greater than other pieces of machinery. We always seek out maritime museums and I sobbed unashamedly at the Edwin Fox exhibit in Picton. However unless they are of national or global significance (HMS Victory launched 1757 and still in commission to to Royal Navy), the viking ships in Olso, or the polar ship Maud which we were privileged to see being towed on her final journey, they are simply too costly to restore and keep ship shape. Metal or wood sitting in water is not a viable long term option without constant expensive maintenance, building a dry dock to showcase a ship works if there is enough income or it is a national heritage case - SS Great Britain or Cutty Sark. In this case recycle seems the best option. 

43 minutes ago, Catchum said:

Ships somehow cause an emotional response far greater than other pieces of machinery. We always seek out maritime museums and I sobbed unashamedly at the Edwin Fox exhibit in Picton. However unless they are of national or global significance (HMS Victory launched 1757 and still in commission to to Royal Navy), the viking ships in Olso, or the polar ship Maud which we were privileged to see being towed on her final journey, they are simply too costly to restore and keep ship shape. Metal or wood sitting in water is not a viable long term option without constant expensive maintenance, building a dry dock to showcase a ship works if there is enough income or it is a national heritage case - SS Great Britain or Cutty Sark. In this case recycle seems the best option. 

Another saved ship is the Vasa in the Vasa Museum in Stockholm. It sunk it's first time out as it was top heavy.