Cruise Documents and Printable Luggage Tags?

harryw

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

I have never come across  a cruise line  picking up luggage from baggage claim area

Maybe on a charter flight  but even then you usually take your bags to the transfer bus  🤔

@LHT28 It used to be the case many years ago.  I had forgotten all about it.  Then the poster reminded me that it did happen in my past.  I figured, better to be safe than sorry.  Side Note: I enjoyed your post from you cruise. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

@LHT28 It used to be the case many years ago.  I had forgotten all about it.  Then the poster reminded me that it did happen in my past.  I figured, better to be safe than sorry.  Side Note: I enjoyed your post from you cruise. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

interesting  I guess us Canadians  were not privy to such  luxury 😁

• Haha 2

Apologies to anyone who says "D'oh!  Everybody knows that!", but to all who commented about "if the tag gets ripped off"...

Yes, attach a ship's luggage tag on the outside once you get to the pier, but attach one on the *inside* before leaving home.  Attach it so that it is immediately visible to anyone who opens the luggage trying to figure out what to do with a tagless bag.

Homeward bound, the inside tag has my phone number and home city but not my street address.

• Like 3

Circling back to my original post, a Cruise Vacation Guide came in the mail

frim O today. It includes  8 durable pre printed tags to attach to our luggage.

when embarking. It’s a more streamlined booklet than what was sent a few years ago.

Which makes sense as postage rates are higher and so much information is online.

It must be very difficult for cruisers who don’t have internet or aren’t tech savvy. How could they even book restaurant reservations?

35 minutes ago, harryw said:

Circling back to my original post, a Cruise Vacation Guide came in the mail

frim O today. It includes  8 durable pre printed tags to attach to our luggage.

when embarking. It’s a more streamlined booklet than what was sent a few years ago.

Which makes sense as postage rates are higher and so much information is online.

It must be very difficult for cruisers who don’t have internet or aren’t tech savvy. How could they even book restaurant reservations?

Easy to make restaurant reservations. Just phone Oceania. You won't have one minute past midnight first chance but, depending on cabin category can likely get a good chance for preferred times by calling the morning after reservations open.

4 hours ago, edgee said:

Easy to make restaurant reservations. Just phone Oceania. You won't have one minute past midnight first chance but, depending on cabin category can likely get a good chance for preferred times by calling the morning after reservations open.

Will O deal directly with a passenger who has a TA, or would you need to go through the TA?

16 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

Apologies to anyone who says "D'oh!  Everybody knows that!", but to all who commented about "if the tag gets ripped off"...

Yes, attach a ship's luggage tag on the outside once you get to the pier, but attach one on the *inside* before leaving home.  Attach it so that it is immediately visible to anyone who opens the luggage trying to figure out what to do with a tagless bag.

Homeward bound, the inside tag has my phone number and home city but not my street address.

Here in Europe we lock our luggage - when we fly and when on trains etc* -  so putting a label inside means the case would be broken into to get at the label.   Probably for us the best thing is to have the normal "home address, email, phone" labels on the bags and then put the O. labels with the suite number (if we get them) or those nice labels a previous poster was kind enough to provide on the bags right before we get in a taxi from the hotel to the pier.

*I understand that in the US you cannot lock your bags unless you have TSA locks but that is not the case here.

3 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

Will O deal directly with a passenger who has a TA, or would you need to go through the TA?

Yes they will deal directly with you for shore excursion or restaurant reservation issues. Absolutely no need to involve your TA in these types of things unless you prefer to. However, any written documentation they send you as followup to a conversation is usually sent to you via your TA IME.

1 hour ago, Hambagahle said:

best thing is to have the normal "home address, email, phone" labels on the bags and then put the O. labels with the suite number (if we get them) or those nice labels a previous poster was kind enough to provide on the bags right before we get in a taxi from the hotel to the pier.

Exactly what we've done and would continue to do. I can't see the need to do anything else.

Edited by Harters

I had same concerns on my most recent Marina cruise in 2023.  Got nothing in the mail.  No personalized brochure, no luggage tags, etc.  When I questioned it, I was told that Oceania stopped sending them. I got an email that said we had done the online checkin. When we got on the O transfer bus, there were people with O luggage tags.  When we arrived at the pier, we had to identify our luggage. Tags were attached.  Bags arrived in our cabin before we got there. Some people who had preprinted tags did not wait to identify their luggage. Some of those bags never were unloaded from the bus.  If you take a transfer, make sure your luggage is taken off the bus.

7 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Here in Europe we lock our luggage - when we fly and when on trains etc* -  so putting a label inside means the case would be broken into to get at the label.

Yep.

BUT, that's exactly what the lost luggage department in question is going to do, no?

7 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

*I understand that in the US you cannot lock your bags unless you have TSA locks but that is not the case here.

Just since the topic came up.  Back in 2014(?) TSA published a picture of the full set of TSA keys, and hackers made working copies from the images.  Today you can buy TSA master keys on Amazon for $5.99.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

BUT, that's exactly what the lost luggage department in question is going to do, no?

No, what they are going to do in my case, is look at the tag attached to the bag's handle which gives our surname and mobile phone number.  No need for anyone to go into our case, that's why we have a tag on the outside.

22 minutes ago, Harters said:

No, what they are going to do in my case, is look at the tag attached to the bag's handle which gives our surname and mobile phone number.  No need for anyone to go into our case, that's why we have a tag on the outside.

That is what our outside tag says too.  Name, Phone, country. 

Looking on the bright side - only twice in my life has a bag gone missing.  Once on a Aeromexico flight to Acapulco and it was delivered to me next day.  Once on a BA flight to Bangkok and that took 3 days to arrive.  BA paid for the clothes I bought/had made to get through those days of meetings etc - USD1000.  Not something I would like to have happen again though.  (and I travelled a huge amount all over the world when I was working).

32 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

only twice in my life has a bag gone missing.

So far, we've avoided a missing bag. We did have one flight, returning home, where a batch of bags simply didnt get loaded, so they were delivered to us next day. I think we're going to invest in Air Tags before our next trip - a small additional outlay, bearing in mind the overall costs of any holiday. 

1 hour ago, Harters said:

Uhh...  We were talking about that if (and eventually when) the outside tag goes missing, it's best to have one inside, too.  Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Edited by Snaefell3

I have never (yet?) had a bag that went totally missing.  Only delayed arrival.  And I had thought about air tags too.  But then all I am doing is going from Zürich to Malta and loosing a bag is rather unlikely.  from what I have read - chances multiple with connections.  Especially in the US.