3 pm boat leaving out of san diego

paperposter

1 minute ago, paperposter said:

my flight gets in at 12,30 .its a short local flight into san diego i know san diego well

do u think any problem making the boat ..i figure ill be there by 1 to 1.30 .if deseprate i can by there by  by 1 pm 

So long as your flight actually departs on time, you should be ok, but all it will take is a flight delay or cancellation and you are in danger of missing the ship. Traffic can also be heavy or backed up due to special events, construction, or accidents.  Also keep in mind that you need to be aboard at least one hour prior to the scheduled departure time. Personally I would schedule my arrival for earlier that day, or even the day before to play it safe.

• Like 3

You have a little wiggle room, but not a lot of it. Personally, I would never cut it that close; other people (you, perhaps?) are braver than I am. 

What if your plane is late taking off? What if it can land on time, but there is no open gate to pull up to? (both of these have happened to me). What if the machine delivering luggage breaks down, and all the unloaded luggage has to be put on a different machine? 
The point is that any---or more!---of these could delay your arrival at the pier in time to meet the CBP regulation to be checked in before the ship is cleared to sail. I don't recall how long before the ship sails that time period is, but the passenger manifest has to be turned in by 2:00 PM, or possibly earlier (1:30?). 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, paperposter said:

my flight gets in at 12,30 .its a short local flight into san diego i know san diego well

do u think any problem making the boat ..i figure ill be there by 1 to 1.30 .if deseprate i can by there by  by 1 pm 

What boat?

6 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

What boat?

december 21st  sandiego hawaii says 3 pm boat starts with a  

16-Day Circle Hawaii Holiday

KONINGSDAM
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
DEC 21, 2023 - JAN 6, 2024

Dec 21, 2023

San Diego, California, US

DEPARTS 03:00 PM

its only a 45 minute flight  and usualy a 10 minute to the cruise terminal  bus .i go all the time to san diego.i was just in san diego last week.

Edited by paperposter

The SHIP will sail as scheduled, with, or without you. It may be a short local flight, but you can't control things like weather or other factors.  And, if the SHIP is sailing to Hawaii,  that means 5 days before you can catch up with it.

No way would I take that risk. I flew to San Diego from SFO last Monday. Our flight was fine, but the same flight 2 days earlier was delayed 3 hours due to mechanical issues.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

The SHIP will sail as scheduled, with, or without you. It may be a short local flight, but you can't control things like weather or other factors.  And, if the SHIP is sailing to Hawaii,  that means 5 days before you can catch up with it.

No way would I take that risk. I flew to San Diego from SFO last Monday. Our flight was fine, but the same flight 2 days earlier was delayed 3 hours due to mechanical issues.

i just means i get a 5 day vaction in hawaii  not on a ship .its a free trip anyway

13 minutes ago, paperposter said:

i just means i get a 5 day vaction in hawaii  not on a ship .its a free trip anyway

You think the flight to Hawaii and the extra hotel nights will be free? Plus food and other expenses? Plus you violate the PVSA, which is a fine that will be charged to you.

30 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

You think the flight to Hawaii and the extra hotel nights will be free? Plus food and other expenses? Plus you violate the PVSA, which is a fine that will be charged to you.

yes the trip is free on the cruise . and if theres a problem so will the the flights and extra hotels

pss no clue what the hell a pvsa is sorry 

ill be fine .

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, paperposter said:

yes the trip is free on the cruise . and if theres a problem so will the the flights and extra hotels

pss no clue what the hell a pvsa is sorry 

ill be fine .

Going to ask - who will be paying for the flights and hotels if necessary? I doubt they will pay your PVSA fine which I believe is in the range of $900 - that is if you are even allowed to fly to catch the ship in Hawaii.

9 hours ago, paperposter said:

That schedule would be waaaayyyyyyy to close for me. I would figure out something else allowing a larger cushion of time , just in case.

Hope you have a great cruise .

Edited by horseymike

If the OP booked his flight through Flight-Ease HAL does take responsibility for making sure you don't miss the cruise or catches you up on the first port they can.  They know if there are passengers are on certain flights and the ship may even depart late from a port if a number of passengers would miss the ship and it won't impact the schedule too badly. It's the only way I would ever fly into a cruise on the day of departure, regardless of the schedules.  You just have no control over the airlines. 

I know we've got a cruise in January from Fort Lauderdale that they will book flights that are scheduled to land up to 1:00pm when the ship is scheduled to sail at 3:00.  So if the OP's flight is through Flight-Ease then he has little to worry about.  But, if not, then he's at the mercy of the airlines...

San Diego port is so close to the airport that if you had to take a cab you could be there in just a few minutes but still it's not the most relaxing way to start a leisure cruise.

Edited by Real NHDOC
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

If the OP booked his flight through Flight-Ease HAL does take responsibility for making sure you don't miss the cruise or catches you up on the first port they can.  They know if there are passengers are on certain flights and the ship may even depart late from a port if a number of passengers would miss the ship and it won't impact the schedule too badly. It's the only way I would ever fly into a cruise on the day of departure, regardless of the schedules.  You just have no control over the airlines. 

I know we've got a cruise in January from Fort Lauderdale that they will book flights that are scheduled to land up to 1:00pm when the ship is scheduled to sail at 3:00.  So if the OP's flight is through Flight-Ease then he has little to worry about.  But, if not, then he's at the mercy of the airlines...

San Diego port is so close to the airport that if you had to take a cab you could be there in just a few minutes but still it's not the most relaxing way to start a leisure cruise.

You are reading way too much into the Flight Ease Protection program.  It is not a guarantee, it is not insurance, it does not pay late arrival costs, it merely assists you - if you can get in touch with them!  Here is the verbiage, when they say they will take care of any flight changes they mean they will book them NOT pay for them. 

In the event your flights are delayed or cancelled by the airline on the day you are en route to or from your cruise, our staff is ready to assist you, 24/7. We’ll even take care of any flight changes if needed to join the voyage at the next available port of call.

I think I said they take responsibility for "catching you up", not that it was insurance or a guarantee.  And actually they do pay for any flight changes and costs associated with catching you up.  We've had that experience.

I do know that they will hold the ship for flight-ease customers who are enroute if it doesn't create a problem for the ship to leave a little late which they will not do if you don't book through flight-ease.  The OP said something to the effect that he could fly to Hawaii and get onboard at no cost - if he booked through flight-ease that is a possibility (please don't point out that it would violate the Jones act). 

I will also say that we had an experience that after some "cajoling" HAL did give us full FCC for a cruise that was messed up due to a Flight-Ease booked Delta flight problem on the day of departure that caused our family members to miss half of the cruise, so, for loyal cruisers it is defacto-insurance.  But they didn't do it willingly. 

Edited by Real NHDOC

Late Arrival Protection

If you have booked your air travel through Holland America Line and experience delays on the day you are en route to your cruise due to an airline service disruption, such as a flight delay, cancellation, or re-route, that will cause you to miss your original port of embarkation, Holland America Line will work with the airline to find reasonable alternate flights to the next appropriate port at no additional air cost to the guest. Contact our support line at 1-800-628-4771 to request assistance.

Factors taken into account in determining the appropriateness of a port of call include, but are not limited to:

• where in the original itinerary the port is located
  • airport / port infrastructure
  • visas and other legal documentation that may be required
  • application of the Passenger Services Act to the new itinerary
  • comparability of cost, flight connections, and travel time required (any unused value on the original air ticket will be used to offset the cost of the new air ticket)

Note: If you purchase air transportation independently from Holland America Line, you will be responsible for any and all expenses incurred when joining the vessel in progress.

Edited by Real NHDOC

16 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

Late Arrival Protection

If you have booked your air travel through Holland America Line and experience delays on the day you are en route to your cruise due to an airline service disruption, such as a flight delay, cancellation, or re-route, that will cause you to miss your original port of embarkation, Holland America Line will work with the airline to find reasonable alternate flights to the next appropriate port at no additional air cost to the guest. Contact our support line at 1-800-628-4771 to request assistance.

Factors taken into account in determining the appropriateness of a port of call include, but are not limited to:

• where in the original itinerary the port is located
  • airport / port infrastructure
  • visas and other legal documentation that may be required
  • application of the Passenger Services Act to the new itinerary
  • comparability of cost, flight connections, and travel time required (any unused value on the original air ticket will be used to offset the cost of the new air ticket)

Note: If you purchase air transportation independently from Holland America Line, you will be responsible for any and all expenses incurred when joining the vessel in progress.

That does not turn a one hour flight to San Diego into a flight to Hawaii.  They will help you secure another similar flight at the best price available to them but not buy you a ticket.  Your airline will do a similar thing.

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

That does not turn a one hour flight to San Diego into a flight to Hawaii.  They will help you secure another similar flight at the best price available to them but not buy you a ticket.  Your airline will do a similar thing.

I really wish people who didn't know what they were talking about wouldn't state opinion as fact.  I have actually had experience with the late arrival policy and it is exactly as they say.  They will book you on a flight to the first port where you are able to pick up the cruise and it will be done at no additional cost.  It is the great advantage to using Flight-Ease.  We have personally experienced this so it's not only as stated in their policy I have actually had to take advantage of it. 

They booked and flew our family members to San Juan when Delta cancelled their flights to FLL the morning of the cruise at the last minute.  NO charge for the change in flights and their policy is to pay for one hotel night in the city where they pick up the cruise which they did too.  They even bumped them up to first class... all free because the flight from Boston the FLL was cancelled and they missed the cruise departure. If we hadn't booked the air through flight-ease we'd have been out of luck or had to depend on travel insurance.  This was in the winter of 2023 so it is their current policy.

I still had a hard time accepting they had missed half of the cruise so after some intense negotiations HAL agreed to give them FCC in the full amount of the cruise and air because it was only a 7 day cruise and San Juan port was on the fourth day.  All in all using flight ease got them a free trip to PR and half a cruise which they would not have gotten otherwise. 

Edited by Real NHDOC

13 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

I really wish people who didn't know what they were talking about wouldn't state opinion as fact.  I have actually had experience with the late arrival policy and it is exactly as they say.  They will book you on a flight to the first port where you are able to pick up the cruise and it will be done at no additional cost.  It is the great advantage to using Flight-Ease.  We have personally experienced this so it's not only as stated in their policy I have actually had to take advantage of it. 

They booked and flew our family members to San Juan when Delta cancelled their flights to FLL the morning of the cruise at the last minute.  NO charge for the change in flights and their policy is to pay for one hotel night in the city where they pick up the cruise which they did too.  They even bumped them up to first class... all free because the flight from Boston the FLL was cancelled and they missed the cruise departure. If we hadn't booked the air through flight-ease we'd have been out of luck or had to depend on travel insurance.  This was in the winter of 2023 so it is their current policy.

I still had a hard time accepting they had missed half of the cruise so after some intense negotiations HAL agreed to give them FCC in the full amount of the cruise and air because it was only a 7 day cruise and San Juan port was on the fourth day.  All in all using flight ease got them a free trip to PR and half a cruise which they would not have gotten otherwise. 

I have NOT had the same experience , been there.  

18 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I have NOT had the same experience , been there.  

Obviously if your experience was different it is perfectly valid to state that but the written policy of flight-ease is to do what I have said they will do.  I am the last person to defend HAL but in this case we have had experience with this and while it wasn't the most pleasant travel experience it would have been a lot worse had we not booked the air with them.  They actually went above and beyond the written policy in our case but the written policy is to get you on the ship at no additional cost to you if your flight to the cruise, booked with them, is delayed or cancelled. 

We watched this video the other day - maybe more relevant to Canadians as insurance might differ. It is a good synopsis of 4 travel groups on the same flight who missed their Princess cruise. One had Princess Air (like FlightEase) and the other 3 had different insurance plans (one was just their travel credit card insurance, one was a Princess add on insurance and one bought an independent travel insurance through a TA.

The very short synopsis - the guy with credit card insurance had both flights and hotels covered to get to next available port. The ones with Princess Air screwed up not accepting their new flights (non-direct) and not surprised they were not covered (not sure they realized it).The other 2 insurance plans were pretty unhelpful ...typical insurance issues!

The takeaway for us (who often accept the risk and fly day of ..) is that we probably have some reourse between our travel credit card insurance and of/when we book cruise/air, and we will just have to wing it if/when it happens. 

8 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

Obviously if your experience was different it is perfectly valid to state that but the written policy of flight-ease is to do what I have said they will do.  I am the last person to defend HAL but in this case we have had experience with this and while it wasn't the most pleasant travel experience it would have been a lot worse had we not booked the air with them.  They actually went above and beyond the written policy in our case but the written policy is to get you on the ship at no additional cost to you if your flight to the cruise, booked with them, is delayed or cancelled. 

They went above and beyond for you, do not expect the, to always do that.