Requesting off-menu meal in MDR?

wahooker

58 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Going out to a Chinese restaurant on Christmas Day is very popular with the Jewish community in New York.  We did it for a couple of years in order to dodge some troublesome cousins who just assumed they were invited to our house for every holiday.  It worked!  They found some other victim to visit 🙂

You have me rolling on the floor.    I hope they aren't reading.   LOL

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 11/9/2023 at 5:24 PM, wahooker said:

We are on a cruise this year at Christmas, and one of my family's longstanding traditions is that every year we eat Chinese food for Christmas. It started while we were in the process of adopting from China, and we have been doing it ever since, this will be year 18.

Would it be out of line if we requested something Chinese that is off menu? I know, it's a small thing, and normally its for allergies or medical needs or religious preferences... but I know for us it's just a neat family tradition.

Should I talk to the MDR staff the first day after we get onboard to let them know in advance, or should I wait for the first night's meal and discuss with the waiter?

Clearly you are breaking one Christmas tradition by taking a cruise so why not go the "whole hog" and enjoy a different meal.

You will be at sea so no opportunity to eat on land.

• Like 2

I understand your desire to keep traditions going.   Am I the only one that thinks requesting this is over the top.   Many of us have traditional items we have for holidays.   Is it fair to expect the kitchen to accommodate everyone.  We always have lasagna for Christmas Eve.  Many Italians have seven fishes.  My Grandparents always served Prime Rib on Christmas Day.   English families may still have a Christmas Goose.   Many people have Turkey. Others have Ham.   I am sure Indian Christians have some Indian Holiday favorites.    Then, let’s talk about Desserts.   For me it isn’t Christmas without an almond ring.  Others want a YuleLog.    Do you see my point?  It is unrealistic to expect the chefs to prepare a personalized meal for each family.   If they offer this curtesy to you, shouldn’t everyone get the same service.    I agree with the posts that say go to the Buffet, as you will definitely find Chinese Food there.   

Edited by robsmom
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, robsmom said:

I understand your desire to keep traditions going.   Am I the only one that thinks requesting this is over the top.   Many of us have traditional items we have for holidays.   Is it fair to expect the kitchen to accommodate everyone.  We always have lasagna for Christmas Eve.  Many Italians have seven fishes.  My Grandparents always served Prime Rib on Christmas Day.   English families may still have a Christmas Goose.   Many people have Turkey. Others have Ham.   I am sure Indian Christians have some Indian Holiday favorites.    Then, let’s talk about Desserts.   For me it isn’t Christmas without an almond ring.  Others want a YuleLog.    Do you see my point?  It is unrealistic to expect the chefs to prepare a personalized meal for each family.   If they offer this curtesy to you, shouldn’t everyone get the same service.    I agree with the posts that say go to the Buffet, as you will definitely find Chinese Food there.   

I agree totally after they make my plum pudding with foamy sauce and my sweet potato ball with marshmallows in the center and then rolled in Corn Flakes and my real maple syrup roasted brussel sprouts

• Like 1

10 hours ago, robsmom said:

I think a lot depends on how easy it is for the crew to do. Several of us have suggested they request the food ‘family style’…No individual ordering just a mixed starter and mixed mains selection. Quite simply the MDR could possibly have this brought up directly from the buffet involving little effort. There would then be one large table not needing orders taken individually or serving individually…

I totally understand your viewpoint, I do think it does come down to the logistics of providing…

• Like 1

If it is vitally important that it be Chinese food on precisely Christmas Day, I wouldn't cruise then. If it is significant but could be adjusted most years in case of emergencies or travel interruption, maybe OP could just plan a special Chinese restaurant the night before embarking or after the cruise is over.

OP will likely be able to find a much better meal at a highly rated on-shore restaurant than they will get if the crew has to scrounge something up.

Christmas is important to many, but the actual date, remember, is an artificial construct unrelated to the religious meaning itself. Why be a nitpicker about a calendar?

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 1

I completely agree with you. I love traditions, but there is a place and time. You are breaking tradition to be on a cruise at Christmas, you shouldn’t expect to keep all others. I think it is entitled thinking to inconvenience staff and other patrons to meet your whims. Menus are planned in advance, shopping is completed to match, staff are assigned tasks, and you want them to stop what they are doing to accommodate >1% of people onboard???? Enjoy what is prepared. Check out the buffet. Maybe a new tradition will be born. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chemmo said:

I think a lot depends on how easy it is for the crew to do. Several of us have suggested they request the food ‘family style’…No individual ordering just a mixed starter and mixed mains selection. Quite simply the MDR could possibly have this brought up directly from the buffet involving little effort. There would then be one large table not needing orders taken individually or serving individually…

I totally understand your viewpoint, I do think it does come down to the logistics of providing…

Even if it were possible I can imagine the comments from the other tables. X would be swamped with complaints and demands from other passengers for similar treatment.

The only viable options are;

1) to create their own meal from what is available in the buffet.

2) accept that this year will be different.