Bagel and lox available in OVC on Eclipse?

it's5o'clocksomewhere

Hi CC!

Leaving on Eclipse a week from tomorrow and all my partner can talk about is getting daily bagel and lox. Will this be available in the buffet or will we need to get to the MDR every morning for breakfast? Not something I eat, so I never have looked for it. 🤢

Thank you and happy cruising!

5 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

I agree that the bagels aren't good

Off topic:

Ya gotta go to Montreal and find out what a Bagel is---

And while you are there don't miss Schwartz Deli ( steamed smoke meat/ fries/ 2dill pickles/ 2 diet cokes ) and enjoy the company of the other folks seated with you at the table.

Whatever you do----- Don't ask for a menu !! The Waiter will ask you " Did you come here to eat or read " ????

( I think Celine Dion is the owner ) ???

Does it have to be lox or will  cold smoked salmon be acceptable?

If it must be lox, it may not be available. 

Also keep in mind if it is truly lox and the brined salmon is then cooked  (may or may not be smoked) after brining, the texture will be that of baked salmon.

On my Celebrity cruises, there has been a section in the buffet at breakfast where there is  smoked salmon (not lox) available, Sometimes the offering has been limited to gravlax and no smoked salmon is available.

Edited by Homosassa

10 hours ago, Pinboy said:

Ya gotta go to Montreal and find out what a Bagel is

That's a very personal thing. I find Montréal bagels to be too dense and much prefer "New York style" bagels. (Disclaimer - my mother, brother, and sister were all born in Montréal.)

• Like 1

We'd recant most of our concerns we have about Celebrity if they had a credible bagel available, even if they were using a previously frozen par-baked product.  It would be really remarkable.  Considering the crust and good quality of some of the breads, the bagel and notorious Luminae biscuits are candidates for improvement.  And, while we've never experienced this outside a bagel place, if the bagel was a salt bagel....one can dream.  I'd even settle for a salt soft pretzel (or maybe just pretzels).  

I should mention that the night before breakfast service at Eden Cafe, there is prep that goes on.  On our first cruise on Edge, when we found ourselves at Eden watching a performance around 10 pm, one of the prep cooks was nice enough to give our then 4y old child a "bagel" (Lenders like) and some fresh fruit (and I think we just came from dinner).  When you need a snack, one needs a snack.  That's one of those nice acts that made us fans. 

On 11/9/2023 at 11:28 PM, Luvcrusn said:

Yes they have lox and bagels. The bagels are only eh, but they are there. We like to take some of the lox to the omelet station and have them make lox omelets or salmon benedict. Yum!

I do the same as you.  Delicious!

12 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

That's a very personal thing. I find Montréal bagels to be too dense and much prefer "New York style" bagels. (Disclaimer - my mother, brother, and sister were all born in Montréal.)

LOL---Who me ??? No problem-- We're still friends---LOL

Oh wait-- Are you the one that sent me to the woodshed about 73 times because I don't care who the Captain is --- even if he/she has a pet cat ???

IMO---What they serve on the Celebrity ships are probably, most likely, I'm guessing, are mini Lenders (?) bagels that they bring on board frozen.

19 hours ago, it's5o'clocksomewhere said:

Thank you! I’m not certain that his palate is experienced enough to know the difference. Lol

He would know if he ever asked for lox and  actually received lox that was brined in the high salt solution used for the thick slab of salmon belly from which lox is made, not smoked, and then cooked at the higher temperatures used for the thick slab of the salmon belly.