Regent Grandeur Now a Regent Ship

DeepFreeze63

25 minutes ago, paladin757 said:

Grandeur and Mariner are both using Starlink.. I was on Mariner when they rolled it out a month or so ago and Grandeur was built with Starlink from inception.

Yes but the poster I was quoting said he was on Splendor which does not have Starlink operational yet. Mariner is running about 1 MBPS and Grandeur is running about 4 MBPS as of this week.

1 hour ago, jjs217 said:

Oh my goodness - I feel very sophisticated when I'm drinking a wine that doesn't have a screw top.

😂 I hear you!  But beware...I was at a wine dinner this past week where someone brought a $250 bottle that had a screw top!.  Go figure.  The times they are-a-changin'. 

7 hours ago, vistaman said:

so , ik think I have to bring a bottle of Meursault  and  and another great white ...

So my Grandeur cruise next year will be my first on Regent as I branch out from the RCL lux brands. I've often brought bottles on board those lines...based on your comment, is it common for people to do the same on Regent?  Specifically I'm thinking of the Prime 7 and Chartreuse meals.

26 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

I've often brought bottles on board those lines...based on your comment, is it common for people to do the same on Regent?

I'm not sure that I would say it's "common" but people do bring their own wine onboard and it's perfectly acceptable.  We almost always bring six bottles from our cellar on a cruise.  We will also do some wine shopping along the way if we visit a winery of we find a nice wine shop.  What is your cruise on Grandeur next year?

Edited by Eno-Bob

2 hours ago, Whinenowine said:

So my Grandeur cruise next year will be my first on Regent as I branch out from the RCL lux brands. I've often brought bottles on board those lines...based on your comment, is it common for people to do the same on Regent?  Specifically I'm thinking of the Prime 7 and Chartreuse meals.

Last cruise I bought 4 bottles from the non complimentary wine list and I had 2 bottles of my own - not the greatest a rosé of the Ott wineries in Provence and a special  Greek wine I bought in Rhodos - was 45 €

Honestly I did not see a lot of people bringing bottles however  few guests were ordering non complimentary wines. 

20 minutes ago, bitob said:

Sunday brunch today. 

enjoy it !  

22 hours ago, NYC-London said:

Since when are dogs allowed on cruise ships? And why is a dog being allowed into CR?

I am Titatnium and have never seen a dog on any Regent cruise

years ago a male couple -   both on SB as on SS  - and it was a not so clean dog , growling and barking

yes with a certificate of a MD  - lots of complaints were made !

23 hours ago, Whinenowine said:

😂 I hear you!  But beware...I was at a wine dinner this past week where someone brought a $250 bottle that had a screw top!.  Go figure.  The times they are-a-changin'. 

I have read that cork trees are in decline making cork very expensive, thus the artificial corks one sees now.  Perhaps a screw top keeps the wine safer than an artificial cork.

52 minutes ago, jjs217 said:

I have read that cork trees are in decline making cork very expensive, thus the artificial corks one sees now.  Perhaps a screw top keeps the wine safer than an artificial cork.

It is true that there are a number of boutique wineries who are avoiding cork, or avoiding cork on their lesser priced bottles.  I've never seen $250 wine with a screw top, but have certainly seen and drank $80-$100 bottles.  There are numerous articles about the "Stelvin closure" which is the most used screw top substitute for a cork.  There was a time that roughly 4-5% of all bottles of wine had some infirmity from the cork caused by bacteria and some claim the screw top avoids that.  It also ages slower. 

To me, I prefer the cork but I will say that when bringing a bottle to a picnic or place where you may not be sitting at a table, the screw top is convenient.  What was really bad was about ten years ago or more, many were using these rubber corks and those caused a lot of problems.

Going back to the cruise talk, I am doing an 18-night cruise on Spendor in July and planning on bringing about a case of really good wine for the trip.  

Edited by Bruce61
  • Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 12:14 PM, Eno-Bob said:

What is your cruise on Grandeur next year?

The 12/6 Caribbean cruise on Grandeur, as it marks a milestone birthday for me. I'd prefer a longer cruise, but I feel strongly about celebrating on the actual date, so.....it is what it is  Having said that, this cruise was included in the Black Friday Sale, so not only did they knock a bunch of money off my Category D cabin, I also got $1,000 of OBC (hence my questions about the connoisseur list). Having said that, other than the Champagnes, there wasn't much on that list that excited me...so I may be a couple of bottles of older Bordeaux/Barolo to enjoy.

5 hours ago, Bruce61 said:

It is true that there are a number of boutique wineries who are avoiding cork, or avoiding cork on their lesser priced bottles.  I've never seen $250 wine with a screw top, but have certainly seen and drank $80-$100 bottles.  There are numerous articles about the "Stelvin closure" which is the most used screw top substitute for a cork.  There was a time that roughly 4-5% of all bottles of wine had some infirmity from the cork caused by bacteria and some claim the screw top avoids that.  It also ages slower. 

To me, I prefer the cork but I will say that when bringing a bottle to a picnic or place where you may not be sitting at a table, the screw top is convenient.  What was really bad was about ten years ago or more, many were using these rubber corks and those caused a lot of problems.

Going back to the cruise talk, I am doing an 18-night cruise on Spendor in July and planning on bringing about a case of really good wine for the trip.  

Yes this was a 2006 Henschke shiraz, which I was surprised to see was now priced in the low triple digits. I love screw tops for wines meant to be drank young...so easy.  But any wine worth aging (which is 99% of my cellar) needs the porousness of cork to enable the slow oxidation required.  Having said that, cork taint killed my love of white Burgundies 20 years ago, so there is a downside there.

Thanks for the info above...I'm only good for 2-3 glasses of wine at a time, so I want quality over quantity. Having seen the Connoisseur list, I think I may be better off BYO'ing some '90s Bordeaux/Piedmonts. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Whinenowine said:

The 12/6 Caribbean cruise on Grandeur, as it marks a milestone birthday for me. I'd prefer a longer cruise, but I feel strongly about celebrating on the actual date, so.....it is what it is  Having said that, this cruise was included in the Black Friday Sale, so not only did they knock a bunch of money off my Category D cabin, I also got $1,000 of OBC (hence my questions about the connoisseur list). Having said that, other than the Champagnes, there wasn't much on that list that excited me...so I may be a couple of bottles of older Bordeaux/Barolo to enjoy.

Did the same. Yes, a 7-day cruise is normally too short for us and the Caribbean isn't our "cup of tea" - but deal was too good to pass up. We plan to buy off the extra cost  wine list; enjoy the ship and the sun. 

Had a "Liars Club" event yesterday afternoon. The CD, the comedian and the Captain each tried to convince us that he was telling the true meaning of an obscure word (did 4 rounds) - GREAT fun!  Amazing for me was how glib the Captain is in a second language.

• Like 1

Is there sunscreen available at the pool? We're carry-on travelers and usually have to stop for sunscreen after we land at our destination, but if they have it onboard (maybe they carry it in the shop onboard?) we won't have to.

Edited by GMIAC

20 minutes ago, GMIAC said:

Is there sunscreen available at the pool? We're carry-on travelers and usually have to stop for sunscreen after we land at our destination, but if they have it onboard (maybe they carry it in the shop onboard?) we won't have to.

Not at the pool, but possibly in the boutique. At ridiculous prices.

I have had luck buying sunscreen at the shop at the departing airport. And since you're coming through MIA, the airport there will certainly have sunscreen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Whinenowine said:

I thought the December 6th cruise was for VIP's and TA's - not listed on the Regent webstie

Register here to virtually watch the christening of RSS Grandeur on Tuesday, December 12 at 3PM EST:

You are invited to watch an exclusive pre-recorded broadcast of Seven Seas Grandeur'''s gala christening with a performance by Emmy- and Tony Award-winning actress and singer Kristin Chenoweth. Plus, witness the unveiling of Journey in Jewels by the ship's godmother, Sarah Fabergé and the thrilling moment when the bottle broke over the bow of our sixth ship.

We look forward to celebrating our newest addition to The World's Most
Luxurious Fleet™ with you.

Edited by GMIAC

2 hours ago, Anchorbuoy said:

December 6, 2024 is a Caribbean cruise.  December 10, 2023 is reserved.

Yes, thanks @Anchorbuoy.  Had been talking 2024 cruises so I didn't elaborate, apologies.  Needed something close, simple and relaxing.  And while I'd prefer not to return to Costa Maya...beggar's can't be choosers.  For me this cruise is just about getting away and enjoying all the ship has to offer. 

p.s.--for the record I'm neither a VIP nor a TA.  😇

Edited by Whinenowine

4 hours ago, bitob said:

I love this ship so much I have the equivalent of 6 more cruises on it after the 2 I will be on after the 5 day break for the christening. I booked 4 on board. I cancelled a seabourn and ss to be on this ship. 

I had the same feeling for the Silver Dawn and then I discovered the Splendor ,  2 more cruises booked for 2024. The doors for SB are closed for years. And after my April 2024 cruise on the Dawn also no great deals for singles anymore. 

Unfortunately no great offers as a single so far on the Grandeur , wait and see! I really do not like to pay double !