Regent Grandeur Now a Regent Ship

DeepFreeze63

On 11/18/2023 at 1:07 PM, Boats07 said:

We will be leaving for our third cruise with Regent next month and have learned to ignore the negative comments.  Those comments come from the people that assume they are entitled.   Don't read the negative comments and you will learn the names and just skip over their remarks.

Certainly, we all have the right to interpret the comments from other people and we can choose to ignore any of them. Jumping to the conclusion that a person is entitled because they reported some issues they personally experienced with Regent is ludicrous and ignorant. I think it is wise to read all of the comments and form one’s opinion based on the totality of what ALL people are saying. Regent is a very good product but it’s clear from many on this discussion board, even some “cheerleaders”, that the product isn’t the same as it was prior to COVID. That doesn’t make it a bad product. All it means is that there are opportunities for improvement. IMHO, Regent is still the class of the cruise industry and will improve if they listen to ALL customers and fine tune what can get better.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

the product isn’t the same as it was prior to COVID

Curious to know in what ways you feel the Regent product differs? Better or worse?

We have found our Regent cruises in 2022/2023 to be as good as, and sometimes better than, those we took in 2018/2019.

Yes, we experienced the occasional glitch (pre & post pandemic) but always corrected after bringing the issue to the attention of the relevant member of staff.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bitob said:

Hair dryer answer 

I spoke to gm

dysons only in grand suite and higher 

they need a hair dryer that works on 220

there will be no change. The Corby is it

Why do they need brand that works on 220?  I just have real issue you have to keep pushing a button for it to work.   I don’t care what brand. 

35 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

Why do they need brand that works on 220?  I just have real issue you have to keep pushing a button for it to work.   I don’t care what brand. 

I did not ask. But I often see hair dryers on ships with 220 plugs

The way they wire these ships, only the 220V can handle the wattage of the hair dryers.  They would blow circuits the way the ships are wired.   You also will see the plugs that handle the hair dryers are near the make-up vanity and not in the bathrooms (at least in the suites with vanities).  I have seen this not only on Explorer but also on river cruises.

3 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Curious to know in what ways you feel the Regent product differs? Better or worse?

We have found our Regent cruises in 2022/2023 to be as good as, and sometimes better than, those we took in 2018/2019.

Yes, we experienced the occasional glitch (pre & post pandemic) but always corrected after bringing the issue to the attention of the relevant member of staff.

Please go back and read my detailed trip reports from our September cruise this past September. The good and the not so good are noted. In summary, I experienced poor service from Destination Services and the food quality & preparation had several blips. Restaurant service was extremely slow at times. The bottom line, other than Destination Services, is that it was inconsistent and that’s what I have never experienced on Regent in the past (albeit pre COVID). As I said in my report, overall it was a great trip but there were things that Regent has to work on. Then to be called entitled just because I wasn’t glowing in my comments shows no tolerance for other’s opinions.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bruce61 said:

The way they wire these ships, only the 220V can handle the wattage of the hair dryers.  They would blow circuits the way the ships are wired.   You also will see the plugs that handle the hair dryers are near the make-up vanity and not in the bathrooms (at least in the suites with vanities).  I have seen this not only on Explorer but also on river cruises.

But the us outlets handle my hair dryer no problem 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bruce61 said:

Bruce - Correct!  At least on Splendor, where we're on right now, there is an electrical outlet that is specifically marked as "Hair Dryer".  It's at the desk/makeup table where the phone, large wall mirror, and small vanity mirror is.  The receptacle is underneath the wall mirror and just above the desktop.  It is a dual voltage outlet.  On the right side of the outlet is a 220-volt outlet and on the left side is a 110-volt receptacle.  Regards

PCARDAD - Howdy!  I just ran a speed test.  I'm not on a VPN.  I'm now on Splendor and we're about 1,000 miles out in the middle of the Atlantic on our way westbound to St. Maarten.  I have a Download Speed of 1.74 MBPS and an Upload Speed of 0.31 MBPS.  That's bouncing off a test site in McPherson, Kansas.

It's certainly fast enough for routine Emails and doing banking and website searches... but might prove to be marginal/challenging for streaming activities such as facebook, etc.  Best Regards.

1 minute ago, pingpong1 said:

PCARDAD - Howdy!  I just ran a speed test.  I'm not on a VPN.  I'm now on Splendor and we're about 1,000 miles out in the middle of the Atlantic on our way westbound to St. Maarten.  I have a Download Speed of 1.74 MBPS and an Upload Speed of 0.31 MBPS.  That's bouncing off a test site in McPherson, Kansas.

It's certainly fast enough for routine Emails and doing banking and website searches... but might prove to be marginal/challenging for streaming activities such as facebook, etc.  Best Regards.

Is that "basic" service, and are there speed upgrades available?

23 minutes ago, Jimmcdaniel said:

@Pcardad, Speed tests are not impressive but with VPN I am also able to stream. 

Here are screen shots without and with VPN. Lower number is with VPN. 

IMG_0822.thumb.png.4886858aeeba86a01993520950cf56b8.pngIMG_0823.thumb.png.5cf3000aa47f436c9e9e28734dadc376.png

Thank you! I am getting reports from Mariner and Grandeur and they are both running 3-4 MBS. It is much better than what it was before but not as fast as RCC (they were 30 - 40 MBS) a few months ago when I tested. Still....steps in the right direction!!!

2 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

As I said in my report, overall it was a great trip but there were things that Regent has to work on. Then to be called entitled just because I wasn’t glowing in my comments shows no tolerance for other’s opinions.

You are certainly entitled to your opinions based on your experience, and I am sorry that the service on board did not meet your expectations ............ but that it is a long stretch to conclude that the Regent product on all ships on all cruises is inferior to what was offered pre pandemic.

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1