Live: Nov 18 2023 Xpedition Galapagos Southern Loop

mahdnc

Thank you for a great report from Galapagos!

I really feel we made the correct choice of booking for Galapagos. Looking forward to this adventure in 2025🙌

Safe travel home!

We arrived home to Norway yesterday after our Edge adventure🥰

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi, everyone.  Sorry that I have not been posting lately.  Both my wife and I came down with some kind of bug that I think was circulating through the ship.  It hit us right when we got off the ship.  Me first.  I thought I was suffering from a little sea sickness during our final zodiac ride to the dock at Baltra.  By the time we got to the JW Marriott, I crawled into bed knowing I was sick.  We spent two nights at the hotel during which time I convalesced and didn't leave the room.  We had a private tour set up for Sunday to visit the Otavalo Market which we cancelled. 

Fortunately I felt well enough to take our early Monday morning flight home.  On the ride from MIA to ORD (home), that's when Marcia became stricken.  It hit like lightning and one hour before we landed, she went though 2 bags.  Now she is at home convalescing and it's my turn to tend to her.

I will be posting more photos and thoughts about this wonderful cruise soon.

image.thumb.jpeg.460af78bc1f9e14d154fb577054e3ca3.jpeg

Our last view of a bunch of sea turtles from the bus at the Baltra Island zodiac dock.  Nov 25

• Like 7

Oh what a horrible way to end off an amazing adventure. Hope you both feel better soon, perhaps looking over all the fantastic photos will help somewhat! Glad you made it home ok, nothing like your own bed when you’re under the weather! Feel better soon and thank you for the wonderful postings. 
Cathy

• Thanks 1

On 11/26/2023 at 11:18 AM, WeBcruisingMN said:

Hello @mahdnc David!
Just caught up on your trip report and (as always) very specific and helpful info. So glad to see & hear that you and Marcia had a stupendous cruise in the Galapagos Islands. We are on the FLORA in October 2024. Seemed so far-off when we booked it, but now only 11 months away and starting to get excited.

We just returned from Hawaii, where our youngest daughter Theresa married her long time Australian love, Chris. Remember they met on the dance floor of the Celebrity Solstice while sailing in Australia (April 2018) and got engaged while sailing on the Solstice in Alaska (August 2022)? It was a joyous wedding, and a fun time- uniting Theresa and Chris, and also uniting two countries & cultures. The Americans and Australians had a great time together celebrating.

All the best to you and your family, as you continue to enjoy cruising and enjoy life 😀🚢

Sharon

A quick pic of the happy couple at their beautiful venue on Oahu

IMG_5778.jpeg

Sharon, what an awesome photo.  It puts an exclamation mark on their remarkable and continuing story.  I hope you and John are doing well and I wish for you guys an awesome Galapagos cruise next year.

David

• Like 1

Ouch! So sorry to hear that. Like others have said, we hope you both feel better soon. I’m sure it wasn’t, but it sure sounds like Mr Montezuma came visiting as the symptoms you described sounded very similar to what I went through when we were there back in 2015. 

In any event thank you again for posting all your wonderful photos!

Well I have recovered and I managed to get through the work this week.  Although this thread is no longer live, I have several posts to make to dispense additional information.

Here is some information regarding our last day on Xpedition.

While we were waiting to leave Xpedition, there is a short documentary on Charles Darwin that is shown.  Afterward. Cristina took one last time to review the various places that we visited and the wildlife we saw.

IMG_0504.thumb.jpeg.35552607258bdaf3b4627d57162632b2.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc

There is a nice little movie that is shown consisting of photos that were taken during the trip.

image.thumb.png.15e2ed9c9c60680589e61de157936d1b.png

The movie is approximately 14 minutes long and it is well done.  There are plenty of photos of wildlife and passengers.

image.thumb.png.859fa1c3c1e0ebcc23bbbab5b135847f.png

The movie (in a thumb drive) is distributed to everyone at the end.

image.thumb.png.4083842628e1415534be3023256fb315.png

If you are interested in seeing the movie, here is the link.

• Like 4

Here is the flight information for our GPS to UIO charter:

Image11-26-23at10_21AM.thumb.jpeg.ba368a7a34a84847376c15ee816394d4.jpeg

Note that the time is shown in local time for each airport. You have to make sure you change your watch and phone to local Galapagos time when you reach the Baltra airport since the ship's time is set to Quito time which is one hour ahead. If you don't, you could miss your flight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was impressed with how closely knit the ship's crew was. 

Before we left Xpedition for the last time, the officers and crew had a surprise birthday celebration for the ship's Hotel Director, Andrés Salas, who turned 35. He is holding the microphone in the photo below. 

IMG_1193.thumb.jpeg.97f2572d1d50ffe977f531e31ffb2791.jpeg

• Like 4

After all the officers and crew were introduced to the passengers during our final night, they took time out to recognize Sebastian and Anita (both are bartenders) because they got engaged during our sailing. What a lovely couple. Recognition of their engagement was also included in the video we received.

image.thumb.png.00cfc9451910620c0dbabd94b9cd2eea.png

image.thumb.jpeg.db03c6448c9e7e5aa1e28a0b7da91287.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.44f2935d2b0105cfbd990f0e7a7b6574.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 5

Two of the naturalists on board our sailing, Vicky and Jorge, are also married.  A bit of a surprise to me, but my wife knew all along.

image.thumb.jpeg.7edec46f4ed1e84e51eb6539e04ccbb2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.dda0bf00aa775d895537aa6a5ee1be96.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Two of the naturalists on board our sailing, Vicky and Jorge, are also married.  A bit of a surprise to me, but my wife knew all along.

Interesting.  Vicky was not on our sailing, although Jorge was.  Their contracts must not perfectly match up.

4 minutes ago, prmssk said:

Interesting.  Vicky was not on our sailing, although Jorge was.  Their contracts must not perfectly match up.

Maybe they are on to something.....

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, prmssk said:

As you know, the naturalists have the benefit of keeping a work schedule that suits them since they are freelancers.  Vicky was getting off the ship after our sailing so she must have had only a one week stint.

Another naturalist, Xavier, got on board with us and only intended to be there for one week.

Here is the Xpedition Director, Cristina Bonilla, flanked by her team of naturalists for our sailing.  They are at the airport (UIO) looking for the next sailing's passengers.   From left to right: Xavier, Elmer, Cristina, Vicky, and Jorge

FD72054D-39E4-4667-AE44-0C29AF4DD985_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.fc77e6fb98c1ecb3224b50eec4f59117.jpeg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mahasamatman said:

I wonder if they alternate because some of them specialize in the Northern Loop and others in the Southern.

Xavier was going to another ship after our sailing (not a Celebrity one).  He said he just likes the variety. 

image.thumb.jpeg.864b4038faa4ab84aab40ba298be4b07.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

Snorkeling opportunities during this cruise were abundant. I believe my wife and I snorkeled four times.  The clarity of the water varied in each case, but each spot was teeming with aquatic life.  

Untitled-449.thumb.jpeg.be910d8c98da27292c743180feb9a01e.jpeg

Full face snorkel masks were not recommended according to the presentation made by Cristina. I asked her why afterwards and she mentioned that there is a problem with carbon dioxide buildup in a full face mask which could cause the swimmer to pass out. 

Untitled-383.thumb.jpeg.472bc66d75fafc1a052dac429af0b5b4.jpeg

There are two types of snorkeling offered. "Deep water" snorkeling is simply a snorkeling trips that is done from the zodiac raft. As divers, we call them boat dives. 

Untitled-384.thumb.jpeg.c397641be64f1f9f7f2f3830d818dfc9.jpeg

The other type of snorkeling is done from the shore where you simply wade into the water with your gear. As divers, we call them shore dives. 

Untitled-442.thumb.jpeg.bb2daf2e81ceaa0faa9c15246e2a5fd0.jpeg

There were large schools of fish in some of our trips. 

Untitled-441.thumb.jpeg.aa4be0c35984552186f7b3c5a42c1889.jpeg

Untitled-386.thumb.jpeg.8f1aec1d76bdab25b5b1f1361b002deb.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Here is the flight information for our GPS to UIO charter:

Image11-26-23at10_21AM.thumb.jpeg.ba368a7a34a84847376c15ee816394d4.jpeg

Note that the time is shown in local time for each airport. You have to make sure you change your watch and phone to local Galapagos time when you reach the Baltra airport since the ship's time is set to Quito time which is one hour ahead. If you don't, you could miss your flight. 

What time did you get to the Baltra airport? Our independent flight to Quito is at 10:13. I’m concerned we may not make it.

1 hour ago, mahasamatman said:

Were the Celebrity-supplied masks good, or should we bring our own? We'd like to minimize packing if we can depend on theirs.

The masks on board Xpedition were fine. We brought our own for other reasons. My wife uses a prescription lens mask while I prefer a mask with a built in purge valve to make it easier to clear if it gets flooded because I wear contact lenses. 

Same thing goes for their snorkels and fins. They were fine and in good condition. 

Edited by mahdnc

I’m still struggling with what footwear to bring for our trip this coming week.  I’ve set out closed toe hybrid shoes (Keen Newports), Tevas, Altra waterproof sneakers, Keen hiking shoes, and loafers for traveling.  I won’t have room for clothing if I bring all these shoes!!  I also have some inexpensive water shoes.  Any thoughts on whether I can safely remove one or two pairs from the pile?  Thanks.