Is P&O comfortable for US passengers?

kurtp13

P&O doesn't have much presence in the US.   Only one travel agency (Vacations to go) can set up a booking.    

My wife and I normally sail with Royal Caribbean.    I'm looking for a 2025 British Isles Cruise and Royal doesn't offer anything.    Most other options are more expensive than P&O.   

I was primarily looking at Britannia.   The ship appears somewhat modern but maybe more understated than we are used to.   Will the service, food and entertainment be comparable?   I can't get a handle on the market position of P&O.   It seems to be budget friendly but traditional.   

I have specific interests in:

eMuster used?

Reservations needed for shows?

Seating for only us a couple for dinner?  

Live music in venues

Production shows with in house singers and dancers?  

Drink packages?   We aren't big drinkers.   A non alcoholic package would be good if mocktails are available.   

From my conversation with the TA the prices can't be adjusted if they drop.   That isn't as convenient for us.  It could level the difference between the US companies and P&O prices over time.   

Any feedback is welcome.   

Hi Kurtp13 and welcome to the P&O board. I may be able to help you with a few of your queries.

Firstly, P&O is a British based company that serves mostly British people although we have met several US, Canadian, Australian, NZ and European etc. citizens on board. The ambiance is very British……

The majority of the passengers will be British so you will hear English being spoken with many different regional accents.

Entertainment will be geared to British tastes so comedians will have jokes that non-Brits might not understand and the production shows will also have references that may not be familiar.

Quizzes and musical choices will have a British bias.

There is a ‘hostess tray’ in your cabin with a kettle plus tea bags, coffee sachets, sugar, milk and mugs.

Food options will favour British tastes with things like back bacon, baked beans, roast dinners, Yorkshire puddings, curries, malt vinegar etc, etc and these will always be available but there will also be international dishes that you will be familiar with.

Passengers and crew members tend to be a bit more reserved in their interactions. You may feel that the service is slower.

Lots of passengers will dress formally on the designated nights but it is possible to dine in venues other than the MDRs and dress casually.

Gratuities are included in the base price of the cruise so absolutely unnecessary to tip for drinks etc. in fact it is discouraged to tip crew members individually in case it becomes expected. The tipping culture in the UK is very different from the way things are done in the US. You do not tip the porters at the dock side. 

Some people do leave a small extra gratuity at the end of the cruise for servers and cabin stewards if the service has been exceptionally good.

Please see my answers to your specific questions in italics below…..

I was primarily looking at Britannia.   The ship appears somewhat modern but maybe more understated than we are used to.

Britannia is a smaller, older ship than most in the RCI fleet and it has a much more traditional feel.

I have specific interests in:

eMuster used?

It is a few months since we sailed on Britannia and a form of eMuster was being used but others who have sailed more recently will confirm this.

Reservations needed for shows?

No reservations necessary

Just ask when you arrive at the restaurant and you should be accommodated 

Live music in venues

Plenty of bars with live music 

Production shows with in house singers and dancers?  

Yes and also guest artists and  lectures (not the hard sell type)

Drink packages?   We aren't big drinkers.   A non alcoholic package would be good if mocktails are available.   

There are drinks packages which are much more reasonably priced than those on US based ships. If you look on the P&O  website you should be able to see the different kinds and what they include.

From my conversation with the TA the prices can't be adjusted if they drop.   That isn't as convenient for us.  It could level the difference between the US companies and P&O prices over time. 

No price adjustment  option I’m afraid.

Having said all his, we have sailed on many US and European cruise lines where we have found the cultural differences have enhanced our experience.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Izzywiz said:

Just ask when you arrive at the restaurant and you should be accommodated 

That will depend on whether you are on Club dining or Freedom dining. If Club then you will be allocated a table for the duration of the cruise which could be anything from two to eight. If you are not on a table for two at the outset then it may be difficult to change it to a two as they are only a few such tables.

• Like 1

Please also note that if you decide against Britannia and choose another P&O ship then the replies will be different and I would suggest you ask again as the P&O ships and style etc.. are quite different across the fleet though the Britishness and non drop adjusted price replies will remain the same.

Edited by BouncingWheel
Typo

After many years cruising only on US cruise lines we are now only cruising with P&O and Cunard as we no longer take long haul flights. You will see a difference but this should not stop you enjoying your cruise. The food portions will be smaller, but you can always ask for extra. You may want to check the terms of booking. If you are booking with a UK company, even through VTG, you may find the deposit is non refundable. This is standard practice here. Also you will not be allowed to travel without holiday insurance (I think it is called vacation protection in the US). This may sound strange but we have met many cruisers over the years who do not buy this. Whilst we Brits are, in the main, more reserved, I think you’ll find once that American accent is heard lots of people will want to chat. 

At the end of the day you get what you pay for.  We have cruised with P&O, Cunard, Celebrity and Princess and of those P&O is the cheapest.

We now only consider P&O for winter cruises because the others don't do many winter cruises out of Southampton and DH can't fly for medical reasons, if any of the others based a ship in Southampton year round it is unlikely that we would book any cruises with P&O. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the useful comments.   Refreshing to get a variety of comments without having to weed through wiseguy responses.  

Since I posted this I noticed that Celebrity also had some sailings, although with departure from Amsterdam which wouldn't be convenient for locals traveling by land to the port.   But for me it's an option since I'm already flying.   Celebrity is a sister company to Royal Caribbean so it should be familiar and there are some loyalty crossover benefits but it is more expensive than I'm used to.   I haven't ruled out the P&O interest so if anything else can be offered please do.  

I certainly understand not wanting to fly. So I can relate to those comments.   We usually do a Feb trip from New Jersey since it's an easy drive from home.   Starting in the cold weather is fine as long as we're sailing somewhere warm.  

I would honestly say go for it. Try a different cruise line to standard american ones. Open your horizons and enjoy the way we brits do cruising. I feel from your post you do not need the bells and whistles such as water slides, dry slides and all the in your face hospitality offed by Royal. Having been on a number of Royal ships and recently on P&O for the first time in years i have to say i enjoyed P&O. It was refreshing and relaxing. Service was good, food was better i feel, just more dishes outside of burgers and fries. Shows were good. Over all it was a good cruise. 👍