Jim_Iain Live - 2nd Half World Cruise - B2B Singapore to Down Under 11/25 – 12/21

Jim_Iain

19 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yea.. love the new 5X telephoto.   I'm still tweaking the setting.   Posting on CC pictures were still coming out black but I think I finally found the setting.

as you know the tech stuff is over my head but happy it is working out..for you and all of us!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, haynesra said:

Loved the Botanical Gardens. Bucket list item for me.

Glad we did it.    I'm really please that we arrived 4 days early for the cruise.   There is so much to do.   The one we will probably miss is the Night at Singapore Zoo.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SerraG said:

Did you get your photo problem solved? If not, try turning off the “live photo” setting in the camera app. I think that will allow the  the photos to be saved as a JPEG. 

I think I did.    Photo Mode at 24M (3Mb per photo) was causing problem so changed it to 12m (2Mb) seems to be working.   No more black uploads to CC.   Maybe overtime a future upgrade to the CC Site software will address this issue.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Glad we did it.    I'm really please that we arrived 4 days early for the cruise.   There is so much to do.   The one we will probably miss is the Night at Singapore Zoo.

Agree when do make it down under, I would like spend at least 4 days in Singapore. Googled Night at the Zoo, now you added something else to the list. Looks cool but at last only so much you can cram into a tight schedule. Love following your travels.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, haynesra said:

Agree when do make it down under, I would like spend at least 4 days in Singapore. Googled Night at the Zoo, now you added something else to the list. Looks cool but at last only so much you can cram into a tight schedule. Love following your travels.

Think we are going to Santosa Island today.   

• Like 4

Love that you went to the opera in a Singapore. Nice to get into town early and My DH would agree to that also. We went to see La Traviata when in Sydney at the Sydney Opera House. It was a wonderful bucket list thing to do. Nice to go early to departure town and see the city. We usually do this also. Have a great cruise.  Wish we were there too. We loved Sydney when we were last there. Louise

• Like 1

I just hate that “wet” feeling in very humid countries; Since living in Houston for almost 30 years, the entire idea of a shower can be wasted in less than three minutes, not to mention my hair going wack-a-doodle!  Now, as far as one’s skin is concerned, it is lovely!🛀

• Like 1

Hi, Jim!

Am loving everything about your review! I especially love all the pics and the photos of Iain. He reminds me of an Adorable elf!! And your descriptions of him make me laugh out loud (in a Very good way)!

Do you and Iain do Annual Travel Insurance, or trip insurance, or no insurance? Because you travel the way that (I think) most of us would like to, your insight on this would be most welcome!

For others reading, I was in Singapore in 2003 on military orders. Through no fault of mine,  our short 4 day trip turned into 10 days, with no duties from day 3 - 6, and a very short duty day on day 7. My husband had just retired from the Air Force, so he tagged along with me. A local recommended the nighttime zoo. (It is so hot and humid there that the zoo is not open during the day.) Now, i love animals, but am NOT usually a zoo person, because I want the animals to have a bio-habitat. The only zoo I loved before this was in San Diego.

So, we went to the nighttime zoo. In a word, AMAZING. The animals are nocturnal because of the heat. We went through the zoo in a tram-like thing, and saw unbelievable activity from the animals! (And…I won’t lie…we weren’t sweating through our clothes because of the humidity.) It was VERY special. And although I understand that you can only do so much with the time you have, I promise this will be well worth your time and a very special experience!!

And, lastly, I ❤️ spicy food. (I know Jim doesn’t!) Down on the water, most restaurants had a dish called ‘Chili Crab’. It sounded interesting to me, because I like chili and I like crab, but the ‘mixture’ sounds gross, any way you look at it! IF you are adventurous, and you like (at least a) little spicy, and you like crab, this is a MUST TRY!  I got mine ‘Thai hot’. It was fabulous! It is Not chili con carne, but rather chili peppers.🌶️ I loved it! Such great taste, flavor, and so fresh!! My husband (nothing spicy for him, thank you very much!) was tearing up from smelling my food. I cannot wait ti go back to Singapore and get more chili crab! 🌶️

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Louhut1 said:

Love that you went to the opera in a Singapore. Nice to get into town early and My DH would agree to that also. We went to see La Traviata when in Sydney at the Sydney Opera House. It was a wonderful bucket list thing to do. Nice to go early to departure town and see the city. We usually do this also. Have a great cruise.  Wish we were there too. We loved Sydney when we were last there. Louise

This is nothing like Sydney Opera house.   Very small theater but sight-lines and acoustics were incredible.    It was only partially staged but was done exceptionally.   The performers were from London, New York, Japan and did a nice set of two short Operas  about 1 1/4 hour each and a 20 minute interval.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lastdance said:

I just hate that “wet” feeling in very humid countries; Since living in Houston for almost 30 years, the entire idea of a shower can be wasted in less than three minutes, not to mention my hair going wack-a-doodle!  Now, as far as one’s skin is concerned, it is lovely!🛀

Trust me I know.   My first job out of University was in Memphis -   Summer was usually 100 F and 100% humidity.   I would be soaked just walking from my Apartment to my car.

Silicon Valley is a very moderate Mediterranean climate. Summers are usually 65-78 with 40% humidity and we get nice breezes in the evening off SF Bay.    I think I used the AC once this summer.

Obviously my skin need hydration.....LOL

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DingoMom said:

Do you and Iain do Annual Travel Insurance, or trip insurance, or no insurance? Because you travel the way that (I think) most of us would like to, your insight on this would be most welcome!

We have eclectic coverage.   I have an Annual MediJet evacuation Coverage, GeoBlu Annual for Medical Coverage also Kaiser Covers us while traveling but have to submit.   I always book using Chase Sapphire Reserve that has coverage  for I think is $10,000 pp per trip.   They also have a bunch of coverage for lost luggage, delays etc etc. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DingoMom said:

And, lastly, I ❤️ spicy food. (I know Jim doesn’t!) Down on the water, most restaurants had a dish called ‘Chili Crab’. It sounded interesting to me, because I like chili and I like crab, but the ‘mixture’ sounds gross, any way you look at it! IF you are adventurous, and you like (at least a) little spicy, and you like crab, this is a MUST TRY!  I got mine ‘Thai hot’. It was fabulous! It is Not chili con carne, but rather chili peppers.🌶️ I loved it! Such great taste, flavor, and so fresh!! My husband (nothing spicy for him, thank you very much!) was tearing up from smelling my food. I cannot wait ti go back to Singapore and get more chili crab! 🌶️

I don't like hot hot --- but enjoy many of the Crab in Singapore.   They use to have these crab places on the seafront going toward the airport.    Incredible Garlic Crab and Black Pepper Crab. 

Believe it or not -   We had Mexican for lunch.   You can find anything in Singapore.

• Like 2

Ok before I begin today's tour,  we need to go back in time.   As I said in the 80's I was in Singapore working.   One weekend one of my Manager's and I who never got along decided to take an afternoon trip to Sentosa Island.  Some how during the day he asked about my wife and I corrected him and said husband.   His eyes went wide and apologized and then said -  I'm Gay also.  He was an Ex-Marine and always played this macho drill sergeant persona at work as a protection to being identified.  

We ended up becoming good friends in an Employer / Employee way.   We buried the hatchet on why we were such A$$holes to each other.

Ok === The story.     Santosa island was basically a deserted tropical island with a Fishing Village, an abandoned Military installation and artillery batteries.   There also was once a prisoner of war camp after the Japanese occupation.  The cherry on the Sunday was a screened in Butterfly sanctuary. 

We had a ball hiking and exploring the artillery batteries. 

Today we visited Santosa -   all I can say is what a disaster and we were all really disappointed. 

More as I bring you along on our journey.

• Like 8

We booked the tram tickets online for a 20% savings.  About $21 pp round trip. 

First we took MRT to Marina Bay MRT station.  

IMG_0506.thumb.jpeg.269b1a02ee04fb8477ca689529210613.jpeg

When we got to the Tram were able to bypass a line of over 100 waiting to buy tickets

IMG_0510.thumb.jpeg.f0f753d722e68d5ff6a14fc3d7923fbd.jpeg

TWO ships are in port - Aida and Silver Seas.  We have been advised of delays tomorrow as there will again be two ships.  Also lots of B2B’s to be processed. 

IMG_0514.thumb.jpeg.91f7b71f4d3b1c5438820436aed055ac.jpeg 

• Like 6

OK -- now the "Rest of the Story"

Sentosa is now Disneyland, Marine World, Universal Studios, Water Park, Madam Tussauds on Steroids.    If you love that type of stuff it's the place for you.   Basically a theme family resort all inclusive get away.

We were all so disappointed, we only stayed about 45 minutes.   Hawkers every were trying to sell you photos with Pythons, Parrots or Dolphins.

IMG_0516.thumb.jpeg.54e4a339f4d2f4a0521c317b62513af5.jpeg

IMG_0517.thumb.jpeg.6693474c74a185fcf61fc31ada4acf50.jpeg

IMG_0518.thumb.jpeg.3e8079bb24f71702bbd0a8d4f521e461.jpeg

IMG_0521.thumb.jpeg.c9883e9385429f20b31f05680d82fe93.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 8

So sorry for your disappointment with Santosa…It is really gutting when you look forward to revisiting a place you have loved and find it spoiled. In the last few years we have revisited a few place we first saw forty years ago and have been upset by changes that have taken place…

Much as we know not everywhere can be turned into world heritage sites and protected I think some thought needs to be taken in some areas. Particularly important to my mind are the ‘back street’ areas of many towns…the little shops, bars, restaurants that suddenly go and are replaced by an anonymous glass tower block. I think many cities are in danger of becoming historical facades but loosing their soul in the process.

Thoroughly enjoying your adventures!

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We modified plans and went to Clarke Quay.   It is a robust area along the Quay -  pronounced Key per Iain, David and Robert.   Ok I take constructive criticism.

We were in hunt for lunch -  everything you can imagine.  

IMG_0522.thumb.jpeg.09faef2bc5e6ab0c6096b824945e0395.jpeg

IMG_0524.thumb.jpeg.f9b23c7cde1e44ef74cffa2d03e7343d.jpeg

IMG_0525.thumb.jpeg.a2ec443f494401fec7afe78b63fd9f6b.jpeg

The 5x telephoto on the Max Pro is incredibly handy. 

IMG_0530.thumb.jpeg.efffc43286532cd10e9e9b6995ac4acc.jpeg

IMG_0531.thumb.jpeg.04b70cd16f92f3ee2e2e2f40dc80fccb.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 13