Jim_Iain Live - 2nd Half World Cruise - B2B Singapore to Down Under 11/25 – 12/21

Jim_Iain

Our last Excursion 

The Great Houses of Dunedin

This historic tour explores one of Dunedin's great houses as well as New Zealand's only castle. Your first stop will be at Olveston House, a historic 35 room mansion that was built by a prominent Dunedin businessman between 1904 and

1906. Visitors are transported into another era whilst experiencing the many treasures collected from around the world. Complete with its acre of manicured gardens, this is truly not to be missed. Next visit Larnach Castle on the crown of a wooded hill overlooking Otago Harbour. Designed in Scotland, the Neo-Gothic castle required three years to build and another twelve to complete. The castle boasts English tile work, Italian marble, Venetian glass, and exotic hardwoods from around the world.

Highlights

Meander through the opulent Olveston House, filled with treasures from around the world.

Be awed by the spectacular Larnach

Castle, perched atop a high hill with views of the Pacific Ocean, Otago Harbor, and the surrounding lands.

Take tea in the castle's massive ballroom.

• Like 3

The house and its contents were bequeathed to the city by Dorothy Theomin in 1966, along with an annual income of $4000.  Dorthy was unmarried and the final Heir to the Theormin fortune.

The council were initially opposed to accepting the gift, being concerned about ongoing maintenance costs for ratepayers.  After lobbying by the Friends of Olveston group, a Theomin Gallery Management Committee was established and the home was opened to the public the following year.

The house was left intact and is a living museum of times past. 

IMG_2589.thumb.jpeg.35d668f3705c421015b3b8a4979297ab.jpeg

IMG_2592.thumb.jpeg.4b6d4526a424c3f840da24c263e1d8ca.jpeg

IMG_2595.thumb.jpeg.e59e8fe60d9f5895843bc2af1a758644.jpeg

IMG_2596.thumb.jpeg.583c540f9b14f63207753a4152400836.jpeg

IMG_2597.jpeg

IMG_2599.jpeg

IMG_2600.jpeg

IMG_2601.jpeg

IMG_2603.jpeg

IMG_2604.jpeg

IMG_2605.jpeg

IMG_2606.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 17

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

If you read it on the Internet it must be true.... oops who said that

From a reliable Source  - https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/cruise/cruise-schedule/

image.thumb.png.45f00040c5e588865db2b515380c424a.png

image.thumb.png.35ca55358b7e897027523b127532afec.png

I believe what you may have read that Edge will be over-nighting in Sydney.   On 12/21/2023 for Disembarkation and Embarkation she will be at Overseas Passengers Terminal but will at some point shift location to the Athol Bay Anchorage and will commence tendering.

lol that was me, and I said that the next day we were tendering. 🙂

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Hate to say it but just use Apple Storage.   Since my phone has 500GB storage it is no problem.   Apple automatically synced to iCloud Storage on a real time basis and I can access them either from my phone or using iCloud from my laptop.

Apple keeps a thumbnail on your phone of older photos and when you wish to view or forward downloaded it for iCloud

thanks.. we are on Samsung Android systems but will explore  cloud and other storage options .my phone is new but my tablet is ready for an upgrade... 

Sal still prefers cameras over the phones  but they are cumbersome for travel...

you are doing great work with your new phone..it's a Master Class!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Big question is why do they call it a Hamburger when it isn't made of Ham.   Hmmm...

Ok -- answering my one question I Googled on it ----

The name "hamburger" comes from the seaport town of Hamburg, Germany, where it is thought that 19th-century sailors brought back the idea of raw shredded beef (known today as beef tartare) after trading with the Baltic provinces of Russia.

Are you friends with Cliff Calvin ? 😁

IMG_6604.gif.3abeba4b96a826e1029e02b523bee23b.gif

• Haha 3

“Which ship is the Double Cheeseburger listed???”

Here is the menu description from Eclipse.

”Luminae Double Cheese Burger

Smokey brisket, cheddar, pickles, horse radish BBQ sauce”

French fries not listed. I have only seen them offered with the lobster roll. Not a complaint, just reporting.

I miss the onion-bacon jam.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, asnaleah said:

French fries not listed. I have only seen them offered with the lobster roll. Not a complaint, just reporting.

Not to make work for anyone, but different threads on food categories like burgers, fries, steaks, and pizza may be useful for people to monitor, report, and comment on the quality of each, and allow for some QC.  It may also help to understand what the intended baseline is vs troubleshooting due to provisioning or bad cook.  Jim's and other trip reports (especially Jim due to breadth), and posting of menus definitely helps in this regard, and is very much appreciated - thank you.

With regard to fries, on Edge Spring 2022, Apex Spring 2023 each out of FLL, for example, we've only had at multiple venues, the same coated french fry (bright yellow) from frozen bags with multiple languages, which had the truffle oil spritz on the Retreat Sundeck and Luminae, but were plain at Mast Grill.  We also saw the same base frozen fry at Rooftop and in the OVC.  In videos, the same fry appears to be present at the Bistro (although I think they are marketed as fresh cut).

On the same trips as above, we had the same "thick" probably 8 oz burger patty at Luminae and the Sundeck.  

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Wookie01 said:

lol that was me, and I said that the next day we were tendering. 🙂

Thanks for confirming.   I remember you posted but couldn't find the post.  Wonder what time they will move the ship to tender location.   Port Schedule seems to suggest around midnight.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hcat said:

thanks.. we are on Samsung Android systems but will explore  cloud and other storage options .my phone is new but my tablet is ready for an upgrade... 

Sal still prefers cameras over the phones  but they are cumbersome for travel...

you are doing great work with your new phone..it's a Master Class!

I use to love my Camera but as you suggested traveling with it became cumbersome.   Noticed many nice cameras still in use but when I look at the size of the lenses, I cringe.    I have to say I am really impressed with the new iPhone and the 5X zoom.    It allows me to take pictures I previously would only been able to take with a Stand Alone camera.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, asnaleah said:

Interesting.   I know they are rolling out new menus and many new items on the menus.    Also that means some of our favorites have disappeared.   e.g. the Black Forest Cake (deconstructed) on the Lunch Menu. 

1 hour ago, Cap_D said:

@Jim_Iain Have you and Iain had any meals in your Royal Suite (I think that was the room type) this leg?  Since there's often talk of specialty dining being included in the upper suite fares, I figure I'd ask, although it seems you've had most meals in Luminae.  

We have only had breakfast in our room one day, due to an early excursion.    We do spend much time in our RS but like to go out to dinner.

We have eaten at Fine Cut and Eden (free with room) but not really impressed.    The Dover Sole(Fine Cut) was over cooked and heavy bread coating.    Iain is kinda burnt out on with Eden.    Also on Eden - while they advertise Nova Scotia Lobster they are actually serving Australian or New Zealand Lobster.

They should really correct their menu as it is indeed a bit of FALSE advertising.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'll be honest in admitting there is a large section of the U.S. we have never visited  -  Specifically the Montana, Indiana, Wyoming, North and South Carolina. 

We have talked about taking a land trip to visit Yellowstone National Park and the surrounding states.

I'm sure you would enjoy the wonderful mix of nature and history!

We certainly did. 😊

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We have only had breakfast in our room one day, due to an early excursion.    We do spend much time in our RS but like to go out to dinner.

We have eaten at Fine Cut and Eden (free with room) but not really impressed.    The Dover Sole(Fine Cut) was over cooked and heavy bread coating.    Iain is kinda burnt out on with Eden.    Also on Eden - while they advertise Nova Scotia Lobster they are actually serving Australian or New Zealand Lobster.

They should really correct their menu as it is indeed a bit of FALSE advertising.

I agree we like to be served and pampered which is why we like Luminae. We were so disappointed with the SR's on Apex and so happy when we were in Luminae. The only SR we liked was Raw on 5 for lunches and occasional dinner. On our Edge cruises next month Raw on 5 is the only R we booked for a dinner, once on each cruise on nights the Luminae looked not so good.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I agree we like to be served and pampered which is why we like Luminae. We were so disappointed with the SR's on Apex and so happy when we were in Luminae. The only SR we liked was Raw on 5 for lunches and occasional dinner. On our Edge cruises next month Raw on 5 is the only R we booked for a dinner, once on each cruise on nights the Luminae looked not so good.

I hope things improve on your sailing.    I have to say our experience in Luminae may only be a 7.   The waiters and assistant waiters a 10+   Somellier -- 7    Food --- 6-7.  

My ratings are based on a number of factors.    Food quality mixed.   

I think the main thing I'm noticing on Edge is that they have dropped the ball on what was always sold.  Meals individually prepared to order.    It is very apparent that meals are being made in advance like in the MDR on other ships.    Many dishes come out in piping hot dishes but the food itself is warm at best and on a couple occasions was cold inside as thought it was refrigerated and then reheated. 

Last night I had the Carbonara which I had previously had.    There was too much past and it was on the dry side.    We specifically asked to cut the amount of Pasta by 50%.     It came out so dry and the noodles were obviously pre-cooked and were a glob of starchy pasta in a big lump.    Our waiter tried to rescue by getting something else and finally brought out two bowls of extra sauce.     I ate about 1/4 and gave up.  

I'm convinced the problem is the management and kitchen staff.   The wait staff is really trying hard and getting us dishes from Blu and MDR.     Actually some of the food from MDR is much better that what has been coming out of Luminae Kitchen.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

THE SOUNDS (CRUISING)

Dusky Sound: 8:30am - 10:15am

Steep cliffs that have been carved over centuries by dozens of waterfalls surround the largest and most complex of the many fjords along the New Zealand coast, Dusky Sound. Noted as an Important Bird Area due to the breeding of the Fiordland Penguins, Dusky Sound is a wildlife paradise, with seals and dolphins patrolling the water, and birds like broad billed prions, mottled petrels and sooty shearwaters floating on the overhead thermals.

Doubtful Sound: 11:45am - 1:15pm

Once you breathe more than natural air and experience the atmosphere's serenity, you'll see why Doubtful Sound is inarguably a favored peaceful destination. This serves as a playground for a number of species, including fur seals and two types of penguins - the fiordland crested and blue penguin.

Milford Sound: 5:00pm - 6:00pm Situated

within Fiordland National Park, this natural wonder is part of the Te Wahipounamu World Heritage Site and is protected by its natural geography, which makes it a haven for all types of wildlife.

Milford Sound: 5:00pm - 6:00pm Situated within Fiordland

National Park, this natural wonder is part of the Te Wahipounamu World Heritage Site and is protected by its natural geography, which makes it a haven for all types of wildlife.

IMG_2806.thumb.jpeg.dfe136e124c5c70108f487fd0d5389ed.jpeg

IMG_2772.thumb.jpeg.b2d9cf6a3d3e92748bf78307a647d4d5.jpeg

IMG_2786.thumb.jpeg.16daf9c5248d8daa7637103edde9bb00.jpeg

IMG_2789.thumb.jpeg.8a795f66e5f2a48d558c55d4d30830ab.jpeg

IMG_2790.jpeg

l

IMG_2792.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 27

For lunch today we went to French Bistro 

It was a perfect place to enjoy a quiet lunch and watch the passage through the Sound. 

IMG_2798.thumb.jpeg.963cf1649e283c098fa82a82fe5ce07b.jpeg

IMG_2796.thumb.jpeg.e3ae40e75168dc7176ab53761cbea75b.jpeg

IMG_2799.thumb.jpeg.bc80940be22413624be659062b6f5423.jpeg

I had the Mussels and the Ham and cheese.   

IMG_2802.thumb.jpeg.39b04d30860805532333b5f52ca488aa.jpeg

IMG_2803.thumb.jpeg.8d3307c102029565474e6e2a57c33a38.jpeg

No room for desert.  

• Like 13