Melbourne: Culture High World Ranking

TLCOhio

From the London/UK Daily Mail this morning, they had this headline: The best cities in the world for culture in 2023 named with these background highlights: “Time Out's ranking was drawn up via a survey of 21,000 city-dwellers across the globe who were asked about the 'quality' and 'affordability' of their city's cultural scene.”

In Australia, here are their reporting highlight for their world rankings: "In 10th spot is Melbourne, with Time Out describing it as a 'pretty fun place to be'.  'From graffiti-covered laneways to the artistic hub of Fed Square, culture is alive and well in Melbourne,' says Time Out.  Its 'thriving community of creatives and artists' makes the city 'a pretty fun place to be', the publication notes.  It continues: 'Take it from the locals: Melburnians praised their city for its vibrancy, variety and sense of community, shouting out annual events like Moomba as well as cultural institutions like the NGV, Australia’s most-visited and longest-running art museum.' "

Does Sydney feel over-looked?  Or, is Melbourne better for culture versus Sydney?

Full story at:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-12779565/The-best-cities-world-culture-2023-named-Time-Edinburgh-beating-New-York-Melbourne-trumping-Paris-none-make-five.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 246,392 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

From the London/UK Daily Mail this morning, they had this headline: The best cities in the world for culture in 2023 named with these background highlights: “Time Out's ranking was drawn up via a survey of 21,000 city-dwellers across the globe who were asked about the 'quality' and 'affordability' of their city's cultural scene.”

In Australia, here are their reporting highlight for their world rankings: "In 10th spot is Melbourne, with Time Out describing it as a 'pretty fun place to be'.  'From graffiti-covered laneways to the artistic hub of Fed Square, culture is alive and well in Melbourne,' says Time Out.  Its 'thriving community of creatives and artists' makes the city 'a pretty fun place to be', the publication notes.  It continues: 'Take it from the locals: Melburnians praised their city for its vibrancy, variety and sense of community, shouting out annual events like Moomba as well as cultural institutions like the NGV, Australia’s most-visited and longest-running art museum.' "

Does Sydney feel over-looked?  Or, is Melbourne better for culture versus Sydney?

Full story at:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-12779565/The-best-cities-world-culture-2023-named-Time-Edinburgh-beating-New-York-Melbourne-trumping-Paris-none-make-five.html

o

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 246,392 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

Thanks Terry  I think Melbourne is better than Sydney for culture.  

• Like 1

Not that Sydney doesn't have a lot of cultural offerings, just Melbourne is better.  All the great musical theatre goes to Melbourne before Sydney.  In Brisbane, they just knocked everything down.  They kept the facade of the beautiful Regent Theatre on the Mall.  I remember someone swinging across the audience from the stage, music in the interval, Newsreels news, as well as the movie.  Plus cigarette girls with free cigarettes on trays to give to patrons.  Can you believe it?  

15 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Not that Sydney doesn't have a lot of cultural offerings, just Melbourne is better.  All the great musical theatre goes to Melbourne before Sydney.  In Brisbane, they just knocked everything down.  They kept the facade of the beautiful Regent Theatre on the Mall.  I remember someone swinging across the audience from the stage, music in the interval, Newsreels news, as well as the movie.  Plus cigarette girls with free cigarettes on trays to give to patrons.  Can you believe it?  

plus cartoons.  Going to the movies was an event!

3 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

Clearly this was written, assessed and awarded by someone who'd never been to Mandurah!

My first thought was actually that the people who voted for Melbourne having the best culture must have never been to Melbourne, or at least not spent much time there, or perhaps the problem is that they haven't spent enough time elsewhere 😮

All my life I have heard Melbourne has the best culture, the best shopping, the best coffee, the best food etc etc. My experience is that they do not excel in any of these, but I admit that they are the sporting capital of the country, and indeed perhaps the world. 

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

My first thought was actually that the people who voted for Melbourne having the best culture must have never been to Melbourne, or at least not spent much time there, or perhaps the problem is that they haven't spent enough time elsewhere 😮

All my life I have heard Melbourne has the best culture, the best shopping, the best coffee, the best food etc etc. My experience is that they do not excel in any of these, but I admit that they are the sporting capital of the country, and indeed perhaps the world. 

Any Capital which gets the first production of live musical theatre has to be doing something right.  Also they do small theatre productions well.  Of course, they have a lot of old theatres from which to choose.

I went to one downstairs whilst they were still renovating the balcony upstairs.   Our family has flown to Melbourne for live theatre much more than to Sydney.  Agree they are also the sporting capital, despite other Capitals working hard to take sports away from them.

So if theatre is the measure for culture, then Canberra should get the gong. We have the House of Representatives and the Senate competing for the honours of which has the best performances of looking after our nations welfare while entertaining us all by acheiving hardly anything. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Not a fan of Melbourne, been there a few times, my favourites are Adelaide, Perth, Sydney.

Which is the best for culture in your opinion?  I like them all.  The only one I don't visit regularly is Perth because of the Distance.  I also like Darwin because it is unique, more Asian.  

23 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Which is the best for culture in your opinion?  I like them all.  The only one I don't visit regularly is Perth because of the Distance.  I also like Darwin because it is unique, more Asian.  

Not into culture, like concerts, shows, shopping etc but like museums, restaurants. Not mad on Melbourne as a result. Had 3 days there last year on Coral Princess with mic and rosie, julie and rolf, plus a few others, they looked after me. When we got stuck there because of rough seas outside, Went into Melbourne every day. It was ok, but not quite to my taste.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

So if theatre is the measure for culture, then Canberra should get the gong. We have the House of Representatives and the Senate competing for the honours of which has the best performances of looking after our nations welfare while entertaining us all by acheiving hardly anything. 

Canberra is my no.4 before Brisvegas and Darwin.

4 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Not into culture, like concerts, shows, shopping etc but like museums, restaurants. Not mad on Melbourne as a result. Had 3 days there last year on Coral Princess when we got stuck there because of rough seas outside. Went into Melbourne every day. It was ok, but not quite to my taste.

Melbourne has great museums  Probably been to all of them over the years.  Canberra has great museums also.  Melbourne has lovely parks and gardens.