Birth Certificate

cruiseorcamp

Our young friend and  her son will be taking their first cruise in a few weeks.

They will be traveling with her drivers license and their birth certificates.

Do they need to take the original of the birth certificates or a copy?

We have passports and have cruised over 20 years, but only once with birth certificates.

I hesitate to take originals...only passport 

Thank you.

I would take a certified (raised seal) copy.  It's not the original.  Originals are typically recorded at a Court House and what people call "originals" are just official copies.  More can be obtained if one is lost or destroyed.  Just make certain it isn't a "hospital" birth certificate.  It has to be an official document that confirms citizenship.  When in doubt, call NCL.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, IAcruising said:

Ugh. Original, if possible. Raised seal, if possible. Notarized, if necessary. No photocopies. How long ago did they book? Get a passport next time.

It needs to be certified, it doesn’t need a raised seal, in fact most states don’t issue those any longer. 

2 minutes ago, zqvol said:

It needs to be certified, it doesn’t need a raised seal, in fact most states don’t issue those any longer. 

Yes, that's why someone suggesting a "raised seal" isn't always possible. I won't trust what will or will not be accepted. Get a frickin' passport before you book a cruise. Common sense.

If it is a one-off cruise, there is absolutely no need to waste time and money on a passport. You are perfectly fine traveling with a birth certificate. Lots of people do every week. 

When the Escape ran aground in the Dominican Republic earlier this year, and dumped all 4500 passengers on the pier, the hundreds of people offloaded with birth certificates flew home to the US just fine. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

When the Escape ran aground in the Dominican Republic earlier this year, and dumped all 4500 passengers on the pier, the hundreds of people offloaded with birth certificates flew home to the US just fine. 

Well, it works just fine, until it doesn't.

• Like 4

Man, the passport cheerleaders always make me laugh on these threads.  Your friend and her son will have an amazing cruise.  I think the original question has been answered.  Don't pay any attention to the passport talk, which has absolutely nothing to do with your question 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I would take a certified (raised seal) copy.  It's not the original.  Originals are typically recorded at a Court House and what people call "originals" are just official copies.  More can be obtained if one is lost or destroyed.  Just make certain it isn't a "hospital" birth certificate.  It has to be an official document that confirms citizenship.  When in doubt, call NCL.

Important point, official copy, not the hospital one. Way back when DW got her first passport as an adult after we were married, it turned out her mother had sent her the hospital copy and thrown out the official copy. She had to apply for an official copy from the jurisdiction where she was born.

The funny thing is that even though that took some time, so she applied for the passport after me, she got her passport before I got mine.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

What happens if you have to be offloaded at a foreign port for any possible reason?   You should NEVER travel without a valid passport even if one is not NEEDED.

There are so many US citizens living out their lives in other countries for this reason, never allowed to return. Very sad.

• Haha 7

11 hours ago, IAcruising said:

No photocopies. 

My official state issued birth certificate is the ultimate photo copy.

The state where I was born (many, many  years ago) had a blackboard with the required information form permanently painted on the surface.  Chalk was used to filled in the information and a photograph was taken of the completed blackboard.

I am assuming that the photo negative was stored and when I required an official copy. I received an obviously  printed photo with a raised seal

• Like 1

Raised seal is essential but it’s still a calculated risk traveling without a passport to foreign ports. If your friend is taking that risk I would suggest a comprehensive travel insurance to mitigate impact if things go sour.

For example kid breaks leg while on an excursion and they have to go to a local hospital. Now stuck in country without a passport. They have to travel to a consulate to get a rush out of country passport. This takes time and can cost. Comprehensive travel insurance can help cover expenses related to all the extra travel and time in country.

Risks can be small but should be calculated and mitigated when possible. I personally would never travel without a passport but the US system is different. Your passports cost more and take more time plus people travel less internationally so there is less of an appeal to have a passport.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cruiseorcamp said:

Our young friend and  her son will be taking their first cruise in a few weeks.

They will be traveling with her drivers license and their birth certificates.

Do they need to take the original of the birth certificates or a copy?

We have passports and have cruised over 20 years, but only once with birth certificates.

I hesitate to take originals...only passport 

Thank you.

Your "friend" has been sent admonishments from the cruise line on the requirements for their cruise in multiple forms. I am not sure why they waited until their cruise to figure out what documentation they need to leave the country.

Birth certificates are only valid on closed-loop (leaving and returning to the same US port) for US Citizens. All other cruises require a passport. 

You need to have a State CertifiedUS Birth Certificate. Not a hospital certificate of birth. My state certified birth certificate is a print out of a microfilm picture of my original birth certificate with embossed printed endorsement (no raised seal) from the State where I was born. 

Children over the age of 16 need a government issued photo ID. 

It is very important that your "friend" and all cruisers read all of the documentation requirements for their cruise. Read the prohibited items. Read the cruise contract. Read the COVID vaccination and documentation requirements. Understand what they need before they are denied boarding. The issue of a photocopy should not even be a question if your "friend" took 5 minutes to click and read the links that are on the travel documents and emails sent from NCL. 

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents

Proof of Citizenship (see below) AND Government-issued photo ID

(Baptismal paper, hospital certificates of birth, and Puerto Rico birth certificates issued prior to 7/1/10 are not acceptable.)

• State certified U.S. birth certificate

Photocopies or pictures of documents will not be accepted.

*A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 does not require a government-issued photo ID.

A valid passport is required on all sailings that begin in one US port and end in another US port.

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

Man, the passport cheerleaders always make me laugh on these threads.  Your friend and her son will have an amazing cruise.  I think the original question has been answered.  Don't pay any attention to the passport talk, which has absolutely nothing to do with your question 

I love ya d, but c'mon. A passport is $13 a year. You seriously don't think it's the way to go? I realize it wasn't an option in this case, but in general?

11 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

I love ya d, but c'mon. A passport is $13 a year. You seriously don't think it's the way to go? I realize it wasn't an option in this case, but in general?

My point wasn't whether a passport is the way to go.  It was more to the fact that it was irrelevant to the OP's question and it's not the end of the world if you choose not to one.  I do find it funny that people react so strongly to it.  That being said, I'm going on my 8th cruise in January and I've never had a passport.  The cost has nothing to do with it.  I simply don't have a need/want.  To each, his/her own.  You can throw out a bunch of ifs for all situations 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

My point wasn't whether a passport is the way to go.  It was more to the fact that it was irrelevant to the OP's question and it's not the end of the world if you choose not to one.  I do find it funny that people react so strongly to it.  That being said, I'm going on my 8th cruise in January and I've never had a passport.

I get it. Whatever works. I'm just a "plan b" (and c and d) kind of guy. I react strongly because the thought of getting stuck in a foreign country without a passport makes my skin crawl.  Having a pre-plan for all circumstances is actually a huge stress reliever for me. Others are free to disagree.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

I get it. Whatever works. I'm just a "plan b" (and c and d) kind of guy. I react strongly because the thought of getting stuck in a foreign country without a passport makes my skin crawl.  Having a pre-plan for all circumstances is actually a huge stress reliever for me. Others are free to disagree.

No one should disagree.  It works for you.  As long as we're all having an amazing time.....

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

I have a number of young friends/family who travel by the seat of their pants. They would take issue with my OCD-style planning. 😆

Haha all my friends are OCD like me for travel. My family however makes me shake my head. Thankfully for the upcoming family trip I have the green light to keep them all in line. Literally told them they can’t get pregnant for 10 months. Passports will be checked 6 months out. Easier if I just ask the questions instead of them having to do any research.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

Haha all my friends are OCD like me for travel. My family however makes me shake my head. Thankfully for the upcoming family trip I have the green light to keep them all in line. Literally told them they can’t get pregnant for 10 months. Passports will be checked 6 months out. Easier if I just ask the questions instead of them having to do any research.

That's funny (and very believable).  Now you just need to figure out how to ensure that everyone packs their passport when they leave home.  Like I said elsewhere: Passport, medications, cash/cards.  The big three.  Get those correct and you're 90%+ there.

• Like 2