Viking Mars food and bed poor?

kahuna21

6 minutes ago, minka34 said:

Funny, the only thing I liked for the GB Chef's Table menu was the fish! 😆

Hence the entire discussion about food....!  We did not care for it and you liked it!  But as I said, we would give the GB menu another go for sure.

4 hours ago, deec said:

Do NOT take a Viking River Cruise.  Tables for 2 are non-existent.  2 on the Aquavit terrace that are impossible to get.

This is what puts me off booking a river cruise, otherwise I’d love to do them. But we just cannot face being sociable if we’re tired at the end of a long day walking around a town, etc. we just like to sit and chat to each other, eat our meal, and move on to relax somewhere.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bluestocking7 said:

What's the procedure for getting a mattress topper?  Do you request one in advance or do you just ask your cabin attendant once you're on board?  A hard mattress is pretty unendurable for me.

We asked our cabin attendant when he introduced himself, as well as our request to exchange the soft drinks and liquor for bottles of wine. It was accomplished during the time we ate lunch, arranged for some onboard activities, enjoyed a cup of coffee, and wandered around the ship a bit.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, deec said:

Do NOT take a Viking River Cruise.  Tables for 2 are non-existent.  2 on the Aquavit terrace that are impossible to get.

Absolutely agree with that. People arrive at Aquavit over an hour before it opens just to get a table. We don't mind sharing a table for 4 with a couple we've talked to previously onboard, but sitting at a table for 8 to 10, even if we knew one other couple, was overwhelming to us. We're hoping Viking Ocean won't be like that. We've booked tables for 2 at the Chef's Table and Manfredi's (although we don't normally eat out for Italian since it's so easy to make at home), and will need to check out the other dining venues once we board to see if small tables are available. We might need to use the antisocial excuse if they try to send us to the giant tables.

When we moved to our condo here in Florida over 10 years ago, a neighbor asked if I wanted to join the social committee. I said no, but if they needed someone for the antisocial committee, I was available.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

Absolutely agree with that. People arrive at Aquavit over an hour before it opens just to get a table. We don't mind sharing a table for 4 with a couple we've talked to previously onboard, but sitting at a table for 8 to 10, even if we knew one other couple, was overwhelming to us. We're hoping Viking Ocean won't be like that. We've booked tables for 2 at the Chef's Table and Manfredi's (although we don't normally eat out for Italian since it's so easy to make at home), and will need to check out the other dining venues once we board to see if small tables are available. We might need to use the antisocial excuse if they try to send us to the giant tables.

When we moved to our condo here in Florida over 10 years ago, a neighbor asked if I wanted to join the social committee. I said no, but if they needed someone for the antisocial committee, I was available.

There are plenty of tables for 2 in the MDR. Admittedly some are relatively close together, so only room for one waiter to get between, and this means that should you decide to do so, you can chat to your neighbors, but equally if they don't seem that interesting, you don't have to. We just played it by ear and inclination as to whether we would exchange more than a good evening with our neighboring tables. You could too ...

• Like 4

I find the discussion about people wanting to dine only at two-tops ... interesting. 

I am a solo traveler. I often eat out alone, but on a cruise ship, I will ask to be seated at a shared table. I sure hope there are plenty of couples and groups who are willing to welcome a singleton at their tables on my upcoming cruise -- my first on Viking.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

We haven’t sailed yet on Viking River. We have sailed numerous times on Viking Ocean and have dined with more than 2 per table once. It was very enjoyable and we would do that again

At home we eat early and usually make our dining reservations for VO for 6pm and we have found the dining venues empty at that time.

We would be happy to join a “giant table”, but I agree, it would be difficult to leave even if you had an excuse to do so. 

5 minutes ago, GerryL13 said:

I find the discussion about people wanting to dine only at two-tops ... interesting. 

I am a solo traveler. I often eat out alone, but on a cruise ship, I will ask to be seated at a shared table. I sure hope there are plenty of couples and groups who are willing to welcome a singleton at their tables on my upcoming cruise -- my first on Viking.

Yes there are! We often sit at a table for two but are fine with groups as well. We’ve done a couple of Viking River cruises and quickly ended up with groups we got along with very well. Ocean cruises seem to have more people who don’t prefer group tables. 

2 minutes ago, GerryL13 said:

We often run into single people on VO. You would certainly be welcome to dine/socialize with us!  Although, we’re usually pyjammied by 9pm and in the gym by 5am — so pretty boring. 😉

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Goosebear Mum said:

This is what puts me off booking a river cruise, otherwise I’d love to do them. But we just cannot face being sociable if we’re tired at the end of a long day walking around a town, etc. we just like to sit and chat to each other, eat our meal, and move on to relax somewhere.  

On our most recent Viking River cruise, there were no tables for two in the dining room but we connected with two couples the first day which had a hotel night before the actual cruise began.  We ended up sitting with them for all meals for the cruise at a table of 6.  (Actually table of 6 was the smallest table)

A couple of times the 6 top was not available and we ended up at a table of 8 or 10 and a couple of times the additional couples that sat with us - other than nodding when they sat down - never spoke to us.  They just carried on their own conversation and they never appeared to want to get to know us so we just left them alone...

On Portugal's River of Gold River cruise, there were tables for 2 in the dining room.  This ship however was purpose built for the Douro River and is shorter in length with only about half the passengers.  I do remember that there were many tables for 2 on that ship in the main dining.  This ship did not have the outside terrace.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, minka34 said:

Response above was to @CDNPolar

We also love the Chef's Table nearly every menu.

We have only been on twoViking Ocean cruises but found the Chef’s table menus too fishy for our liking.  On our last cruise we cancelled two nights after getting a look at the menu.

A question, but maybe for a different thread——when making dining reservations on MVJ prior to sailing,  how does one find the Chef Table’s menus for specific dates?  On our last cruise we didn’t see the-menus until onboard.  

• Like 1

The only way that I know of to find out the CT menu in advance is if someone on the ship is posting from the cruise before yours.  You can check for a roll call if you know the itinerary prior.  Sometimes a passenger will post a "Live from..." ongoing review on the general Viking Ocean forum.  Generally, the menu is the same for 3 days and then changes. However, this cruise, (Trans Atlantic from Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale on the Sky) one menu was only for 2 days; this might have been due to the Thanksgiving holiday since it seemed to coincide but not sure why that should matter as the CT menu was not a Thanksgiving theme.

Edited by minka34
adding detail

14 hours ago, GerryL13 said:

If you get a table where everyone gets along, then yeah...it can be great.  If we have met folks and know we get along with them great, then a larger table is no problem.

However, many have horror stories of big tables that are extremely uncomfortable due to folks having vastly different views...and of course, some folks can't just keep their mouths shut on topics they know are sensitive.  Similar to the "weird uncle" at the Thanksgiving table...🤣.  Therefore, quite a few of us don't want to deal with being seated at big tables with a bunch of strangers!   Strangers is the key...like I said, if you meet folks beforehand and get along well, then I'd wager most don't have an issue with dining with them at a larger table.

Personality type is key as well.  I'm somewhat of an introvert, but can carry the table in conversation...but man sometimes it is work to do that for someone like me.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, minka34 said:

The only way that I know of to find out the CT menu in advance is if someone on the ship is posting from the cruise before yours.  You can check for a roll call if you know the itinerary prior.  Sometimes a passenger will post a "Live from..." ongoing review on the general Viking Ocean forum.  Generally, the menu is the same for 3 days and then changes. However, this cruise, (Trans Atlantic from Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale on the Sky) one menu was only for 2 days; this might have been due to the Thanksgiving holiday since it seemed to coincide but not sure why that should matter as the CT menu was not a Thanksgiving theme.

The menu for the next cruise is usually not seen on the TV until the new people board.  IME, doing back to backs, the menu doesn’t repeat in a consistent manner, so the menu sequence in the 15 days of one cruise may not be the same sequence of menus for the next 15 days.  
We did see some menus that were just for 2 days, and I think I saw some for 4 days too.  

18 hours ago, Goosebear Mum said:

We just booked our first river cruise with Scenic iso Viking for precisely this reason (actually, among several reason why Scenic came out ahead when comparing to Viking).  They have 3 different dining areas (some with 2 tops, but the MDR doesn't have many 2 tops), PLUS ROOM SERVICE!  So for those nights we're not feeling at all sociable, we can just order room service and eat it on our "balcony" while watching the river slide by.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, BlairsvilleCruiseGirl said:

We just booked our first river cruise with Scenic iso Viking for precisely this reason (actually, among several reason why Scenic came out ahead when comparing to Viking).  They have 3 different dining areas (some with 2 tops, but the MDR doesn't have many 2 tops), PLUS ROOM SERVICE!  So for those nights we're not feeling at all sociable, we can just order room service and eat it on our "balcony" while watching the river slide by.

Scenic is excellent with a much wider range of Nationalities on board.  Sometimes that makes conversations much more interesting.  Friend just back from excellent Viking Douro cruise but of the 94 passengers  6 from the UK, 4 from Australia and 4 Canadians.  All the rest from US.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BlairsvilleCruiseGirl said:

Interesting...thanks for the info!  I'll have to look into Scenic further.

We are going to be doing our first river in May. One of the reasons we have not done one sooner is because we didn't relish the dining situation. I am wondering if after a few meals you can kind of gravitate to tables where you avoid people that make the dining experience less desirable. On oceans we pick up pretty quickly people we want to avoid. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

We are going to be doing our first river in May. One of the reasons we have not done one sooner is because we didn't relish the dining situation. I am wondering if after a few meals you can kind of gravitate to tables where you avoid people that make the dining experience less desirable. On oceans we pick up pretty quickly people we want to avoid. 

I like to think of it more as we pick up pretty quickly on people we want to socialize with.  Although I must say, we are doing our first River cruise next fall, and I dread breakfast with the masses!

5 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

I like to think of it more as we pick up pretty quickly on people we want to socialize with.  Although I must say, we are doing our first River cruise next fall, and I dread breakfast with the masses!

Breakfast isn't so bad, people turn up at different times. We aim for just as the first excursions are leaving when it's quieter. In the evening we dodge the port talk crowd and nab a table in the lounge. You can hear most of the talk, and avoid the dinner stampede. The other tactic is to devide and conquer, one at the talk and going to the dining room in advance to get a table. We aim for the end of one of the long rectangular tables

15 hours ago, BlairsvilleCruiseGirl said:

We're switching to scenic for rivers, in the past Viking were better value for us as we don't take ship excursions, but price per day is now the about the same, and we also like the sound of  Scenic's dining arrangements. 

Their excursions also look better than Viking's optional ones so we might go on a few for the convenience.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

On the Mars a year ago, we went to the Restaurant the first night, got a great quiet table and a terrific waiter. He and we hit it off and managed to get the same table and waiter for the entire trip (we ate at Manfredis one night)…when management moved his station, he moved us with him. Probably will never happen again, but it was perfect for us!

• Like 1