Should we try Oceania?

tobique33040

50 minutes ago, tobique33040 said:

😂I love thinking

Truthfully I admire that you think..some people think and some do..I am the one that does and at times have realized maybe I should have given it more thought.before making a decision..Have a fabulous cruise whatever your thinking helps you decide..

Jancruz1

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, tobique33040 said:

😂I love thinking

My DH and I have booked our first Oceania cruise, but it does not leave for a long time; however, I am really excited about having a new ship experience on Vista, along with enjoying the food too.  You do not know until your try, so if the itinerary is what drives you, make it happen!  Variety is the spice of life and I certainly understand trying to find out as much information as possible because I do that too, over and over again until I just book it!

• Like 1

There are a few things you need to know about going in a few days early if you are doing air through Oceania. If you go in more than 3 days early there will be an additional charge per person, I think it's now $199 pp. Also going in early will probably impact the transfers, but that would be a question for your TA or Oceania. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

Truthfully I admire that you think..some people think and some do..I am the one that does and at times have realized maybe I should have given it more thought.before making a decision..Have a fabulous cruise whatever your thinking helps you decide..

Jancruz1

Jan, have you seen the last few posts on the thread about Final Payment date changing, especially the one from Host Anne? I think it could use your input. 

7 minutes ago, ORV said:

There are a few things you need to know about going in a few days early if you are doing air through Oceania. If you go in more than 3 days early there will be an additional charge per person, I think it's now $199 pp. Also going in early will probably impact the transfers, but that would be a question for your TA or Oceania. 

Thank you. That is something I will try to find out when my TA calls me back. Thanks much. 

Really enjoyed Oceania Vista on an Istambul to Rome this summer.  Some food wasnt quite as premium as on prior cruises, possibly due to a bit of cost cutting, but still excellent.  Comparable to Viking Ocean IMHO, with a bit fancier food, maybe a bit larger ships.

• Like 1

Just now, Pizzasteve said:

Really enjoyed Oceania Vista on an Istambul to Rome this summer.  Some food wasnt quite as premium as on prior cruises, possibly due to a bit of cost cutting, but still excellent.  Comparable to Viking Ocean IMHO, with a bit fancier food, maybe a bit larger ships.

We are not foodies, so I’ll reckon we will be happy. Thank you very much. 

41 minutes ago, tobique33040 said:

Thank you. That is something I will try to find out when my TA calls me back. Thanks much. 

As international air prices have settled a little bit for now, there’s a chance you can do better doing your own air compared to Oceania air prices. It was already mentioned before that going to Southampton from the central London isn’t that complicated or expensive. London is so worth several days of exploring.

• Like 3

Yes, I’d like to go to London again. And I’ve got miles on several airlines, so I’ll have to see what my travel companion wants to do. I think we are definitely going to book this one. I love the Cruise Critic boards. So many people are very kind and helpful. It’s a super resource. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, osandomir said:

As international air prices have settled a little bit for now, there’s a chance you can do better doing your own air compared to Oceania air prices. It was already mentioned before that going to Southampton from the central London isn’t that complicated or expensive. London is so worth several days of exploring.

48 minutes ago, tobique33040 said:

We are not foodies, so I’ll reckon we will be happy. Thank you very much. 

2 minutes ago, osandomir said:

We were on our first O cruise last month. 10 days on Marina. Loved every minute. The only disappointment, although not unexpected, were the shows. There was a nice piano player in Martinis., a string quartet before dinner, and nice music in Horizons after Dinner, if we were still awake. the food was very good, the service great, the ship was lovely. Surprisingly, it is due for refurbishment, and we just booked another marina cruise to see the changes next year. Enjoy.

We have friends who talked about eating in terrace Grill. They are not dressed up people. We thought that was the reason. We enjoyed several lunches, and 2 Dinners in terrace Grill outside in the beautiful weather.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ORV said:

Jan, have you seen the last few posts on the thread about Final Payment date changing, especially the one from Host Anne? I think it could use your input. 

I didnt read it Orv but I will..I know I have talked to the office talked about lots of changes they are making I will see what I can do..

Just a month now..cant wait..till our cruise although lots to do before I leave..

Love to Teresa and you

Jancruz1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tobique33040 said:

So we begin in London, but it appears to be leaving Southampton. I think we will take the included airfare so Oceania will make our reservations. We were thinking of doing a few days in London, but the logistics of getting to Southampton seem daunting. Whereas with the included airfare, transfers to the ship are provided. If it were Greenwich or somewhere close I’d not be concerned. But Southampton is on the coast I believe. 
We will be using our TA so I’m hoping to get an idea from her about this. 

We’ve sailed Oceania 9 times with two more booked so I guess we’re fans!

Just one thing to check. Oceania flights do include transfers when you go straight from the flight to the ship but I’m not certain that they will be included if you spend several days in London prior to the cruise. Worth checking before you decide on Oceania air. 

The other point with airlines is that you will have far more autonomy with flights if you book your own. Cruise lines tend use their ‘preferred’ airlines and often don’t give you the best routings/timings. If you plan on arriving three days early check out your own flights you can always take the air credit.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, tobique33040 said:

So the Sirena was refurbished in 2019. Is the bathroom nice but tiny? Thank you for the information. Everything we can learn is helpful. 

We have cruised with Oceania since 2013, we’re retired so we focus on itineraries in the 4 to 6 week range.
All travel so far has been have on the R ships, in A cabins. Love them!!  
We find the bathrooms small, but not tiny and very nice. The storage on the R ships  is also very well laid out.

Also the advice here on doing your own air travel and take the air credit is very wise in my opinion.
Happy thinking and planning😊

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vallesan said:

We’ve sailed Oceania 9 times with two more booked so I guess we’re fans!

Just one thing to check. Oceania flights do include transfers when you go straight from the flight to the ship but I’m not certain that they will be included if you spend several days in London prior to the cruise. Worth checking before you decide on Oceania air. 

The other point with airlines is that you will have far more autonomy with flights if you book your own. Cruise lines tend use their ‘preferred’ airlines and often don’t give you the best routings/timings. If you plan on arriving three days early check out your own flights you can always take the air credit.

Happy to hear more good things about Oceania. On Viking, you can pay a nominal fee for what I think they call flight deviation. We have used it to arrive early or leave later once or twice. But, as you and others suggest may be true with Oceania, we did have to get ourselves to the ship. But as we have been given great information about getting to Southampton, maybe we will do that. In 2022, I took my daughter on a Viking cruise departing from London. We stayed in Mayfair central London, so it was a ways from Greenwich. Didn’t want to lug our bags on the Tube so we got an Uber and it was great. My friend hasn’t been to London, so we will see what Oceania says.

2 hours ago, alaskaca said:

We have cruised with Oceania since 2013, we’re retired so we focus on itineraries in the 4 to 6 week range.
All travel so far has been have on the R ships, in A cabins. Love them!!  
We find the bathrooms small, but not tiny and very nice. The storage on the R ships  is also very well laid out.

Also the advice here on doing your own air travel and take the air credit is very wise in my opinion.
Happy thinking and planning😊

Oh I didn’t realize there is an air credit if you do the Simply more. I’d rather do the More than have to pay individually. I’m used to Viking where it’s pretty easy to figure out😊. But I’d like to have another go to cruise line. Thanks very much. 

17 minutes ago, tobique33040 said:

Oh I didn’t realize there is an air credit if you do the Simply more. I’d rather do the More than have to pay individually. I’m used to Viking where it’s pretty easy to figure out😊. But I’d like to have another go to cruise line. Thanks very much. 

Our only negative with Oceania is their communication in many situations is horrible, either written or having all phone reps on the same page.
I truly don’t understand an organization that excels in so many areas, not able/willing to to correct this. 

• Like 1

Funnily enough, I hear that a lot about Viking. People get different answers from whomever happens to answer the phone. We usually deal with our TA, but last winter, we were affected by the Lufthansa strike and it was a cluster…We eventually got home, with some help from Viking and a lot of our own persistence. Travel today is more difficult than it has been at times, but it’s worth it. Gotta keep that glass half full, rather than half empty. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, osandomir said:

going to Southampton from the central London isn’t that complicated or expensive.

If you look at the UK "ports of call" subforum, you'll find lots of different suggestions for this. It's almost a weekly question there. 

• Like 1

It is simple

You have  2 options both included SM ( wine, Champagne (by the glass) & Beer with lunch & dinner only)  + the Excursion credit  for excursions ONLY

Option 1 Cruise  with air included 

Option 2  Cruise with NO air

If you take O air transfers are included on the day of embarkation  & Disembarkation

If you want to fly in or stay  longer than sailing days  you pay a deviation fee  you can choose the flights & routing & O will try to get those

Suggest you check DIY  air  & compare  prices 

If you want BIZ  air  book your own

do the math & see what works best for YOU

18 hours ago, ORV said:

Important further context to your point is that the $199 allows to pick and approve your own flights rather than risk being assigned potentially inconvenient or risky connections chosen by Oceania.

2 minutes ago, edgee said:

Important further context to your point is that the $199 allows to pick and approve your own flights rather than risk being assigned potentially inconvenient or risky connections chosen by Oceania.

Yes but, depending on what you pick you can also have additional fees. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LHT28 said:

It is simple

You have  2 options both included SM ( wine, Champagne (by the glass) & Beer with lunch & dinner only)  + the Excursion credit  for excursions ONLY

Option 1 Cruise  with air included 

Option 2  Cruise with NO air

If you take O air transfers are included on the day of embarkation  & Disembarkation

If you want to fly in or stay  longer than sailing days  you pay a deviation fee  you can choose the flights & routing & O will try to get those

Suggest you check DIY  air  & compare  prices 

If you want BIZ  air  book your own

do the math & see what works best for YOU

I believe they offer about 2 days beyond without any deviation fee, but transfers not included.

I’ve talked to a cruise consultant and it appears the only staterooms available in B1 level are at the front on Deck 6. Looks like it’s right over what is labeled as theatre and dance floor. Ooops! That sounds like it could be noisy and we are early to bed early to rise. Anyone have any experience with those locations.