Just off the first two Ascent cruises in the Retreat

RMac713

19 minutes ago, RichYak said:

They're completely different functions. Butlers work for the Retreat and service guests, Retreat Hosts work for Housekeeping and service staterooms.

Ok, this makes sense.  So it's a degraded service in terms of expectation around experience.  Like our butler would sometimes just randomly deliver a few beers in an ice bucket ( never asked, he just did ).  A host would not think to do that.

• Like 1

Retreat Hosts are cabin attendants. Nothing more, nothing less. As mentioned, they work for Housekeeping. We met our "host's" housekeeping supervisor On EQ in Oct. Also, our last butler is now a supervisor in housekeeping. We saw and spoke with her several times on that same EQ cruise. She is happy she till has a job. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Shiba_Lover said:

Like our butler would sometimes just randomly deliver a few beers in an ice bucket ( never asked, he just did ).  A host would not think to do that.

I doubt that a host would be permitted to perform that function even if they thought of it or were asked to do it.

First. I'll be on the Ascent Maiden in an Aqua Sky Suite, and looking forward to it!

As for services in The Retreat and Sky Suites - the "problem" really is naming. Celebrity gives all of their suites fancy sounding names. But, if you look at what Royal does, you'll see something that explains all of this. On Royal, a cabin the size of 1.5 cabins is called a "Junior Suite." On Celebrity, it's a "Sky Suite." It should come as no surprise that a "Junior" suite gets "Junior" amenities. On Royal, Junior Suites only get to use the suite restaurant for dinner. The larger ones get all their meals there. Once you're paying for a suite the size of two "regular" cabins you get twice as much "stuff." (On Celebrity, a Celebrity Suite" is the size of two cabins, a Royal Suite is the size of 3, and a Penthouse is the size of 4.)

For longer than other lines, Celebrity gave their "Junior" suites the full suite experience. But they eventually became a victim of their own success. Whenever Celebrity has added a "premium" category, it has been a hit. Remember, the M class ships didn't have Aqua Class. That was such a big success that they carved up the main dining rooms, and added Blue as they "Solsticized" the M-Class.

That was such a big success that en Celebrity had unhappy suite guests on their hands. They were eating in the MDR with the Peasants while AQ got their own restaurant. They tried to accommodate suites in Blu, but it was a mess (especially on Reflection, where they added AQ cabins, but didn't expand Blu.) So, they carved up the dining rooms again and created Luminae for suites (largely because Suite guests wanted to eat at Blu!), it was a huge success. So they went a step further, and made Michael's a dedicated space for Suite guests. Also a huge success. People would pay extra for the suite perks.

So, when Edge came along, they went a step further - and added a suite pool deck into the mix. And added a LOT more suites. An even bigger success, so when Beyond (and Ascent) were built, they added even more suites. I did 2 Suite cruises in a short period of time, one on Infinity and another on Beyond. The difference in the size of Luminae is astonishing. On Infinity it is an intimate space. On Beyond, it is the size of one of the main dining rooms - but with a lot more windows.

They used to be able to offer service to all of the suites, because the same people serving the top suites could serve all the suites. But, now its a different story. Suites aren't exclusive, at all. The top ones are, but Sky Suites... are not. There are a LOT of them, which changes the whole economic model of suites, or at least the "Junior" suites. (Or, in the case of the Aqua Sky Suite I'll be in starting Sunday, the Junior Suites... with Cheese)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, buncosquad said:

Celebrity has duped people to buy into those rooms by adding the "suite" word in the name.

I, for one would gladly pay for the space of the Sky "suite" and forego the amenities of the Retreat...assuming the price was commiserate with dropping such amenities.  Recently, Celebrity dropped gratuities, OBC, and butler service but kept prices the same.  Go figure... 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I, for one would gladly pay for the space of the Sky "suite" and forego the amenities of the Retreat...assuming the price was commiserate with dropping such amenities.  Recently, Celebrity dropped gratuities, OBC, and butler service but kept prices the same.  Go figure... 

I'm on the side of everyone here.

All I'm stating is that Celebrity is offering something that has a nice sounding name, but is seemingly that in name only.

I've only tried their Edge class ships. I'd either move down to AQ or move up to at least an EV. I'm not so sure about those RS cabins, as they are under those terrible overhangs. That applies equally to their PH, I suppose. I also insist on a balcony hot tub to avoid crowds even on the Retreat deck. Plus, whatever lounger I want is always free.

For me, that only leaves IC and EV. Basically, Celebrity is forcing me to enjoy myself, and I'm not sure how that makes me feel. 🫠

Edited by buncosquad

29 minutes ago, buncosquad said:

I'm on the side of everyone here.

So sorry, I wasn't meaning to imply that you weren't...I will admit that it has taken me a while to come around to your point.  I have been fixated on Celebrity pulling the rug on what they advertised.  But after spending 7 nights on Ascent last week I realized that I really like the size of the Sky suite but am nowhere near enamored by the Retreat or Luminae.  I feel like I could easily let those go but boy oh boy did we love the space in the Sky suite!...especially with the bed facing the ocean.  So nice! 

Just now, Georgia_Peaches said:

So sorry, I wasn't meaning to imply that you weren't...I will admit that it has taken me a while to come around to your point.  I have been fixated on Celebrity pulling the rug on what they advertised.  But after spending 7 nights on Ascent last week I realized that I really like the size of the Sky suite but am nowhere near enamored by the Retreat or Luminae.  I feel like I could easily let those go but boy oh boy did we love the space in the Sky suite!...especially with the bed facing the ocean.  So nice! 

They should make those AQ. Seriously. Then reduce the price accordingly. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, buncosquad said:

They should make those AQ. Seriously. Then reduce the price accordingly. 

Blu could not accommodate the roughly 300 passengers if SS were changed to Aqua.  Luminae, the Lounge and the Retreat Sun Deck would be ghost towns with about 60-80 passengers in the remaining Suites.  

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

The added space has always been one of our main attractions to the Sky Suite, or to the Grand Suite or Owners Suite on Royal. 

We spend time there and don’t want to do the “one-at-a-time-sideways-shuffle” past the bed. 

Unfortunately, X has raised their prices far beyond the value received for the SS’s. Frankly, even if the butler situation was not changed, and the gratuities were still included and the OBC was still there, we would not pay the current pricing.

mac_tlc

• Like 1