Missing Jacques on Vista?

Acrusa

2 minutes ago, rbtan said:

Please explain what that is.

2 minutes ago, rbtan said:

Please explain what that is.

Fil Rouge is the French restaurant on the new Explora Journeys cruise ship that was simply spectacular. Of all our cruises includibg O SS  S  and there are many others EJ had the best food of all 

The culinary head Ftanck Farranger was formerly with O and SS

Happy cruising we sail on Vista in January 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Waltershipman said:

The culinary head Ftanck Farranger was formerly with O and SS

I assume your fingers merely slipped on the keyboard, as it's Franck Garranger.  When he was in charge at O, the cruise line could truly claim to offer "the finest cuisine at sea."  His famous mashed potatoes were simply the best!

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

Yes you are absolutely right. 
Having been married, still happily, for just over 54 years, I understand exactly what you’re saying.

Travel safely and enjoy!

22 minutes ago, redraider1966 said:

I assume your fingers merely slipped on the keyboard, as it's Franck Garranger.  When he was in charge at O, the cruise line could truly claim to offer "the finest cuisine at sea."  His famous mashed potatoes were simply the best!

You are correctFranck

His mash potatoes were in most venues on E J

Jacques is amazing. I will miss it on my Vista cruise. The Embers menu looks ok. There are many choices. It reminds me of a diner menu. Living in New Jersey, we eat at diners regularly.  There are no restaurants in my area that serve French food.  That makes eating at Jacques a real treat. When traveling, I enjoy eating foods that I don’t get at home.

• Like 3

My understanding is that replacing Jacques with Embers has nothing to do with people’s preferences or changing the demographics. It’s all about saving a lot of money on food cost and preparation, and service when compared one to another. We’ll be on Riviera next but will miss Jacques when we cruise on Vista in 2025.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Jacques is amazing. I will miss it on my Vista cruise. The Embers menu looks ok. There are many choices. It reminds me of a diner menu. Living in New Jersey, we eat at diners regularly.  There are no restaurants in my area that serve French food.  That makes eating at Jacques a real treat. When traveling, I enjoy eating foods that I don’t get at home.

A treat just for you 🙂

Jacques pistachio creme brulee.
image.thumb.png.50b122ca6a078dd030be9c00db306e49.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, osandomir said:

My understanding is that replacing Jacques with Embers has nothing to do with people’s preferences or changing the demographics. It’s all about saving a lot of money on food cost and preparation, and service when compared one to another. We’ll be on Riviera next but will miss Jacques when we cruise on Vista in 2025.

I love Jacques, too, and would love to see it on other O ships, but on what basis or what facts is your understanding that Embers has nothing to do with people’s preferences or changing demographics? 

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

I love Jacques, too, and would love to see it on other O ships, but on what basis or what facts is your understanding that Embers has nothing to do with people’s preferences or changing demographics? 

It’s not about what we like or don’t like. Of cause, you are entitled to your own opinion and I just expressed mine. No, I don’t have facts because I’m not in Oceania management. I think so based on my understanding of the price difference to have a dinner in the land based nice French restaurant compare to the establishment serving Modern California flavoured bistro style food here where we live. It cost more to serve Baked Sea Bass Fillet than Fish and Chips on the Ember menu.

Edited by osandomir
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Redtravel said:

If you get to NYC on occasion, check out Orsay.Orsay is a very nice(though not cheap) French Brasserie style rest. My spouse is from NJ.It's not always easy getting "Taylor Ham" up here in NH. LOL

Edited by rbtan
additions

I’ve been following this topic with some interest since we’re sailing on the Vista in late January 2024 (next month!) and I won’t miss Jacques, for the simple reason I’ve never been to Jacques. I’m going to give Ember a fair shot. There are several less casual restaurants on board and I’ll try all them too. Looking forward to our cruise! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

I’ve been following this topic with some interest since we’re sailing on the Vista in late January 2024 (next month!) and I won’t miss Jacques, for the simple reason I’ve never been to Jacques. I’m going to give Ember a fair shot. There are several less casual restaurants on board and I’ll try all them too. Looking forward to our cruise! 

Me too we will be on board January 31 how bout you 

1 hour ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

Really check out Terrace some nights. The menu is surprisingly good at times. Most lines the "buffet" can be really boring. Not on O.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

and I won’t miss Jacques, for the simple reason I’ve never been to Jacques. I

Ok, but since you don't know what you're missing then you really can't have an opinion on this subject. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

And I don’t have an opinion. Whether Ember is better than Jacques is an opinion and I don’t have an opinion whether Ember is better or not. The topic question is whether we’ll miss Jacques. Many, it seems, will miss it, but I won’t, and many others who’ve never experienced it won’t miss it either. “I don’t know what I’m missing.” Yes, and that’s my point. It’s part of the evolution of the Oceania brand, just like when they added Jacques. 

Edited by CruiserFromMaine
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, rbtan said:

Really check out Terrace some nights. The menu is surprisingly good at times. Most lines the "buffet" can be really boring. Not on O.

I totally agree. We actually ate the majority of our dinner there and no reason other than the food was so good.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, clo said:

I totally agree. We actually ate the majority of our dinner there and no reason other than the food was so good.

PS: I hate the term "foodie" so let's just say we're really into food and it drives our travel 🙂

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, clo said:

PS: I hate the term "foodie" so let's just say we're really into food and it drives our travel 🙂

Could be worse..We could be called competitive eaters.Culinary inclined works for us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

And I don’t have an opinion. Whether Ember is better than Jacques is an opinion and I don’t have an opinion whether Ember is better or not. The topic question is whether we’ll miss Jacques. Many, it seems, will miss it, but I won’t, and many others who’ve never experienced it won’t miss it either. “I don’t know what I’m missing.” Yes, and that’s my point. It’s part of the evolution of the Oceania brand, just like when they added Jacques. 

We love Jacques but are not upset that it is not on Vista/Allura. As I said in a past post, Oceania is probably trying new adventures & that's fine. Cunard had Todd English for several years & pax eventually got bored.

• Like 4