Why don't I have a Love Affair with Melbourne

There is so much I love about Melbourne, I don't understand why I don't have a love affair with Melbourne. 

Just for starters-

Aust Open Tennis

Live theatre (Big and little some of the best shows I saw first in Melbourne)

Art Galleries

Museums

Laneways 

Shops

Wonderful parks and gardens with big trees

Free trams

Strange Traffic rules where you pull over to left lane to turn right

Food (multicultural and coffee)

Markets

Queen Victoria Markets which I love in( inner city.  (Our Govt pulled ours down.)

Maybe it is because Melbourne people are more reserved so appear less friendly.

• Like 2

What surprises me is Sydney does not have an equivalent to the QV market.

The QV market is amazing, almost like markets in some Europe cities.

Not as good as QV market, but not bad is the South Melbourne Market.

Two great markets there, and we in Brisbane (& Sydney) can't even get a halfway decent one.

29 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

What surprises me is Sydney does not have an equivalent to the QV market.

The QV market is amazing, almost like markets in some Europe cities.

Not as good as QV market, but not bad is the South Melbourne Market.

Two great markets there, and we in Brisbane (& Sydney) can't even get a halfway decent one.

THAT is true.

Otherwise, Sydney is fabulous.

• Haha 1

Sydney has the Opera House which is a wonderful venue for opera (not so keen on the concert hall barn), and we go there for that a few times a year, but for a weekend away, Melbourne is usually the one. Maybe as we originally came from there but there are no real family left there but we find it easier to navigate and mostly stay in the CBD which is better than Sydney IMO.

Embarking from Melbourne is nowhere near as convenient as the OPT though.

Edited by Aussieflyer
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

Sydney has the Opera House which is a wonderful venue for opera (not so keen on the concert hall barn), and we go theere for that a few times a year, but for a weekend away, Melbourne is usually the one. Maybe as we originally came from there but there are no real family left there but we find it easier to navigate and mostly stay in the CBD which is better than Sydney IMO.

I have embarked in Melbourne on the ferry to Tassie and disembarked on the return.  I'll be disembarking from a cruise ship in January.n

Note in Peak Season book return ferry.  My daughter couldn't get a booking for a fortnight.  I was lucky I could get a refund on her ticket to Aust Open because it was sold out.

57 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

Sydney has the Opera House which is a wonderful venue for opera (not so keen on the concert hall barn), and we go there for that a few times a year, but for a weekend away, Melbourne is usually the one. Maybe as we originally came from there but there are no real family left there but we find it easier to navigate and mostly stay in the CBD which is better than Sydney IMO.

Convenient for who? It's very convenient for me. 20 minute cab ride from home; cab drives onto pier and driver takes my case out of the boot so it goes straight into the hands of the luggage handlers; into the lift and up to check in! Up to have lunch on the ship and can have a drink afterwards gazing along the beach towards Sandringham.

Don't have to go through CBD traffic to get there either. I could take the 109 tram straight from home but don't fancy wrangling a suitcase on the tram.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Aussieflyer said:

Melbourne's State Theatre is a wonderful venue for opera. We have the Elisabeth Murdoch hall (Melbourne Recital Centre) for other quality musical performances - the acoustics are exceptionally good apparently (not just my opinion).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Melbourne's State Theatre is a wonderful venue for opera. We have the Elisabeth Murdoch hall (Melbourne Recital Centre) for other quality musical performances - the acoustics are exceptionally good apparently (not just my opinion).

What about the Theatre & spire, and the Concert Hall, both supposedly world class venues.

I'm a bit biased, as I was a project manager on the construction of them.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

What about the Theatre & spire, and the Concert Hall, both supposedly world class venues.

Now inside the Arts Centre we have the Australian Music Vault. A permanent museum of the Aus Rock industry.

I think we in Australia a very lucky to not only having 2 great cities but also the wonderful natural features and lifestyle to enjoy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Convenient for who? It's very convenient for me. 20 minute cab ride from home; cab drives onto pier and driver takes my case out of the boot so it goes straight into the hands of the luggage handlers; into the lift and up to check in! Up to have lunch on the ship and can have a drink afterwards gazing along the beach towards Sandringham.

Don't have to go through CBD traffic to get there either. I could take the 109 tram straight from home but don't fancy wrangling a suitcase on the tram.

True for you but I am from CBR and when cruising from OPT always go the day before and stay close to CQ - so more convenient for me. Obviously not for you. When embarking from MEL usually take the tram from the city (stay in the CBD) but then it is a bit of a hike from the end of the line to the pier. Taxi would make it easier.🙂

9 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

There is so much I love about Melbourne, I don't understand why I don't have a love affair with Melbourne. 

Just for starters-

Aust Open Tennis

Live theatre (Big and little some of the best shows I saw first in Melbourne)

Art Galleries

Museums

Laneways 

Shops

Wonderful parks and gardens with big trees

Free trams

Strange Traffic rules where you pull over to left lane to turn right

Food (multicultural and coffee)

Markets

Queen Victoria Markets which I love in( inner city.  (Our Govt pulled ours down.)

Maybe it is because Melbourne people are more reserved so appear less friendly.

I think the problem is that even though these are good they are nothing so special when compared to the rest of the world (especially the coffee) yet the people still act put out if you dont agree with them when they carry on about it all.

2 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

The Theatre is the State Theatre and the Concert Hall is now called Hamer Hall, named after former Victorian Premier Sir Rupert Hamer who supported the building of the Arts Centre. Yes and they are world class venues, hosting many international performances each year.

19 minutes ago, bretts173 said:

I think the problem is that even though these are good they are nothing so special when compared to the rest of the world (especially the coffee) yet the people still act put out if you dont agree with them when they carry on about it all.

Actually the coffee is regarded worldwide as one of the best anywhere in the world.

The Royal Exhibition Building is listed as World Heritage by UNESCO along with the Sydney Opera House.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Like all our cities, Melbourne has great attractions. I have visited often, but like every other city, would find it hard to live there.

Oh I could live in Melbourne on a tram line.  I visit a Jewish area, Glicks Bakery Balaclava where i stock up i love going there on a FRIDAY, when locals are preparing for the weekend. I love how it is a tram ride to St Kilda, where there is an old bakery shop which sells delicious cakes.  i often have breakfast there.

It reminds me of NY and Brook

Have always loved Melbourne, used to go there every year for AO.  However lately I haven’t felt safe at night in the city area, so many homeless people, some quite aggressive.  I used to walk home from AO at all hours of the night, would not do that now

38 minutes ago, possum52 said:

The Theatre is the State Theatre and the Concert Hall is now called Hamer Hall, named after former Victorian Premier Sir Rupert Hamer who supported the building of the Arts Centre. Yes and they are world class venues, hosting many international performances each year.

The State Theatre is the main theatre of the spire, the second is the Playhouse.

Making up the Theatres & Spire building, there are some smaller spaces as well.

The main stage (State Theatre) is a marvellous piece of theatre equipment, the whole stage can be raised and rolled off into one wing, and another complete stage rolled in from the other side, or one from the rear wing. Makes for very quick stage changes. The one just removed is rapidly demounted an new scenes prepared.

23 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Oh I could live in Melbourne on a tram line.  I visit a Jewish area, Glicks Bakery Balaclava where i stock up i love going there on a FRIDAY, when locals are preparing for the weekend. I love how it is a tram ride to St Kilda, where there is an old bakery shop which sells delicious cakes.  i often have breakfast there.

It reminds me of NY and Brook

The sort of stuff that is nice to visit. We have friends in Abbotsford and near Williamstown, and there is always something different to do when we are down that way. It isn't about Melbourne, but about cities. I live 100 metres from a train station, yet have the old 1/4 acre block, plus plenty of space and privacy from the neighbours. I have a 2 minute drive to my weekly shop, where I can always get a park. Parking is free, with no meters or private parking stations and I have no tolls on my roads. Life is a cog slower, and I like it that way.

I love visiting cities but am happy to live in boring suburbia.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, arxcards said:

The sort of stuff that is nice to visit. We have friends in Abbotsford and near Williamstown, and there is always something different to do when we are down that way. It isn't about Melbourne, but about cities. I live 100 metres from a train station, yet have the old 1/4 acre block, plus plenty of space and privacy from the neighbours. I have a 2 minute drive to my weekly shop, where I can always get a park. Parking is free, with no meters or private parking stations and I have no tolls on my roads. Life is a cog slower, and I like it that way.

Hear hear fully support that, we live in a part of Brisbane that's like a quiet little village, about as far out of Brisbane you can get and still be Brisbane. Suits us very well.

Oh by the way Brisbane council area is nearly the same size as greater Melbourne. So we're a fair way out.

Edited by Ozwoody

2 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

Hear hear fully support that, we live in a part of Brisbane that's like a quiet little village, about as far out of Brisbane you can get and still be Brisbane. Suits us very well.

Oh by the way Brisbane council area is nearly the same size as greater Melbourne. So we're a fair way out.

At one stage Brisbane used to be the largest city in the World in area.  I can't remember who superseded us.  

12 hours ago, arxcards said:

Yep, same.

Although I live in country town, population of  23 000, and 350 km from nearest city. 

I like visiting cities but I don't want to live in one. 

Melbourne has many great attractions and events and there is always something new opening up to enjoy. The next thing on my to do list is to go out onto the Dome Promenade of the Exhibition Building, opened up in recent times. In earlier days I sat uni exams there and went to a few expos. They restored it and its wonderful place to attend the annual Garden Show that has found a home there. Yes, a UNESCO site and home of our first parliament.

I live in the outer east, a lovely green area close to attractions, nice bush walks and all the essentials. My street has a WeChat group and a street Xmas party. Why would I live anywhere else?

Now the downside ..........for me its the weather! I can cope with 4 seasons in one day but in winter with grey skies, drizzle and cold that goes all the way to the bone and I tend to suffer from SAD, Qld looks rather good and I try to get away for a while in winter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yaya_in_Oz said:

Yes, a UNESCO site and home of our first parliament.

Prior to this, discussions were held on a property in Alphington, which later became the La Trobe Golf Course. In the 1960's amid much protest by the community, they tore down the original beautiful Victorian building to make way for "progress". We are lucky that the Exhibition Building did not suffer a similar fate. In 1948 there was only one vote between demolish and keep.

• Like 1