Elevated wine level

zitsky

I googled to see what you were talking about.  It is referencing wines in the $25 per glass range.  The problem that I see is that on the current menus there are very few of the $25 per glass wines.

While I would consider paying more for a 3rd tier they would have to have more wines on the menu to be worthwhile.  For now I will just pay the upcharge.

I see none of the Elevated wines for my cruise.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

Just now, NMTraveller said:

I googled to see what you were talking about.  It is referencing wines in the $25 per glass range.  The problem that I see is that on the current menus there are very few of the $25 per glass wines.

While I would consider paying more for a 3rd tier they would have to have more wines on the menu to be worthwhile.  For now I will just pay the upcharge.

I think Gruet is in the Elevate package.  😂

• Haha 1

I'm all about quality over quantity, so generally speaking I'd be interested in a higher tier (assuming that there is a high degree of correlation between quality and pricing...which ain't always true).  However given the lack of availability of many premium level wines/bourbons on our past 3 cruises, I'd be loath to fork over more money without some sort of 'guarantee' (as if!) of availability.  In the absence of this, I've done the same as @NMTraveller and just paid the incremental amount.  That way I only pay it IF they have it and IF I want it. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

I'm all about quality over quantity, so generally speaking I'd be interested in a higher tier (assuming that there is a high degree of correlation between quality and pricing...which ain't always true).  However given the lack of availability of many premium level wines/bourbons on our past 3 cruises, I'd be loath to fork over more money without some sort of 'guarantee' (as if!) of availability.  In the absence of this, I've done the same as @NMTraveller and just paid the incremental amount.  That way I only pay it IF they have it and IF I want it. 

I was thinking exactly the same. I was also contemplating taking a couple of bottles on board next cruise rather than pay the silly money charged by the bottle when you have already paid for a premium drinks package.

The funny thing is I am not a faddy wine drinker. Going back a few years on the premium package you could guarantee some perfectly adequate choices but that no longer seems to be the case…some cruises seeming more limited than others…

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

Yes, quite usual to be served Prosecco ( Classic package) instead of Champagne ( Premium package. 
This has been going on for years.

I will freely admit that my palate is not attuned to the flavors that I read about in various tasting notes for various wines.  However, I know what I like for a general taste in wine and normally I am able to find it through various recommendations of the sommeliers onboard.  We have sailed exclusively in suites since the restart and thus have had benefit of the Premium Beverage Package so finding a wine that suite my taste has not been that much of a challenge. 

I must say our best experience was on a Reflection B2B in 2021 when our Sommelier, Shiraz, set a very high bar.  I told him the first evening in Luminae that we were onboard for the next 14 days and that I preferred red wine and unless I asked specifically not to serve me the same wine twice.  I had a very good time enjoying a large cross section of the red wines onboard.  In my mind, that is the best reason to have the premium package - get to try a wide variety of choices without worry. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chemmo said:

I was thinking exactly the same. I was also contemplating taking a couple of bottles on board next cruise rather than pay the silly money charged by the bottle when you have already paid for a premium drinks package.

The funny thing is I am not a faddy wine drinker. Going back a few years on the premium package you could guarantee some perfectly adequate choices but that no longer seems to be the case…some cruises seeming more limited than others…

Interestingly, once you get over a certain threshold, probably $75 and definitely $100 a bottle, it's really not silly money. I did a few lookups on bottles they were selling onboard Equinox, and a couple of them were very near retail, and none were in the 2-3X retail that's normal in the US. And if you have the premium package, you get I believe a 20% bottle discount, so for some wines you could be at or below US retail. A couple of sommeliers stated with the the duty free nature of the ship they didn't need to do those markups, although it's surprising in some ways they don't.

I did notice on Equinox that almost all of the wines by the glass in the premium package were in the same flavor profile. High alcohol/high fruit/high oak Cabernet sauvignon, butter and oak Chardonnay, and grapefruit Sauvignon blanc. When we cruised about 16 months or so ago, there was a better selection of "other reds and whites" that were very good. And the sommeliers seemed to know those other wines better then. Or I'm getting old and remembering good old days that really weren't...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Yes, quite usual to be served Prosecco ( Classic package) instead of Champagne ( Premium package. 
This has been going on for years.

Look at the retail cost of the wine sold as premium. Very few champagnes hit that price point. I've never had them substitute Cava or Prosecco when ordering a specific Champagne. For the people on their 14th glass for the evening that slur our "I want champagne!" to the bartender, those people may get whatever bottles of bubbles is closest. 

24 minutes ago, markeb said:

Interestingly, once you get over a certain threshold, probably $75 and definitely $100 a bottle, it's really not silly money. I did a few lookups on bottles they were selling onboard Equinox, and a couple of them were very near retail, and none were in the 2-3X retail that's normal in the US. And if you have the premium package, you get I believe a 20% bottle discount, so for some wines you could be at or below US retail. A couple of sommeliers stated with the the duty free nature of the ship they didn't need to do those markups, although it's surprising in some ways they don't.

I did notice on Equinox that almost all of the wines by the glass in the premium package were in the same flavor profile. High alcohol/high fruit/high oak Cabernet sauvignon, butter and oak Chardonnay, and grapefruit Sauvignon blanc. When we cruised about 16 months or so ago, there was a better selection of "other reds and whites" that were very good. And the sommeliers seemed to know those other wines better then. Or I'm getting old and remembering good old days that really weren't...

That's a pretty common pricing strategy. The more expensive the wine, the less the markup, unless it's a rare or vintage bottle (which Celebrity has very few of - if any) then you're paying a premium for access to the bottle which people may do. But assuming someone knows wine and wants a $125 retail bottle, they aren't likely to order it in a restaurant for $400. For $175? They may do it. For the middle shelf grocery store commercial wines that people assume are better because they're on the Premium package? Those are going to see the 200%-300% markup. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

But assuming someone knows wine and wants a $125 retail bottle, they aren't likely to order it in a restaurant for $400. For $175? They may do it. For the middle shelf grocery store commercial wines that people assume are better because they're on the Premium package? Those are going to see the 200%-300% markup. 

Yup, that's been my experience too.  I see top Champagnes on cruises at retail prices or retail +20%, while the bottles priced at $15-18/glass ($70-90/bt) are at that 200-300% mark up you mention.   I won't buy a DP or Cristal in a restaurant for $400-500/bt...but for $250, why not.

Then again, those are the types of bottles I'll likely bring on board, given I already own them so why pay any mark up above retail. My real issue with Celebrity is their by-the-bottle list tends towards off-vintages to keep pricing under control.  Personally I'd rather have a bottle from a lesser producer in a great vintage than from a great producer in an average vintage.  I'm sure others would disagree.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chemmo said:

Nice to see you, Mrs chemmo!  Yeah I started availing myself of X's BYO policy back in 2022 when I found it harder and harder to consistently find what I liked on board.  Bit of a hassle to lug it on the plane, but I've ALWAYS been happy drinking it on board.  And since DW and I are turning into lightweights, there is usually 1-2 glasses per bottle to share with the staff after dinner. (shhh....).   I need to work my way though my cellar somehow!🥂

1 hour ago, paulh84 said:

Look at the retail cost of the wine sold as premium. Very few champagnes hit that price point. I've never had them substitute Cava or Prosecco when ordering a specific Champagne. For the people on their 14th glass for the evening that slur our "I want champagne!" to the bartender, those people may get whatever bottles of bubbles is closest. 

That's a pretty common pricing strategy. The more expensive the wine, the less the markup, unless it's a rare or vintage bottle (which Celebrity has very few of - if any) then you're paying a premium for access to the bottle which people may do. But assuming someone knows wine and wants a $125 retail bottle, they aren't likely to order it in a restaurant for $400. For $175? They may do it. For the middle shelf grocery store commercial wines that people assume are better because they're on the Premium package? Those are going to see the 200%-300% markup. 

Yeah. Know a few folks in the business and you can’t mark up the higher end wines by 200-300%. Lower priced retail wines are generally a worse deal, on the ship or on land.