An effective way to deal with balcony smokers

HaveDogWillTravel

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Need anyone say more?IMG_3646.jpeg.2725f741315b25d584a9cb89e80bc525.jpeg.ab3c6ce847ac36d0f6857d3199edff6b.jpeg

Yea, I was just going to post something about this. Still hard to believe one of those Caribe suites was mine! And it's for that reason that I would be down to the passenger services desk quickly if someone was smoking near me on the balcony. 

• Like 4

I'm one of those evil smokers, and I always find myself apologizing for my smoke.  I let myself "air out" so I'm not nearly as pungent after smoking, especially if I have to take an elevator to where I need to go.  If I'm smoking on the promenade deck, I'll cup my cigarette and wont exhale if someone walks by.  I try my dangedest to be a considerate smoker.  And NEVER smoke on the balcony.   I've gone out before and made the reach for one on many occasions especially in the morning.  But I've never gone so far as to actually light up.   I know people who do.  I once travelled with family who were smokers and every night they were out on the balcony with the opaque bottle of beer as their receptacle.  Granted, they were family and I did not have the heart to call GS on them.  But I was just hoping people on the other balconies would report them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

9 hours ago, Thrak said:

Non-smokers can smell smokers even when they aren't smoking. The smell permeates their clothing and hair. They can't smell it because it's the normal way things smell to them. I smoked from age 17 to age 35 or so. I quit cold turkey 35 years ago (non-filtered Camels and it was not the first time I had "quit"). One of the very best things I have ever done.

Only a non-smoker would know that.

I used to ride on the back of our Harley & could smell if someone was smoking in the car in front of while riding riding along at 30-40 MPH, believe it or not.

I could pick them out every time.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

IIRC, marijuana is still illegal in the USA at the federal level. While the feds don't enforce this, it's still on the books. Then there's an issue with ships and the US's zero tolerance policy. I don't think it's used much any more but there was a time that if marijuana was found anywhere, and I mean anywhere on a ship, the vessel could be immediately impounded. I still think the cruise lines take this very seriously. If someone has more up-to-date information on this, I'd love to know.

I have sailed quite a bit since the restart and have seen scent dogs more times than I can count. At embarkation as we sit in the terminal,in ports as we get off and on. 
even edibles are not tolerated. It is definitely taken seriously. I witnessed security policing the promenade deck smoking area after pot was smelled wafting in from that area. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Thrak said:

Non-smokers can smell smokers even when they aren't smoking. The smell permeates their clothing and hair. They can't smell it because it's the normal way things smell to them. I smoked from age 17 to age 35 or so. I quit cold turkey 35 years ago (non-filtered Camels and it was not the first time I had "quit"). One of the very best things I have ever done.

Quitting when you did maybe saved your life. 👍💕

• Like 3

On 12/6/2023 at 6:00 PM, SargassoPirate said:

Need anyone say more?IMG_3646.jpeg.2725f741315b25d584a9cb89e80bc525.jpeg.ab3c6ce847ac36d0f6857d3199edff6b.jpeg

Wow! 😮 Is this for real?  What ship was this and when did it happen? (edited: never mind of which ship. . . just saw the name)

Edited by smwg