An effective way to deal with balcony smokers

HaveDogWillTravel

My first night on the Sapphire Dec 1, 2023 I noticed the smell of cigarette smoke on my Emerald deck mini. The next morning as I was leaning on the railing watching the sea my neighbor was doing the same. Usually pleasantries followed. I casually mentioned that I had smelled cig smoke the night before and by any chance did they?  The gentleman immediately replied that no they hadn’t. 

I smelled it again in the ensuing 4 days occasionally but didn’t say or do anything. It wasn’t a huge issue and occurs only in the morning and late at night.  This is 34 days for me in this cabin and they leave on the 19th. I’m thinking and weighing my options. 

After an early night tonight (asllep by 8 pm) I woke up at 1am and decided to sit on the balcony. I could hear my neighbors out on theirs and not only could I smell the smoke I could see it.  Without hesitation I said “oh my God I smell smoke!  Do you?  Let’s both call Guest services right now and report it! ‘ My neighbor said no he didn’t smell smoke, there’s no smoke here. And immediately the cigarettes went out and now I have my balcony free of toxic fumes. 

Your mileage may vary. I will discuss this with my room steward tomorrow now that I’m certain. Of course asking it to be brought to the room supervisor’s attention. And as a courtesy I’ll ask that the room division manager be notified. I believe the issue is solved and I’m only doing an fyi up the chain of command as a back up in case it becomes problematic. 

A short note about the Sapphire right now.   The service, food and ship have been amazing. The wine selection has been diverse & plentiful. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

My first night on the Sapphire Dec 1, 2023 I noticed the smell of cigarette smoke on my Emerald deck mini. The next morning as I was leaning on the railing watching the sea my neighbor was doing the same. Usually pleasantries followed. I casually mentioned that I had smelled cig smoke the night before and by any chance did they?  The gentleman immediately replied that no they hadn’t. 

I smelled it again in the ensuing 4 days occasionally but didn’t say or do anything. It wasn’t a huge issue and occurs only in the morning and late at night.  This is 34 days for me in this cabin and they leave on the 19th. I’m thinking and weighing my options. 

After an early night tonight (asllep by 8 pm) I woke up at 1am and decided to sit on the balcony. I could hear my neighbors out on theirs and not only could I smell the smoke I could see it.  Without hesitation I said “oh my God I smell smoke!  Do you?  Let’s both call Guest services right now and report it! ‘ My neighbor said no he didn’t smell smoke, there’s no smoke here. And immediately the cigarettes went out and now I have my balcony free of toxic fumes. 

Your mileage may vary. I will discuss this with my room steward tomorrow now that I’m certain. Of course asking it to be brought to the room supervisor’s attention. And as a courtesy I’ll ask that the room division manager be notified. I believe the issue is solved and I’m only doing an fyi up the chain of command as a back up in case it becomes problematic. 

A short note about the Sapphire right now.   The service, food and ship have been amazing. The wine selection has been diverse & plentiful. 

I would have to report it, if it now continues.  Not only toxic but dangerous.  
I hope it ceases very soon for you.

Keep us posted.

• Like 2

We had an almost similar situation a while back, which the steward definitely knew about. (he had warned them numerous times) The end result was that they were fined on order to make them stop.

Perhaps when you saw the smoke you should have announced, "I'm calling guest services, there's a fire! "

Good luck.

7 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I said “oh my God I smell smoke!  Do you?  Let’s both call Guest services right now and report it! ‘

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Perhaps when you saw the smoke you should have announced, "I'm calling guest services, there's a fire! "

I said something similar. It worked. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm very straightforward when dealing with balcony smokers. Firm but kind has worked for me when confronting offenders. "Please stop smoking on your balcony; it is unpleasant for me to smell your smoke, and it's a safety hazard. I don't want to inform guest services, but I will if you don't stop."

• Like 7

As the years progress we find that there are less offenders smoking on the balconies then years ago. Most people have gotten the word by now but occasionally they be someone who thinks no one around them will notice the smell or the cloud of smoke from e-cigarettes. 

Interesting article from Princess website. I’m surprised they allowed “personal vaporizers” etc. (last sentence) in stateroom. 

Outdoor smoking areas are clearly posted throughout the vessel. Smoking is prohibited in Guest staterooms and on balconies. Violations to the onboard smoking policy will result in a $250 cleaning fee for each occurrence, which will be charged to Your stateroom account. Repeated violations may result in You being disembarked prior to the end of the Cruise without any refund and at Your cost. The use of electronic cigarettes, personal vaporizers, or electronic nicotine delivery systems is allowed within the confines of the Guest's stateroom (balcony not included) and within designated smoking areas only.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

We are also presently in a (starboard) mid ship mini on Sapphire. 
Thus far, no neighbors have been smoking. Should one appear, we will give your solution a try and report back. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dog said:

I would just report it to GS & cabin steward.

Not everyone will respond as OP’s neighbours have.

I think in general you are right. In this case we were both leaning over our balcony watching the sea on that first sea day and while discussing the usually pleasantries I casually asked if they had smelled smoke, as at that time, I really wasn’t sure of where it had come from. So it established a bit of we are in it together to find the source. 

I spoke to my steward who will be looking for the butts in soda cans and so on. He will inform his supervisor.  He implored me to call guest services no matter the time as it is a safety issue. 

I am really hoping it doesn’t happen again. 

And yes these emerald deck minis are the best. It’s a shame you can’t straight up book them and choose your cabin anymore. As an entry level ME they are guarantees only now. I was able to book and choose this cabin just before that change went into effect. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

It’s a shame you can’t straight up book them and choose your cabin anymore. As an entry level ME they are guarantees only now. I was able to book and choose this cabin just before that change went into effect. 

I must’ve missed this. Can you elaborate?

No one pays for a smoking/vaping balcony, so I'll narc anyone out, no matter what they are smoking or vaping. We've only had to report a cigarette smoker one time (not on Princess) and our complaint was handled immediately by security with a follow up phone call from GS. 

• Like 4

We had both cigarette and marijuana smoke on our cruise last April on Royal Princess. Never able to nail down where it came from or would have definitely reported it.

Note: Not on a cruise ship but once while staying in a Holiday Inn Express on a work trip there was a room that was reported (not by me) for smoking. The people in the room denied they had been smoking even though, when they opened the door, cigarette smoke drifted out into the face of the staff person who had responded to the incident. Not only were they fined $250 but were also kicked out of the hotel and were not refunded for the cost of the stay. People are idiots. The hotel has you sign that you understand and agree to the "no smoking" terms. I wish Princess would be as firm.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MissP22 said:

occasionally they be someone who thinks no one around them will notice the smell or the cloud of smoke from e-cigarettes. 

Some (not all) smokers are convinced that no one can smell the smoke and everyone who says they are allergic to the smoke or it gives them a headache is lying. I've even had people say this to me -- that so-and-so isn't really allergic or that we're outside so no one can smell the smoke.

These stories have me worried that one of those people will be in the balcony next to us on our "trip of a lifetime" cruise. 😞

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

And yes these emerald deck minis are the best. It’s a shame you can’t straight up book them and choose your cabin anymore. As an entry level ME they are guarantees only now. I was able to book and choose this cabin just before that change went into effect. 

These are the best cabins!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Note: Not on a cruise ship but once while staying in a Holiday Inn Express on a work trip there was a room that was reported (not by me) for smoking. The people in the room denied they had been smoking even though, when they opened the door, cigarette smoke drifted out into the face of the staff person who had responded to the incident. Not only were they fined $250 but were also kicked out of the hotel and were not refunded for the cost of the stay. People are idiots. The hotel has you sign that you understand and agree to the "no smoking" terms. I wish Princess would be as firm.

At the Holiday Inn in Chicago, the room across from us lit up marijuana.  I reported it to security who came up, pounded on the door, and the people wouldn't answer.  He said there was nothing he could do if they didn't answer the door.  The smell was horrible.  At least they changed me rooms as I was working the next morning.

Inconsiderate turds.  I might let a morning cigarette go on a balcony if it's only a minute or two.  I would never let the disgusting smell of weed go for any amount of time.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MacMadame said:

Some (not all) smokers are convinced that no one can smell the smoke and everyone who says they are allergic to the smoke or it gives them a headache is lying. I've even had people say this to me -- that so-and-so isn't really allergic or that we're outside so no one can smell the smoke.

These stories have me worried that one of those people will be in the balcony next to us on our "trip of a lifetime" cruise. 😞

Non-smokers can smell smokers even when they aren't smoking. The smell permeates their clothing and hair. They can't smell it because it's the normal way things smell to them. I smoked from age 17 to age 35 or so. I quit cold turkey 35 years ago (non-filtered Camels and it was not the first time I had "quit"). One of the very best things I have ever done.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MacMadame said:

Please do not overly concern yourself with this worry. I’ll be celebrating my 300th day on Princess during this cruise (all in cabins with a balcony) and other than the post pandemic fiasco of closing the aft promenade deck so crew could use it as their smoking lounge (discontinued now thank god) the incidence of annoying balcony smokers has been a rare event for me. 

It is MUCH more likely that you will have a fabulous experience, especially if you go into it with positive attitude, a smile on your face and a bit of patience and grace. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Non-smokers can smell smokers even when they aren't smoking. The smell permeates their clothing and hair. They can't smell it because it's the normal way things smell to them. I smoked from age 17 to age 35 or so. I quit cold turkey 35 years ago (non-filtered Camels and it was not the first time I had "quit"). One of the very best things I have ever done.

True that.  I started smoking at 13, started trying to  quit at 16 and was finally successful at age 43. I’ve been smoke free 24 years now. 

• Like 9