Flying into LGR 1 day early for cruise out of NJ. .

volk904

We need to fly into LGR a day early.  My question is where to stay and best way to To NJ & Port we have a bunch of Hilton points so can stay anywhere. 

Is is better to stay in NYC and then Uber to port or better to go from LGR to A hotel in Newark for the night?  I know you can actually take a train from Peen station NYC to NJ pretty cheap  if we stay in the city.  Any suggestions? 

If you were going to stay in midtown Manhattan i would fly to LGA , lots of Hilton properties in midtown we stayed at the huge Hilton a few times walking distance to Rockefeller center and Broadway. We normally use Uber in the city.

1 hour ago, George C said:

If you were going to stay in midtown Manhattan i would fly to LGA , lots of Hilton properties in midtown we stayed at the huge Hilton a few times walking distance to Rockefeller center and Broadway. We normally use Uber in the city.

It is generally a good idea for an out-of-towner to stay in Manhattan - for a taste of the city, if getting in early enough to do/see something.  Otherwise it makes the most sense to fly into EWR and stay at/near the airport and then taxi/uber to Bayonne port the next day.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 1:10 AM, volk904 said:

We need to fly into LGA a day early. My question is where to stay and best way to To NJ & Port we have a bunch of Hilton points so can stay anywhere. 

Is is better to stay in NYC and then Uber to port or better to go from LGR to A hotel in Newark for the night?  I know you can actually take a train from Penn station NYC to NJ pretty cheap  if we stay in the city.  Any suggestions? 

Although LGA is not most proximate to the port in Bayonne, because you're staying the night before, that airport choice is not particularly critical. Your plan to arrive at LGA for a cruise departing from Bayonne the next day is just fine.

The critical element where you're rightly focused is determining a place to stay for the night before. There is no hotel immediately proximate to the port in Bayonne, so you would be best served with a hotel in-between LGA and Bayonne, and reasonable accessible to and from both. Midtown Manhattan clearly and best satisfies those criteria, though at a price: it is expensive, be it in dollars or in points. Second choice would be Jersey City or Hoboken. While you could stay the night in Newark, it is not as proximate to Bayonne as is Jersey City, so it would be a third choice.

Since you mentioned travel by train, I assume that you're amenable to public transportation use. Here are some general directions. Upon arrival at LGA, look for the bus stop for route Q70, also known as the "LaGuardia Link." It is a free shuttle from the airport terminals to the nearby subway station in Jackson Heights. Once at that subway station, you can travel on the "E," "F," "M," or "R" trains into midtown Manhattan. If you're staying the night in midtown Manhattan then one of these trains likely goes close the hotel chosen. If you've decide to stay the night in Jersey City then use the "F" train from Jackson Heights to 34th Street, then change at that location to a PATH subway train to Jersey City or Hoboken (there are several stations in Jersey City, one of which will likely be close to the hotel chosen).

While there are train stations in Bayonne, none of the stations are at the port itself, so you will need to travel by Uber (or other hired car) for at least part of the journey. Uber from Manhattan to the port in Bayonne is the most expensive option; Uber from Jersey City to the port in Bayonne is less expensive; and Uber within Bayonne, from the train station to the port, is least expensive. As noted above, there is a PATH subway train connecting Manhattan with Jersey City and Hoboken. There is also a New Jersey Transit light rail train connecting Jersey City and Hoboken with Bayonne.