Surcharges for drinks in Retreat Lounge

TrueCruiseaholic

5 minutes ago, TourDeCruise said:

The way I interpret it, what is stocked in Retreat will be included without a surcharge. May be Premium package only, and if we are lucky, some of the wines at $19 for which they would not surcharge us. If they have to bring it to Retreat per your request, you would be surcharged. This what I am interpreting from LHB's reply.

On the December 3rd Ascent Maiden Voyage, I requested and was served the J&H Selbach Reisling without an upcharge. Sometimes I was told it was not available. I looked at the bottle before they poured. Hope it stays that way that there is no upcharge for the Selbach Reisling.

Thanks, I would like that.

Shame on X for making this more complex than it need be.

BTW, if we do not communicate to a supplier/vendor whats wrong with the product they will never know.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 39august said:

I  have read  the Mer  Soleil is only to be sold by the bottle. It will be very interesting if you can get a glass at any price. 

I don't drink Mer Soleil; it's not my style of Chardonnay. So I hadn't paid any real attention to it. But I don't see it listed by the glass in any venue on Ascent's current sailing. 

I can survive on Tito’s dirty martinis and some Hennessy cognac , wife will be disappointed on no decoy or Mer Solell , last year we traded our champagne for two bottles of decoy and we bring two bottles of good wine , back in our royal suite in March again on Summit. Never know what policy celebrity has by then.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

My recommendation is to ask the server at point of order.  There should not be a surprise.    Simply asking is this covered under my *** Package?

yeah, I think they know by looking at card or running it thru the device. But to be honest, its not just complex  for us, its complex for the crew. The PDF immage I posted said little about this aspect, but I think most folks woudl think that if they signed up for prem the drinks and alcohol listed s/b no surcharge.

Mixed drinks are open to discussion, I guess.

Main thing is to remember to put Phone in airplane mode.

15 minutes ago, TourDeCruise said:

On the December 3rd Ascent Maiden Voyage, I requested and was served the J&H Selbach Reisling without an upcharge. Sometimes I was told it was not available. I looked at the bottle before they poured, and it was Selbach. Hope it stays that way that there is no upcharge for the Selbach Reisling.

On our last cruise my wife was served the Selbach by the glass although we were informed it was supposed to be by the bottle only and not to tell anyone. 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

On our last cruise my wife was served the Selbach by the glass although we were informed it was supposed to be by the bottle only and not to tell anyone. 

That’s funny but not really funny - on the Equinox in Oct I was told repeatedly that the Steel Chardonnay I was drinking as the last bottle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TourDeCruise said:

Was your cruise the December 10th Ascent cruise? And you will be on the January 8th Beyond cruise? We are heading up to Retreat right after boarding and putting luggage in cabin and see if they upcharge for Mer Soleil. If so, the Steel Chardonnay is good and on the Premium package and we have a few more wines that we like too on the Premium package without an upcharge.

Yes, it was and I will! Will try to meet up with you in the Lounge. I will have to go by the Muster Station and try to arrange our Specialty Dining first, though!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 39august said:

I  have read  the Mer  Soleil is only to be sold by the bottle. It will be very interesting if you can get a glass at any price. 

1 hour ago, markeb said:

I don't drink Mer Soleil; it's not my style of Chardonnay. So I hadn't paid any real attention to it. But I don't see it listed by the glass in any venue on Ascent's current sailing. 

They were happy to charge us $2.40 per person, per glass on our Ascent Maiden Voyage. 😁 We did not get surcharged for it in Retreat on embarkation day, which was the only time we had it there.

• Like 2

While we are not Suite cruisers, the increase for wines previously available in the premium package, still affects us also. 
I emailed  lhodgesbethge@celebrity.com this afternoon and received a personal phone call from her office just hours later. Of course they listen to you but no promises were made, only that they are taking our concerns seriously as they have received so much criticism about this.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Harborgirl246 said:

While we are not Suite cruisers, the increase for wines previously available in the premium package, still affects us also. 
I emailed  lhodgesbethge@celebrity.com this afternoon and received a personal phone call from her office just hours later. Of course they listen to you but no promises were made, only that they are taking our concerns seriously as they have received so much criticism about this.

I may be wrong but I think if you pay for the premium beverage package you assume vast majority of items are covered and if you’ve got the classic at least half should be covered JMHO!

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Harborgirl246 said:

Thanks for emailing her. I did the same and I hope everyone who has an issue with this does the same. It is bigger than just suite customers as it impacts all passengers. It is also bigger than just wine prices as the increases are also happening on many cocktails at the bars.  For those of us who purchased the premium drink package or had it included as an amenity it is kind of a slap in the face to raise prices like this. They could have picked a date in the future and raised prices on the premium package at that point to cover the added costs. Everyone who had purchased the premium package prior to that date would be granted the upgrade at no cost to them. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, High on the Seas said:

Thanks for emailing her. I did the same and I hope everyone who has an issue with this does the same. It is bigger than just suite customers as it impacts all passengers. It is also bigger than just wine prices as the increases are also happening on many cocktails at the bars.  For those of us who purchased the premium drink package or had it included as an amenity it is kind of a slap in the face to raise prices like this. They could have picked a date in the future and raised prices on the premium package at that point to cover the added costs. Everyone who had purchased the premium package prior to that date would be granted the upgrade at no cost to them. 

They have dropped the price of the Classic & Premium packages and are running frequent flash sales taking the price of the premium in range of $60-70.

Picking a date is tricky.  We are taking a cruise in April that was booked 30 months before sailing and have the Premium package so keeping track of who is or isn’t grandfather is probably beyond the IT department’s ability. 

5 minutes ago, jelayne said:

They have dropped the price of the Classic & Premium packages and are running frequent flash sales taking the price of the premium in range of $60-70.

Picking a date is tricky.  We are taking a cruise in April that was booked 30 months before sailing and have the Premium package so keeping track of who is or isn’t grandfather is probably beyond the IT department’s ability. 

I don’t think it’s that hard. Instead of you paying an upcharge they put a price on the drink package to cover a drink or wine at $19, $21, $25 or whatever maximum they want. That covers their increased costs going forward assuming that is their goal. You paid for a premium package. That is reflected on your seapass card. Bar staff only know you have premium package so you don’t get charged extra no matter when you purchased the package. If you start say on January 1 everyone purchasing then knows the new pricing and buys into the cost. Previous customers don’t pay anymore than originally agreed to. No IT required to track when and how much you paid. And these up charges disappear. 

• Like 2

The problem with asking others what the price is and what's available is that it is a moving target. We were on Beyond in March and the wine was different at every bar and the Retreat. It was the same with Bourbon.  Sometimes I could get Buffalo Trace, occasionally Angel's Envy and sometimes neither.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Something called a premium package should simply cover most mixed drinks offered on board and a good selection of wines…

People buy the package so they have a more inclusive holiday experience and the convenience of no charges.

I am not a faddy wine drinker but I expect a variety of quality wines available in all venues without paying extra and without compromising on quality.

Shabby to degrade the package. It will also slow down service if wine waiters are constantly having to explain additional costs and mess with slips for $2…

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chemmo said:

Shabby to degrade the package. It will also slow down service if wine waiters are constantly having to explain additional costs and mess with slips for $2…

More like slips for 10 to 20.

I find them trying to sell me the whole bottle when I only want a glass.🥃 

5 hours ago, chemmo said:

Something called a premium package should simply cover most mixed drinks offered on board and a good selection of wines…

People buy the package so they have a more inclusive holiday experience and the convenience of no charges.

I am not a faddy wine drinker but I expect a variety of quality wines available in all venues without paying extra and without compromising on quality.

This 

Looking at the wine list there is a real lack of wine that would be in the Premium category   I looked at the Ascent 12/31 cruise and there is what appears to be an updated wine card in Luminae. In both red and white there is exactly one each listing for Premium wines.  The Classic package has two each.  None of them are inspiring and are basically house wines.  

The new wine and spirit cards are now essentially "Good, Better, Best" with the old Premium being "Better" (although I paid for best). It has gone from "ooh, I would like to try that" to "ok, I can drink that " 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Harborgirl246 said:

I emailed 24 hours ago.

I did not expect a phone call as I am in Australia, but I have not received any response to my email.

5 minutes ago, Baynanno1 said:

I emailed 24 hours ago.

I did not expect a phone call as I am in Australia, but I have not received any response to my email.

I emailed yesterday and received a return call today. Pretty standard corporate response. 

Thanks for your feedback

We take all concerns seriously
We appreciate your loyalty to Celebrity

We are reviewing your suggestions

If we feel a change to our pricing is necessary will will do that. 

I would like to think they are getting enough negative blowback that they will do something but as long as people keep filling their cabins they have little incentive. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jelayne said:

I'm hoping I'm wrong, as it would be the final indication that Celebrity has lost all sight of its (former) business strategy, but...

They cut the price of the package. They raised prices of some drinks beyond the package price. They're now receiving complaints about both the drinks being priced outside of the package which loses the set price and the need to constantly sign for drinks priced over the package.

What's the solution? Raise the package price. More than it was before. Restore predictability and eliminate signing for drinks. That's what you wanted, right?

FWIW, you can contact Celebrity all you want and complain to Celebrity all you want. There's too much of this going on to not have the concurrence, and likely the direction, of the RCG CEO and Board. Celebrity is executing policy (maybe not well), not developing it. IMHO. I said months ago that the "be more like Royal" concept really translated into "make money like Royal"...

4 minutes ago, markeb said:

I'm hoping I'm wrong, as it would be the final indication that Celebrity has lost all sight of its (former) business strategy, but...

They cut the price of the package. They raised prices of some drinks beyond the package price. They're now receiving complaints about both the drinks being priced outside of the package which loses the set price and the need to constantly sign for drinks priced over the package.

What's the solution? Raise the package price. More than it was before. Restore predictability and eliminate signing for drinks. That's what you wanted, right?

FWIW, you can contact Celebrity all you want and complain to Celebrity all you want. There's too much of this going on to not have the concurrence, and likely the direction, of the RCG CEO and Board. Celebrity is executing policy (maybe not well), not developing it. IMHO. I said months ago that the "be more like Royal" concept really translated into "make money like Royal"...

You may be right, but a policy of drop the package price and then upcharge for drinks to make up a shortfall seems a bit ridiculous. Had they left the package price as is maybe there would be no upcharge and none of these issues.  

10 minutes ago, High on the Seas said:

You may be right, but a policy of drop the package price and then upcharge for drinks to make up a shortfall seems a bit ridiculous. Had they left the package price as is maybe there would be no upcharge and none of these issues.  

They are throwing stuff up on the wall to see what sticks.

Not a great managment strategy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, High on the Seas said:

Classic to Premium upgrade was $20+ gratuity.  But in the 6 months it is in a flash sale for $6.99+ gratuity regularly.  That had to have reduced upgrade revenue and increased those drinking the higher priced ones and liquors.