Arcadia or Aurora first to go

Cynthia Darch

All things are possible - at a price. There are several examples of total cabin/bathroom refurbishments when a ship is sold to another operator so the answer is yes the bathrooms on Aurora could be totally refurbished, but I doubt that Carnival will go to that level of expense.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

It is, and therefore debating which ship, if any, might eventually replace that ship as adult only is naturally part of that discussion. It would be odd if it wasn’t. After all, when Adonia went Aurora was switched to Adult only. 

I am just pointing out the focus of the thread. Related issues are interesting, no problem.  I think Aurora will be the first to go.  I base this on the design of the balcony cabins and proportion of them available relative to number of cabins. This is what the cruise industry predominantly sells. If they need two Adult Only ships, and I think they will go this way Azura is my best guess

.Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, tring said:

Personally, I do agree with that.  We have booked a Ventura USA and Caribbean for 2025 and we had no thoughts of the fact there may be children onboard.  Some adults can be far more trouble than a few children, though I would certainly not want to go on one of those bigger ships in school holidays. 

We are not keen on ships the size of Ventura or above, though we were in a deck C balcony on Azura, autumn 2022 and we did quite take to it, so are trying the same again on Ventura.

We tend to avoid school holidays. Not necessarily to avoid kids, but the prices are a bit lower.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, daiB said:

We have been on 4 long Ventura cruises to the Caribbean and can confirm that there are very few children go on these cruises. One year there were 3 children and on the others around 10 to 15. Now personally I like children on cruises as I was a teacher. So Ventura does not need to go adult only as it is not as problem.

Same here. I like to see children around. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, john watson said:

I am just pointing out the focus of the thread. Related issues are interesting, no problem.  I think Aurora will be the first to go.  I base this on the design of the balcony cabins and proportion of them available relative to number of cabins. This is what the cruise industry predominantly sells. If they need two Adult Only ships, and I think they will go this way Azura is my best guess

.Regards John

I doubt it will be Azura, she has been geared up for sunshine cruises, and I assume she will carry on with the Med and Canary Flycruises.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I doubt it will be Azura, she has been geared up for sunshine cruises, and I assume she will carry on with the Med and Canary Flycruises.

Strangely, nobody has said either are going anywhere. They may well be with us for years yet. They OP started this, but the OP has now left the building.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, david63 said:

All things are possible - at a price. There are several examples of total cabin/bathroom refurbishments when a ship is sold to another operator so the answer is yes the bathrooms on Aurora could be totally refurbished, but I doubt that Carnival will go to that level of expense.

The suite bathrooms on Aurora were refitted before Covid and are now white (at least the ones we’ve been in recently are!) so it must be possible. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Nowt like a bit of trolling to keep the threads going.

All cruise ships have a useful life before leaving service.  If you examine  the ages of ships within fleets many seem to be withdrawn which were built around the year 2000. If people think these ships will be with P&O in 5 or 10 years it is very unrealistic.

Regards John

2 hours ago, john watson said:

All cruise ships have a useful life before leaving service.  If you examine  the ages of ships within fleets many seem to be withdrawn which were built around the year 2000. If people think these ships will be with P&O in 5 or 10 years it is very unrealistic.

Regards John

Had the finances of carnival not been significantly damaged by the losses and consequent borrowing incurred as a result of covid then what you say would be true.  Carnival have zero new tonnage due for delivery in 2026 or 2027 and have indicated quite strongly that 2028 is currently unlikely.  
If there are not any new ships then they either make do with what they have or reduce their capacity.  Currently the feedback appears to be that the service life of Arcadia and Aurora may extend beyond what has recently been seen as the norm.  It’s a long way from unrealistic to say that they will be around in 2028.

• Like 6

The main problems Carnival currently have is postCovid debts and lower market growth thought to be around 3%.  There are two major ships coming for Princess 4,300 pax each.  They might want to redistribute a Grand Class ship to P&O UK, similar to when they allocated them to P&O Australia. They would get cash back from selling off a P&O ship.

Regards John 

• Haha 1