Aus/NZ Visa Process Question

We are flying to Sydney, doing a Princess Land Tour then boarding for a Princess cruise around New Zealand with port calls. The Princess fine print says visas are required for both countries. 

We found the easy "evisa" sites and completed the applications for tourists. We were notified via email they were approved. Other than that we received no paperwork. Will customs know we have visas when we arrive? Does it pop up on their screen when they scan our passport? 

thanks in advance!

.Was your Australian visa done via the official site? - https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing

If so then, I wouldn't worry. 

As I have never had to get either visa, I don't  know but it does seem strange you don't have anything electronic. I would print off or keep electronic  versions handy of the email and receipts saying you are approved

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Hermitogo said:

We are flying to Sydney, doing a Princess Land Tour then boarding for a Princess cruise around New Zealand with port calls. The Princess fine print says visas are required for both countries. 

We found the easy "evisa" sites and completed the applications for tourists. We were notified via email they were approved. Other than that we received no paperwork. Will customs know we have visas when we arrive? Does it pop up on their screen when they scan our passport? 

thanks in advance!

Yes.. Exactly...  ETA (Electronic Travel Authority) is electronically  linked to your passport..  It is same as Australian or NZ passport holders needing ESTA linked to passport to enter USA. 

Dont need hard copy, however we always have copy of passport and other paperwork when travelling. (Life made much easier In case of theft or loss)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hermitogo said:

thanks in advance!

What website did you use? And what visa did you apply and pay for? I assume you have a US passport, if so all you need to have applied for was an ETA (electronic travel authority) for Australia and a NZeTA for New Zealand. 

This from the website Mic included in his post above -

Visa outcome

We will let you know our decision on your visa application in writing. If the visa is granted we will tell you:

• your visa grant number
  • the date your visa starts
  • your visa conditions.

You should keep a copy of our decision with you while in Australia.

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

What website did you use? And what visa did you apply and pay for? I assume you have a US passport, if so all you need to have applied for was an ETA (electronic travel authority) for Australia and a NZeTA for New Zealand. 

This from the website Mic included in his post above -

Visa outcome

We will let you know our decision on your visa application in writing. If the visa is granted we will tell you:

• your visa grant number
  • the date your visa starts
  • your visa conditions.

You should keep a copy of our decision with you while in Australia.

I believe that relates to a Visa. The Australian ETA will just send an email alert, and it is linked to any e-passport.

From the OP, I can't tell if they have applied for the ETA via the app, or applied via the web for the $190 subclass 600 visitor visa.

46 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I believe that relates to a Visa. The Australian ETA will just send an email alert, and it is linked to any e-passport.

From the OP, I can't tell if they have applied for the ETA via the app, or applied via the web for the $190 subclass 600 visitor visa.

What I quoted was from the page for applying for an ETA. How to Apply for an ETA

To me it seems that the OP may have applied for tourist visas rather than an ETA and NZeTA and that they have used a third party site rather than the government sites. For an ETA, you have to apply for it using the app. 

17 minutes ago, possum52 said:

What I quoted was from the page for applying for an ETA. How to Apply for an ETA

To me it seems that the OP may have applied for tourist visas rather than an ETA and NZeTA and that they have used a third party site rather than the government sites. For an ETA, you have to apply for it using the app. 

It is a bit of a scramble there, and that is generic information about visa outcomes. An ETA isn't a visa, and is automatically granted unless you are on a naughty list, don't meet the requirements of the application, or haven't completed it correctly. Then you would require a manual outcome.

Not that I have applied for an Aussie ETA, my understanding is that you will get an email notification and that is evidence. As with a US ESTA and travel authorities in many other countries, you don't require additional paperwork to be carried with your passport.

• Like 1

Just now, arxcards said:

Not that I have applied for an Aussie ETA, my understanding is that you will get an email notification and that is evidence. As with a US ESTA and travel authorities in many other countries, you don't require additional paperwork to be carried with your passport.

Although it is recommended to have proof of it electronically and in hard copy.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, arxcards said:

It is a bit of a scramble there, and that is generic information about visa outcomes. An ETA isn't a visa, and is automatically granted unless you are on a naughty list, don't meet the requirements of the application, or haven't completed it correctly. Then you would require a manual outcome.

The immigration refers to the ETA as a visa in their instructions on how to apply. 

IMG_4109.png

5 hours ago, arxcards said:

An ETA isn't a visa, and is automatically granted unless you are on a naughty list

That is incorrect. An ETA IS a visa unlike the American ESTA which is a visa waiver.

An ETA is only available by an app on your Android or  iPhone. It is usually granted instantly but some are randomly taken for manual processing and could take longer.

The cost of the ETA is free but for US and other citizens there is a service charge of $20. It is valid for a year and allows you to return to Australia for up to 3 months at a time. The year starts the day after you go through Australian customs and is attached to your passport. No paperwork necessary, you are notified on your Immi account by email or you can search your account for confirmation.

I suspect it is somewhat similar with obtaining a NZeTA . https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/visas/visa/nzeta

My fear is that you clicked on a dodgy  website pretending to be an official website and paid a huge premium for your visas. You may still get your visas but there is a chance that you will not.

My advice is, if you have not yet received any sort of correspondence from your application, to get a chargeback to your credit card for goods not received. You can then apply through the official channels and even if they did apply on your behalf, that visa will be cancelled automatically with the application of a new one.

Good luck.

Thanks for the re-assurances everybody! I printed out our approval emails and have them on iCloud so we should be good if there are any questions. I have a disorganized mind and have made some big travel mistakes in the past so am paranoid but still trying! lol.

• Like 4

Hi. I’m an American going on a Carnival cruise to NZ from Sydney in February. I was approved but had marked that it was transit, which I now see has all sorts of stuff about the Auckland airport. Anyone know where I went wrong and how to fix it? A bit panicked. 😞

8 minutes ago, def0715 said:

Hi. I’m an American going on a Carnival cruise to NZ from Sydney in February. I was approved but had marked that it was transit, which I now see has all sorts of stuff about the Auckland airport. Anyone know where I went wrong and how to fix it? A bit panicked. 😞

Did you apply for a NZeTA? There are posts on the Australia and New Zealand  Ports Board about the  NZeTA. Today there was a post saying that this is what their NZeTA app said when they received approval - 

"This NZeTA authorises you to travel to or transit New Zealand"

the wording on the email authorising 

Your New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority (NZeTA) has been issued.

You are now authorised to travel to New Zealand or to pass through Auckland International Airport as a transit passenger while you are on your way to another country."

Did you receive the same message? If so, you are all good to go.

On 1/1/2024 at 7:34 PM, def0715 said:

Thanks. What I got says airport only. Also, I was not prompted to pay the $35 NZ environmental thing. I’ll check that board. Appreciate you trying to help.

During the application process in the app, there was a question of whether you plan to stay in NZ and visit.  If you said yes, you are charged the $35 IVL fee in addition to the $17 eTA fee so you should have paid NZ$52 if you are visiting in NZ and not just passing through.

Posted (edited)

Thanks! I was thrown by the part about staying. (Apparently I was being too literal.) I applied for the correct one the second time around and am waiting on an answer. The first one (the transit one) was approved almost immediately.

Edited by def0715

We also almost applied for the wrong one but on going through it, it said airport only and we didn’t pick that one.  

I have printed out the emails that say we were granted and paid.  I didn’t know it would be connected to our passports so am happy that I won’t have to pull them out but will have them if needed.  Assuming this is for both Australia and NZ.  

We do on line tickets for a lot of things but I do like the hard copies.  Just call me old fashioned but if you can’t get WiFi…I’ve seen this happen a few times.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2023 at 4:53 AM, Big Kev said:

Yes.. Exactly...  ETA (Electronic Travel Authority) is electronically  linked to your passport..  It is same as Australian or NZ passport holders needing ESTA linked to passport to enter USA. 

Dont need hard copy, however we always have copy of passport and other paperwork when travelling. (Life made much easier In case of theft or loss)

Our last trip to USA from Australia we had to show hard copy proof of ESTA at the airport when checking in or we would have been denied boarding. What's changed in a few years?

• 1 month later...
On 12/24/2023 at 11:55 AM, possum52 said:

It’s the sane for UK now, Leigh.  We need an ETA for entry in May.  It is electronically linked to your passport, providing your passport has the small electronic emblem on front cover.  Otherwise, I expect confirmation emails printed should be carried.  And similarly, our applications are done via the relevant App.

• Like 1

Some time in February, our TA was advised.  I tried via the App two days ago, but it will not yet allow our passport to be photographed via the App.  Some countries are already eligible.

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

Some countries are already eligible.

According to the UK Gov website, Qatar is eligible now.

Six further counties from the Middle East become eligible on 22 February.

The timetable for further countries, as far as I can find, has not been announced.

• Thanks 1