Odyssey Europe cruise

Moon Orchid

Hi all, my husband and I and another couple ( My brother and his wife ), we decided to take 7 nights Greek Isles cruise on Odyssey ,depart from Rome September next year.
We will fly into Rome early and will need a hotel for 3 nights. Then go to the port the boarding day.
Please advise what hotel to stay .What are the must things to do in those 3 days. I saw an article show 25 best thing to to in Rome, Italy. But I doubt it that we can do all that. Lol
Our ship will stop at Santorini , Ephesus, Mykonos and Naples.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance 😊( I have done some research since this morning but need more fresh ideas ).

Edited by Moon Orchid

Here are my notes

10/28 Monday to 11/1 Friday.  Four nights in Rome
Albergo del Senato dbl room with breakfast $970+$345=$1315

10/28 Monday Day 0 in Rome.  
Check into hotel or drop luggage.   Probably around noon.
12:00 lunch
Visit Pantheon, 9am-7pm, 5e, no advance needed
3-6 golf cart tour.  Rollingrome.com.  $100/person.  4 in cart.  3 hours.
Rick Steves Heart of Rome sel guided walk with narration. 1 mile walk, 2-3 hours.
Includes Campo de’Fiori, Palazzo Farnese, Corso Vittorio Emanuele II, Pasquino Statue, Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Piazza Capranica, Parliament, Piazza Colonna, Via del Corso & Galleria, Trevi Fountain, Aqueduct Ruins, Immaculate Conception Column, Spanish Steps

10/29 Tuesday. Day 1 in Rome
Vatican Tour - St Peters Basilica, Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel. St.Peters closed Wednesday.   Tour must include special corridor
Vatican tix on sale 60 days prior
Recommend Walks of Italy Pristine Sistine Early Small Group tour, 1 hr early, 7:15-11:15, 4 hrs, max 15, $105
The Roman Guy Privileged Entry Vatican + Sistine 3hr, 7:45, max 16, $104
LIV Tours Semi Private Early Morning 7:30 3hr30m, max 6, $139 
Lunch - Locanda di Pietro,
After Vatican and lunch, do any of options 

Options on both afternoons
Walk to Castel Sant’Angelo (museum + view), Piazza del Popolo and Spanish steps
Crypts and Catacombs tour.  Walks of Italy - $77, 3.5hr 1:45-5:15
Walks of Italy tours - Welcome to Rome - $54, 2.5 hrs, max 15, 5-7:30
Walk tour.    Pasta Making $77
Walk tour.    Borgese tour $88, 2.5hr, max 15
Walk tour.   Trastavere Sunset Food and Wine $131, 3hr, 12 max
Villa Borghese - tickets released 3 months in advance, 20e
Street Food Tour 5pm, 2.5hr, from Campo de’Fiori
Trastevere Food Tour 5pm, 3hr, $62.41
Golf cart tour - rollingrome.com golf cart tour.  $100/person, 4 in cart. 3pm, 3hrs.
Walk from Pantheon to Trastevere via Piazza Navona. Link
Includes Campo de Fiori bustling market. Ponte Sisto bridge. Piazza Santa Maria and church.
Other popular sites - Appian Way,  Basilica di San Giovanni, Baths of Caracalla, Ostia Antica
Tour the Pantheon- buy tickets and download audio guide. 9-7, 50minutes, 15e

10/30 Wednesday. Day 2 in Rome
Colosseum tour
Tix go on sale 30 days prior coopculture is official site
Recommend Walks of Italy - Premium Colosseum, 3hr, max 16, $84, 10-1, includes Forum and Palatine 
Or VIP Colosseum Underground, 3.5hr, max 24, $132, 8:45-12:15
Or Gladiators Gate, 3h, max 25, $102
Or VIP at Night, 2.75h, max 24, $110
Lunch by Colosseum- Trattoria Luzzi, Naumachin Ristorante, Pasqualino Al Colosseo 
Then could do
Baths of Caracalla- 1hr, 20 min walk *****
Museum of the Imperial Fora (Museo dei Fori Imperiali)
Or Options above

10/31 Thursday Day 3 in Rome
Walks of Italy Borghese gallery - $91, 2.5 hrs, 2:45-5:15, max
  • Thanks 1

While it's both interesting and informative to learn what others have done, it's only relevant once you can articulate what kind of trip you want/traveler you are.  Many people like tours, others like to explore on their own, others like a combination of the two.  Some are into art, others history, others food and culture, etc.

It's not easy to find a through line for four different people, one that will satisfy everyone, so it's important to discuss among yourselves how you like to travel.

As for what to see, you can't see even the major sites in Rome in less than a full week, so with only a few days you'll need to be judicious and make some tough choices.  Just because "everyone" goes somewhere, that doesn't mean you need to, the trick is to find the best fit with your particular interests and desires.

I'll bet that in just a few minutes the four of you can generate a list of interesting sites that will exceed the time available, so maybe that's a place to start.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Choosing a hotel that is well located in Rome is very important when your time is limited. (You don't want to spend time going to and from your hotel to the central areas where most sites are located).

Here's a long but detailed thread with a lot of good info (not just recommendations) -- it's mostly from the past year so it is pretty up to date:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Choosing a hotel that is well located in Rome is very important when your time is limited. (You don't want to spend time going to and from your hotel to the central areas where most sites are located).

Here's a long but detailed thread with a lot of good info (not just recommendations) -- it's mostly from the past year so it is pretty up to date:

Thank you very much.😊

10 hours ago, kohanfam said:

Here are my notes

10/28 Monday to 11/1 Friday.  Four nights in Rome
Albergo del Senato dbl room with breakfast $970+$345=$1315

10/28 Monday Day 0 in Rome.  
Check into hotel or drop luggage.   Probably around noon.
12:00 lunch
Visit Pantheon, 9am-7pm, 5e, no advance needed
3-6 golf cart tour.  Rollingrome.com.  $100/person.  4 in cart.  3 hours.
Rick Steves Heart of Rome sel guided walk with narration. 1 mile walk, 2-3 hours.
Includes Campo de’Fiori, Palazzo Farnese, Corso Vittorio Emanuele II, Pasquino Statue, Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Piazza Capranica, Parliament, Piazza Colonna, Via del Corso & Galleria, Trevi Fountain, Aqueduct Ruins, Immaculate Conception Column, Spanish Steps

10/29 Tuesday. Day 1 in Rome
Vatican Tour - St Peters Basilica, Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel. St.Peters closed Wednesday.   Tour must include special corridor
Vatican tix on sale 60 days prior
Recommend Walks of Italy Pristine Sistine Early Small Group tour, 1 hr early, 7:15-11:15, 4 hrs, max 15, $105
The Roman Guy Privileged Entry Vatican + Sistine 3hr, 7:45, max 16, $104
LIV Tours Semi Private Early Morning 7:30 3hr30m, max 6, $139 
Lunch - Locanda di Pietro,
After Vatican and lunch, do any of options 

Options on both afternoons
Walk to Castel Sant’Angelo (museum + view), Piazza del Popolo and Spanish steps
Crypts and Catacombs tour.  Walks of Italy - $77, 3.5hr 1:45-5:15
Walks of Italy tours - Welcome to Rome - $54, 2.5 hrs, max 15, 5-7:30
Walk tour.    Pasta Making $77
Walk tour.    Borgese tour $88, 2.5hr, max 15
Walk tour.   Trastavere Sunset Food and Wine $131, 3hr, 12 max
Villa Borghese - tickets released 3 months in advance, 20e
Street Food Tour 5pm, 2.5hr, from Campo de’Fiori
Trastevere Food Tour 5pm, 3hr, $62.41
Golf cart tour - rollingrome.com golf cart tour.  $100/person, 4 in cart. 3pm, 3hrs.
Walk from Pantheon to Trastevere via Piazza Navona. Link
Includes Campo de Fiori bustling market. Ponte Sisto bridge. Piazza Santa Maria and church.
Other popular sites - Appian Way,  Basilica di San Giovanni, Baths of Caracalla, Ostia Antica
Tour the Pantheon- buy tickets and download audio guide. 9-7, 50minutes, 15e

10/30 Wednesday. Day 2 in Rome
Colosseum tour
Tix go on sale 30 days prior coopculture is official site
Recommend Walks of Italy - Premium Colosseum, 3hr, max 16, $84, 10-1, includes Forum and Palatine 
Or VIP Colosseum Underground, 3.5hr, max 24, $132, 8:45-12:15
Or Gladiators Gate, 3h, max 25, $102
Or VIP at Night, 2.75h, max 24, $110
Lunch by Colosseum- Trattoria Luzzi, Naumachin Ristorante, Pasqualino Al Colosseo 
Then could do
Baths of Caracalla- 1hr, 20 min walk *****
Museum of the Imperial Fora (Museo dei Fori Imperiali)
Or Options above

10/31 Thursday Day 3 in Rome
Walks of Italy Borghese gallery - $91, 2.5 hrs, 2:45-5:15, max

Wow, thank you so much for the great advised.

10 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

While it's both interesting and informative to learn what others have done, it's only relevant once you can articulate what kind of trip you want/traveler you are.  Many people like tours, others like to explore on their own, others like a combination of the two.  Some are into art, others history, others food and culture, etc.

It's not easy to find a through line for four different people, one that will satisfy everyone, so it's important to discuss among yourselves how you like to travel.

As for what to see, you can't see even the major sites in Rome in less than a full week, so with only a few days you'll need to be judicious and make some tough choices.  Just because "everyone" goes somewhere, that doesn't mean you need to, the trick is to find the best fit with your particular interests and desires.

I'll bet that in just a few minutes the four of you can generate a list of interesting sites that will exceed the time available, so maybe that's a place to start.

Thank you. I agreed with everything you said. When it comes to planning I take time to research and asking for people advices. With only 3 days in Rome I need to pick tours or do stuffs that fits into those 3 days, not to try to do everything because that's impossible.
Like you said, it's not easy to satisfy everyone. My husband and my brother they are pretty easy, just his wife she is already drive me nut with all of her own ideas even though she has never travel to Europe before. 
I'm trying to look for a good hotel , well located like Mom42 said. But my sister in law has no patience and keeps suggesting hotels in Civitavecchia Port, or told me that we should go to her time share 6-7 hours away from Rome  😔.

Edited by Moon Orchid

12 minutes ago, Moon Orchid said:

With only 3 days in Rome I need to pick tours or do stuffs that fits into those 3 days,

And once you decide which sights are of most interest to you all, sounds very basic, but do remember to book ahead for any which require pre-booked timed entry slots. That information should be on the official websites of each sight/attraction.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Moon Orchid said:

But my sister in law has no patience and keeps suggesting hotels in Civitavecchia Port, or told me that we should go to her time share 6-7 hours away from Rome  😔.

If it is located somewhere like Florence, that could possibly be an option worth considering and a tough decision for you all to make, but Florence is a much shorter distance than 6-7 hours away. In 6-7 hours from Rome you could even be in one of a few different countries depending on the mode of transport.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, edinburgher said:

And once you decide which sights are of most interest to you all, sounds very basic, but do remember to book ahead for any which require pre-booked timed entry slots. That information should be on the official websites of each sight/attraction.

Thank you, I'll do that.

37 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

It sounds like, for your sanity (not to mention actually enjoying your own trip), you might need to suggest that your brother and sister-in-law do their own thing during the day, then meet up with you for dinner.

I talked to her this morning ,told her the same thing. She said' Oh no, we will follow you guy because we don't know anything about Europe". I told her " I will do the research, then let us all decide where to stay ,what to do. But please don't try to change the plan later just because some one you know mention to do this or that". She said okay.
Hopefully we will have a smooth trip 😆

• Like 2

2 hours ago, edinburgher said:

If it is located somewhere like Florence, that could possibly be an option worth considering and a tough decision for you all to make, but Florence is a much shorter distance than 6-7 hours away. In 6-7 hours from Rome you could even be in one of a few different countries depending on the mode of transport.

Can't remember the name of the three cities that she showed me on her phone, but it said that it would take 6-7 hour to drive from there to get to Rome and Civitavecchia port.

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

It sounds like, for your sanity (not to mention actually enjoying your own trip), you might need to suggest that your brother and sister-in-law do their own thing during the day, then meet up with you for dinner.

That can be great advice.  We have seen too many folks at each other's throats when traveling as a group (both small and large).  Trying to get a group to all agree on a schedule and where to go can be more difficult to herding cats (sorry cat lovers).   

Hank

• Like 2

3 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

I think this is great advice!  That’s what we’ve done with friends and it has worked well.  
I agree that you should stay in the historic centre in order so see as much as possible of Rome.  For your first trip  that makes the most sense.  

Also I suggest you arrange private car transfers to further maximize your time and lessen stress from the airport and to and from the port.  We like using Stefano’s Rome Cabs.  With four people the costs will be reasonable for the convenience.  

For Ephesus, we had good luck with the tour guide Levant Solmaz, highly recommend you visit the Terrace houses.  

In Naples,  either a ferry ride and visit to Capri, or an excursion to Pompeii would be my suggestion for a first visit.  

Or you could take the easy way and each choose your own ship’s excursions.  All the best!

Edited by bennybear
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

I think this is great advice!  That’s what we’ve done with friends and it has worked well.  
I agree that you should stay in the historic centre in order so see as much as possible of Rome.  For your first trip  that makes the most sense.  

Also I suggest you arrange private car transfers to further maximize your time and lessen stress from the airport and to and from the port.  We like using Stefano’s Rome Cabs.  With four people the costs will be reasonable for the convenience.  

For Ephesus, we had good luck with the tour guide Levant Solmaz, highly recommend you visit the Terrace houses.  

In Naples,  either a ferry ride and visit to Capri, or an excursion to Pompeii would be my suggestion for a first visit.  

Or you could take the easy way and each choose your own ship’s excursions.  All the best!

Thank you very much for your great advices.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moon Orchid said:

I tried to book the Albergo Santa Chiara hotel but it looks like it bring me to simplebooking.com. Is it from the hotel or it is the third party website. Weird, I didn't go through with the reservation.

This is one of the booking platforms that small, independent hotels use to process their bookings. They are safe and reliable. 

Edited by marazul
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Moon Orchid said:

Oh no, we will follow you guy because we don't know anything about Europe"

It isn't difficult to learn a few things about "Europe".  Suggest that they both read, read and read even more, tourist information websites, guidebooks (borrow from a library?), Rick Steves, Fodors, Frommers, Lonely Planet websites and any others they might find online, but also YouTube videos as there are probably a good number of videos they can watch. And of course Tripadvisor for reviews and images to help them decide what would interest them.

Following at least some of these suggestions, they will learn and may even give them the courage to go their separate ways for a few hours each day.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, edinburgher said:

It isn't difficult to learn a few things about "Europe".  Suggest that they both read, read and read even more, tourist information websites, guidebooks (borrow from a library?), Rick Steves, Fodors, Frommers, Lonely Planet websites and any others they might find online, but also YouTube videos as there are probably a good number of videos they can watch. And of course Tripadvisor for reviews and images to help them decide what would interest them.

Following at least some of these suggestions, they will learn and may even give them the courage to go their separate ways for a few hours each day.

She is the type of people who doesn't like to do research because some people they knows everything😛☺️. Like she said we should fly in FCO around the check in time at the hotel, I said people on Cruise Critic advised that we should fly in early and check in, have the hotel hold the luggage, that way we will have extra time in Rome. She didn't like that.
I like to travel with family, but some time, it's pain in the b**t😁. I might have to do the way you guys advised me, meet them at dinner, that way everyone is happy.

Edited by Moon Orchid
  • Like 1

With careful searching and many grains of salt (read the reviews!), you might find some tours with "special access" - for example, before the official opening hours. We once joined up with a "sunrise at Stonehenge" tour because we thought that would be fun, and realized later that we'd be there before almost anyone else and that we had access to the inner ring of stones (not accessible to the general public). Another tour took us through the Vasari Gallery in Florence - again, not accessible to the general public.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Moon Orchid said:

Is it the norm to pay $300+ for a double room mid September at Albergo Del Chiara ? 

Rome is expensive, especially after covid.  Yes, that is about par for the location.

And I do hope "she" doesn't read CC! 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, marazul said:

Rome is expensive, especially after covid.  Yes, that is about par for the location.

And I do hope "she" doesn't read CC! 🤣🤣🤣

No, like I said she doesn't like to do any research, so she will never visit this board 😋. She is a salon owner so she got all the ideas from her customers. And it's doesn't matter if she see what I posted. I told her all the time to calm down🙃

Edited by Moon Orchid
  • Haha 1