Embarkation day question

TinaM67

9 minutes ago, Nashna said:

I will be traveling on O at the end of January.  If the rooms are not available before 3:00pm, I will question O. corporate why they have difficulty in providing the rooms in a timely manner while other cruise lines can open their staterooms before 2:00 pm.  On our Edge sailing last January our arrival time was 10:30 am.  We were on board the ship at 11:15 am.  The announcement that all rooms were ready was made at 1:00 pm.  

The delay in getting into my stateroom will not make or break a cruise for me.  This will be my 57th cruise.  I'm confident, I will enjoy the sailing as I have done on all but one...a disastrous Costa cruise.

Have a lovely time on your cruise, please do a full report for us, I am eager to savour it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, ToxM said:

Have a lovely time on your cruise, please do a full report for us, I am eager to savour it. 

I certainly will.  The Vista looks amazing.  I have sailed Regent three times in the past and look forward to doing a comparison.  

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ToxM said:

But it’s not going to ruin your cruise is it? I have to say that I find your use of unacceptable (all 3 of them) interesting. 

If memory serves the latest I have had access to a cabin on O (it was an oceanview, but I think the call was for all cabins below PH) was 2:45 - this was before covid (if that makes anything acceptable or not). 

It wasn’t an imposition at all, there are more than enough places to sit and relax 🙂

I think it is ~ 1 pm PH, ~2 pm A-category, and ~3 pm B-G category. A lady next to me at Baristas was having a fit last June because her PH was ready 15 minutes later than the expected time...not someone I would choose to hang out with. Did she want it clean or did she want it fast? Those are the options (well, not really since O will choose clean).

Edited by AMHuntFerry
A->B typo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Nashna said:

I will be traveling on O at the end of January.  If the rooms are not available before 3:00pm, I will question O. corporate why they have difficulty in providing the rooms in a timely manner while other cruise lines can open their staterooms before 2:00 pm.  On our Edge sailing last January our arrival time was 10:30 am.  We were on board the ship at 11:15 am.  The announcement that all rooms were ready was made at 1:00 pm.  

The delay in getting into my stateroom will not make or break a cruise for me.  This will be my 57th cruise.  I'm confident, I will enjoy the sailing as I have done on all but one...a disastrous Costa cruise.

If you are in anything lower than a Concierge room then yes, it will be around 3 when your room is ready. 

For the life of me I never seem to understand the people that come to Oceania and expect it to be what they've sailed on before. This is the way Oceania does it. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean they are doing anything wrong. You are not on Celebrity or any other line that you've been on before. I'm sure O corporate will give your complaint the proper attention they think it deserves. 

Enjoy your cruise. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

20 hours ago, ORV said:

If you are in anything lower than a Concierge room then yes, it will be around 3 when your room is ready. 

For the life of me I never seem to understand the people that come to Oceania and expect it to be what they've sailed on before. This is the way Oceania does it. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean they are doing anything wrong. You are not on Celebrity or any other line that you've been on before. I'm sure O corporate will give your complaint the proper attention they think it deserves. 

Enjoy your cruise. 

Any corporation that does not pay attention to their customer's concerns will not fare well.  Oceania appears to be quite concerned that they remain competitive within their target market.  Simply More is a good example.  

On 1/2/2024 at 6:56 PM, Nashna said:

I certainly will.  The Vista looks amazing.  I have sailed Regent three times in the past and look forward to doing a comparison.  

Do Regent make staterooms available to guests in a 'timely manner'?

2:00pm unless circumstances beyond the cruise lines control cause delays.  This happened on our Regent Alaska sailing.The cruise departed from Seward.  The previous sailing experienced rough seas that caused  our embarkation to be delayed by 4 hours.  We went directly to our staterooms.

10 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

What time do you consider timely?

Since we rarely board by 2:30, typically 3:30 or so, I’d say anytime by 3:30 is timely. 😎

I can walk out the door and eat typical American food off a buffet line or fast food joint anytime. Our next cruise embarks in Tokyo. Can’t understand why anyone would pass up the great local cuisine and all the sights to just sit on a ship and eat Americanized ship food! 🤔  If that’s all you really want to do, why put your body through the time changes and grueling flights? Just fly to Miami, as Oceania serves the exact same food in Miami as they do in Tokyo, Sidney, Istanbul, Athens, NYC, etc. Each to their own. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Since we rarely board by 2:30, typically 3:30 or so, I’d say anytime by 3:30 is timely. 😎

I can walk out the door and eat typical American food off a buffet line or fast food joint anytime. Our next cruise embarks in Tokyo. Can’t understand why anyone would pass up the great local cuisine and all the sights to just sit on a ship and eat Americanized ship food! 🤔  If that’s all you really want to do, why put your body through the time changes and grueling flights? Just fly to Miami, as Oceania serves the exact same food in Miami as they do in Tokyo, Sidney, Istanbul, Athens, NYC, etc. Each to their own. 

What is atypical to you may be untypical to others. 

Miami is certainly not a short hop for me whilst Monaco is a short hop for me… 

Everything is splendid and new and different and exciting to someone. 

• Like 6

I will also say that there is an option within the framework that Oceania offers to get access to one’s stateroom earlier, and that is to book a higher grade of cabin. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nashna said:

2:00pm unless circumstances beyond the cruise lines control cause delays.  This happened on our Regent Alaska sailing.The cruise departed from Seward.  The previous sailing experienced rough seas that caused  our embarkation to be delayed by 4 hours.  We went directly to our staterooms.

So that 1 hour between 2:00 and 3:00 where your stateroom may or may not be ready is the reason to make such a fuss?  

Thanks, that puts your complaint into perspective.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nashna said:

Embarkation days are crew-limited.  Lines preferentially allocate crew to having cabins ready earlier, or cabins prepared better, or opening main dining for lunch, or having debarking luggage available earlier, or baggage check for embarking luggage until cabins open, ... the list goes on, but the point is no line can do all the possible nice things except at a price point well above O's.

I'd really like GDR open for embarkation day "Taste of the World" lunch with my carry-on in my cabin, but I'll settle for a leisurely Waves "surf and turf" lunch with minimal carry-on (the rest gets handed to the porters dockside).

"Travel" is a short way of saying "opportunities to solve problems". 

• Like 2