Medications on Board

kitty9

8 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

No reason to bother calling Celebrity the law is clear. 

Unless the law has recently changed, Florida law provides that possession of the substances identified by the OP is a felony unless they are possessed by a qualified patient (which requires that one be a Florida resident) who is authorized to possess those substances and when those substances have been prescribed by an authorized Florida medical provider and dispensed by an authorized medical marijuana center.  There are no exceptions for out-of-state residents, visitors or tourists who may be authorized to possess those substances in their home state.  Those persons are subject to arrest and prosecution.  Just the process of an arrest and retaining an attorney, even if that attorney is successful in having the charges dismissed or deferred, will cost thousands of dollars and will cause the OP and/or her sister to miss the sailing (for a reason that most assuredly would not be covered by trip insurance).

It is also a federal crime to transport those across state lines.

I'm not suggesting that the OP or her sister would take such a risk and face the potential of severe consequences, instead this reply is in response to those who recommend taking the risk rather than finding a legal alternative solution (which may, unfortunately, include postponing or cancelling the planned cruise).

If the OP and/or her sister are contemplating following the advice of some posters and bringing those substances to the cruise terminal, they would be well-served to consult with an experienced Florida attorney before making that decision.  🙂

• Like 2

12 hours ago, kitty9 said:

My sister has gummies and something called Organic Remedies.  They are THC based.  She gets them from a local dispensary with her physician’s medical marijuana card. 

To the person who commented about her fitness to travel, her oncologist encouraged her to take the trip. Her condition is stable and the cancer cells are shrinking with the chemo.  All her markers are really good.  She lost 144 lbs in less than 3 months, but she’s gaining weight and feels good.  

Since gummies  is a pot , she should ask if she can get some nabilone

1 hour ago, cmaleblanc said:

I post something similar every time this question comes up, and it comes up often. I'm sorry OP your sister has to go through this, and I wish her the best. and this isn't specifically directed at you or your sister. But the number of people that responded to these questions advising people to "risk it" or "they've never seen it so it's ok" is astonishing. It doesn't matter what the FDA says or even the state/federal government has to say. You can not transport narcotics across international borders. even prescription drugs should be checked with any country you are traveling to, as a medication prescribed in the US could be illegal in other countries. 

This is an extremely broad and untrue statement. Plenty of "narcotics" are illegally prescribed and can be legally brought when you travel.

I am not sure why there have been so many posts about this. Celebrity has a conduct page. it is clear:

Guest Health, Safety, and Conduct Policy

Celebrity Cruises
(Last Updated: January, 2021)

DURING SECURITY SCREENINGS WE MAY INSPECT ANY GUEST BELONGINGS AND MAY REMOVE PROHIBITED ITEMS OUTSIDE OF THE GUEST’S PRESENCE. CONFISCATED ITEMS NOT CLAIMED BY GUESTS WITHIN 15 CALENDAR DAYS OF CONFISCATION SHALL BE DEEMED FORFEITED AND MAY BE DISPOSED OF BY ROYAL CARIBBEAN GROUP.

"Marijuana Prohibited

Marijuana, even in its medicinal form or for medicinal purposes, is prohibited."

What is not clear is if they will report a person with Medicinal Marijuana to the Authorities;

Drugs or Other Illegal Substances Prohibited

"Illegal drugs and other illegal substances are neither allowed onboard nor permitted to be used during a Celebrity Cruises vacation, including during transfers to and from ships, inside terminals, while onboard, at ports of call, during shore excursions, and at our private destinations. Illegal drugs and substances will be confiscated, and Celebrity Cruises reserves the right to, at its discretion, report violations of this nature to the appropriate authorities. Jurisdictions traveled through during the voyage may have strict laws that address and severely punish drug possession. Guests found in violation of such laws are subject to arrest and prosecution in the relevant jurisdiction, including United States or other relevant authorities, and may be prevented from boarding or re-boarding the ship."

I sympathize with OP and her sister but they are the only ones who can make the determination if they want to take the risk of bringing the medicine on Board. We can only hope that if it is discovered, under the circumstances Celebrity will not report the violation but presumably they will confiscate the prescription.

An article in the Miami Herald on November 16,2023 my be of interest:

"▪ Royal Caribbean Group: “Marijuana, even in its medicinal form or for medicinal purposes, is prohibited on our ships, as well as CBD oil and products.”

▪ Norwegian: Its policy states that all illegal narcotics and drugs, including recreational and medical marijuana, as well as all products “containing CBD, oils, candies, and gummies or any product containing THC,” is prohibited and will be confiscated.

• Carnival: Any illegal narcotics “including synthetic, designer drugs, Cannabidiol (CBD) and medical marijuana” are prohibited, according to the cruise line’s policy. “While certain CBD products used for medicinal purposes may be legal in the US, they are not legal in all the ports we visit and therefore are also considered prohibited items. “

▪ Virgin: Illegal drugs, non-prescribed controlled substances, medically prescribed marijuana or synthetic marijuana and CBD products are prohibited

▪ Disney Cruise lines (now home-ported in Fort Lauderdale): The policy states that “illegal narcotics — including synthetic designer drugs — and marijuana (even if legal where you reside or medically prescribed) — are prohibited on board the ships and on Disney Castaway Cay.” Medical marijuana, as well as CBD-infused products are prohibited. You might be denied boarding if you’re found to have it, and you could also be “subject to severe legal penalties.”"

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/living/travel/article281889213.html#storylink=cpy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Alakegirl said:

I am surprised at the advice to call Celebrity and simply explain the situation.  Whoever you speak with will simply open their book of stock answers and read out the guest conduct policy.  See post #3.

Just saying that nobody here can definitively answer the medical question which is very important to her.  We just spout off regulations which may be all true but no different than Celebrity stock answer.  I never suggested calling a customer service rep.  I think a connection to a medical professional within Celebrity corporate or RCG corporate might be helpful and definitive.  Probably a no, but at least an honest try.  Sorry I surprised you with my advice which maybe was not explained that well initially.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

You would have her rely on a cusomer service rep? Well known for fuzzy answers. While some states allow THC for medical use THC is illegal at the federal level even for medical use. It is listed as a schedule 1 narcotic with  no medical use. Even is the US changed it's designation there are the regulations of every port which are likely the same. No reason to bother calling Celebrity the law is clear. 

I never implied customer service rep.  

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Just saying that nobody here can definitively answer the medical question which is very important to her.  We just spout off regulations which may be all true but no different than Celebrity stock answer.  I never suggested calling a customer service rep.  I think a connection to a medical professional within Celebrity corporate or RCG corporate might be helpful and definitive.  Probably a no, but at least an honest try.  Sorry I surprised you with my advice which maybe was not explained that well initially.

Even if the OP’s sister could get through to someone in the Celebrity corporate office, they cannot, in the very short time before the cruise, do anything about the laws in Florida, the corporate policy, and all the other impediments noted in this thread.  

31 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Even if the OP’s sister could get through to someone in the Celebrity corporate office, they cannot, in the very short time before the cruise, do anything about the laws in Florida, the corporate policy, and all the other impediments noted in this thread.  

Probably true enough.  But seek true medical advice from her doctor and medical professionals at Celebrity (for what is allowed and not) about THC/CBD alternatives for pain - that is my key point. Not advice from the posters here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/2/2024 at 11:05 PM, kitty9 said:

her oncologist encouraged her to take the trip. Her condition is stable and the cancer cells are shrinking with the chemo.  All her markers are really good.  She lost 144 lbs in less than 3 months

how is her immune system? 

I hope 144 lbs in 3 months is a typo.

Dronabinol is a prescription drug with synthetic THC - and COULD be what this person uses.  It is FDA approved and very much legal. People should not give unequivocal statements about what is allowed on board unless they are an official with Celebrity.  What happened last year or last month might not be the policy today. This is serious stuff. Good luck to the original poster and her family. 

• Like 3

On 1/2/2024 at 11:05 PM, kitty9 said:

My sister has gummies and something called Organic Remedies.  They are THC based.  She gets them from a local dispensary with her physician’s medical marijuana card. 

To the person who commented about her fitness to travel, her oncologist encouraged her to take the trip. Her condition is stable and the cancer cells are shrinking with the chemo.  All her markers are really good.  She lost 144 lbs in less than 3 months, but she’s gaining weight and feels good.  

12 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

Dronabinol is a prescription drug with synthetic THC - and COULD be what this person uses.  It is FDA approved and very much legal. People should not give unequivocal statements about what is allowed on board unless they are an official with Celebrity.  What happened last year or last month might not be the policy today. This is serious stuff. Good luck to the original poster and her family. 

Perhaps you missed OP's update posted earlier and quoted above?  Dronabinol comes in liquid and capsule form, not gummies, and as an FDA approved prescription medication, Dronabinol is dispensed by a pharmacy upon a written prescription, not obtained from a medical marijuana dispensary with a medical marijuana card.  Organic Remedies is a cannabis product and is not FDA approved.

10 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

how is her immune system? 

I hope 144 lbs in 3 months is a typo.

Her immune system is good.  She has blood work every two weeks and her oncologist has been very happy.  They did talk about things like colds, RSV (she got the shot for that), COVID and the like and he said to use common sense but he’s not concerned.  As for the weight loss, (she was 276 lbs before getting sick) her whole journey started when she got COVID in Feb, developed a blood clot and had a collapsed lung.  She was in hospital for a long time, not eating much for weeks before the lung issue, and during a routine CT scan, they discovered the cancer.  She’s at one of the best cancer treatment centers in the country and her oncologist has been listed as one of the best doctors in the area.  So, if he’s ok with her travel, then so are we. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2