Queen Mary 2 world voyage 2024….Red Sea?

Easybimble

Graham Render, are your airfares bundled up with your Cunard booking because if they are [I know about it as that's what we do] and the itinerary is considerably changed/cancelled, you should be able to get the flights changed by Cunard at their expense or the whole 'package' reimbursed.

Edited by Victoria2
added 'flights changed'
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Graham Render said:

We purchased flights independently 

If the ship re routes it is likely to be from Singapore and return via Cape Town, so your existing flights should be OK if you are happy with the new cruise itinerary, ( and what every Cunard offer as compensation for the changed itinary)

2 hours ago, cruiseluvva said:

We did too, using mainly Avios.

You probably know that BA Avios flights can be cancelled up to 24 hours before departure for a small fee of £35pp, and your Avios is returned to you in full, plus any other cash you used to offset Avios miles.
You can also change the dates/times, but not the Routing.

Cash Fares where you have used some Avios to get money off, and Book with money and upgrade with Avios, all have different T&Cs IIRC.

Edited by rog747

11 minutes ago, rog747 said:

You probably know that BA Avios flights can be cancelled up to 24 hours before departure for a small fee of £35pp, and your Avios is returned to you in full, plus any other cash you used to offset Avios miles.
You can also change the dates/times, but not the Routing.

Cash Fares where you have used some Avios to get money off, and Book with money and upgrade with Avios, all have different T&Cs IIRC.

We’ll go regardless as we’re visiting our son in KL before flying down to SIN. If the trip is cancelled, we’ll still go and hop over to Langkawi for a week or so at the Datai. Just have to book a flight home. But obviously, we need to know asap so we can book the hotel at what is a very busy time.

• Like 2

I'm aware it is all speculation at the moment, but assuming that Cunard re-routes QM2 around South Africa instead of passing through the Red Sea, when would you expect her to be back in Southampton? I'd guess she would not make it to operate M410 to New York as scheduled, i.e. leaving Southampton April 28, 2024? I'm booked on the return M411 and a bit concerned that the ship won't be in NYC on May 5.

Costa Toscana‘s March 9, 2024 departure from Dubai – a 19-night cruise meant to reposition the ship from the United Arab Emirates to Italy for the Mediterranean summer season – has been cancelled. Guests were notified of the cancellation less than six weeks before the cruise was to set sail.

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2024/01/costa-cruises-cancels-red-sea-repositioning-voyage/#:~:text=Costa Cruises is cancelling a,depart on March 9%2C 2024.

35 minutes ago, ex-koelner said:

I'm aware it is all speculation at the moment, but assuming that Cunard re-routes QM2 around South Africa instead of passing through the Red Sea, when would you expect her to be back in Southampton? I'd guess she would not make it to operate M410 to New York as scheduled, i.e. leaving Southampton April 28, 2024? I'm booked on the return M411 and a bit concerned that the ship won't be in NYC on May 5.

It would depend where they start the reroute. From Dubai it would appear to be late, but from Colombo doable.. 

41 minutes ago, ex-koelner said:

If QM2 follows QV from Sri Lanka via South Africa to Southampton it can still arrive back in Southampton the 28th April as planned. 
https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/find-a-cruise/V408D/V408D?categoryCode=S_M&cruiseCode=V408D&rateCode=KD1&typeCode=S

The key question for Cunard if they reroute QM2 is which ports will have available capacity for them to stop at plus the logistic for refuelling and replenishing food stocks.

They'll have to tell us really soon in my opinion. Surely we'll get options (Stay on with different route, cancel, maybe a few options of where to embark/disembark if original port is no longer visited)? Or am I being over-optimistic?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ex-koelner said:

QM2 is due to depart Colombo on March 31, one day later than QV, both are due into Southampton on April 28th.  If QM2 does re route back via Cape Town ( and follow QV) there would be more than enough time to get back into Southampton on schedule.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KJR999 said:

If QM2 follows QV from Sri Lanka via South Africa to Southampton it can still arrive back in Southampton the 28th April as planned. 
https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/find-a-cruise/V408D/V408D?categoryCode=S_M&cruiseCode=V408D&rateCode=KD1&typeCode=S

The key question for Cunard if they reroute QM2 is which ports will have available capacity for them to stop at plus the logistic for refuelling and replenishing food stocks.

There appears to be plenty of gaps in the Cape Town port schedules around April 10th, just before QV arrives in Cape Town

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Poole Boy said:

QM2 is due to depart Colombo on March 31, one day later than QV, both are due into Southampton on April 28th.  If QM2 does re route back via Cape Town ( and follow QV) there would be more than enough time to get back into Southampton on schedule.

Thank you! I think I was a bit misguided by news report about container ships now taking the much longer route around SA instead of the Suez Canal, thus disrupting supply cahins.

• Like 1

I suspect that Carnival is working on a plan that also involves the HAL Zuiderdam, which is slated to be in Columbo Sri Lanka on 28 March (right around the time of the QV and QM2).  The Zuiderdam and QM2 are supposed to head to the Persian Gulf area and then around the Red Sea together for Suez transits on 17/18 April.  In a revised plan all 3 ships (QV, QM2, and Zuiderdam) would likely depart Columbo together or in close proximity and then head for the Cape of Good Hope to refuel/reprovision at Port Elizabeth South Africa.  Carnival is under some pressure to deal with the Island Princess, which will be here in Sydney in 2 weeks (14 Feb) and is slated to head to Perth-Singapore-Dubai and transit the Suez in mid-March.  If they are going to route around Southern Africa, then the departure point off their scheduled voyage is from Perth.   They really need to advise people who would like to bail out at Sydney, which is a major embarkation point.

The US DOT Maritime Administration advisory for the Red Sea is due to be updated on 30 Jan (Washington time).  This will likely seal our fates.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Poole Boy said:

And if indeed QM2 departed Colombo on March 31 and followed QV’s path, what then would the most likely date be that QM2 would arrive in Cape Town?  This logically would become the new segment itinerary for all those getting on in Singapore (in what was supposed to be a 15 night itinerary).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Both QV and QM2 need a nightstop in Cape Town, that's normal on these WC segments.
For QV it is a booked WC segment change, and I guess QM2 could do the same to disembark and embark new segment Pax (which is likely to be a lot) 

The HAL Zuiderdam is a couple of days ahead of both ships at Colombo, so she will be ahead all of the Cunard pair all of the time.

The ship was due to go from Colombo to Fort Lauderdale via India, UAE ports and Dubai, Oman, Jordan, Egypt, Suez, Turkey and Eastern Med calls, Athens, Naples, Malaga, and the Azores to Florida.
Her rerouting could likely be from Cape Town to the Azores via some port calls but nothing like what her current itineraires are.
Her Pax will not be too happy to lose so many wonderful Ports and visits to Antiquities on this Grand Voyage. 

No announcement from HAL as yet;

As mentioned above (and I also pointed this out last week) both the Colombo and Cape Town Port schedules seem to show 'space available' and QM2 could also overnight at Colombo if Cunard choose to use this Port as the WC segment change instead of Dubai.
There is also plenty of time for QM2 to sail via the Cape and stay on schedule for her SOU arrival on 28th April, and then her same-day departure on to NYC.

The issues are for Cunard to now look to book the port calls for QM2 on the rerouting via the Cape if she sails from Colombo (and does not call at Dubai).
Bunkers and provisions will definitely be done at Colombo and Cape Town.

Edited by rog747
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, SaltyCroc said:

I suspect that Carnival is working on a plan that also involves the HAL Zuiderdam, which is slated to be in Columbo Sri Lanka on 28 March (right around the time of the QV and QM2).  The Zuiderdam and QM2 are supposed to head to the Persian Gulf area and then around the Red Sea together for Suez transits on 17/18 April.  In a revised plan all 3 ships (QV, QM2, and Zuiderdam) would likely depart Columbo together or in close proximity and then head for the Cape of Good Hope to refuel/reprovision at Port Elizabeth South Africa.  Carnival is under some pressure to deal with the Island Princess, which will be here in Sydney in 2 weeks (14 Feb) and is slated to head to Perth-Singapore-Dubai and transit the Suez in mid-March.  If they are going to route around Southern Africa, then the departure point off their scheduled voyage is from Perth.   They really need to advise people who would like to bail out at Sydney, which is a major embarkation point.

The US DOT Maritime Administration advisory for the Red Sea is due to be updated on 30 Jan (Washington time).  This will likely seal our fates.

Regardless of (ship company) reimbursement or compensation, insurance costs are likely not reimbursed.  That alone will give me pause for cancellation (of the remainder) of the cruise.

Quoted from another post (not verified). 

A change likely forthcoming for HAL Zuiderdam and QM2 soon.

"Revised Princess schedule is skipping all Asia ports. Going from Perth to Mauritius, Cape Town, Walvis Bay and Cape Verdi then continue with the European ports."

• Like 1

Carnival has just announced on news wires updating their corporate market status that they have made the decision to reroute 12 ships , across 7 lines away from the Red Sea, between now and May 24. 
I’m not sure how to post a link to this , and the cut and paste approach  is apparently not  allowed ! 
so the die is cast and now we wait for details and options for passengers.