Baggage Forwarding Service

nbtraveler

Anyone use the company "Luggge Forward" to have luggage sent directly to the ship?

Traveling to Europe for a few days before cruise and wondering if this service would be useful.

Send "checked bags" and just arrive in Europe with carry on. 

We’ve used it for that reason - travelling a few days in Europe before the cruise.  They picked the luggage up at our home approximately 10 days before the cruise date and was waiting for us in the cabin when we boarded.  It is quite expensive though.  We checked the luggage on our return flight.

13 minutes ago, Sn0cruiser said:

We’ve used it for that reason - travelling a few days in Europe before the cruise.  They picked the luggage up at our home approximately 10 days before the cruise date and was waiting for us in the cabin when we boarded.  It is quite expensive though.  We checked the luggage on our return flight.

Depends on your definition of expensive. Just before the pandemic SWMBO and I did four weeks of land travel in Europe before catching the QM2 for a transatlantic home.  We had a bag shipped to the ship.

Compared to hauling "cruise only" clothes around Europe for four weeks, it was cheap - especially when compared to the total cost of the trip. 

Go to their website and check their prices.

• Like 1

Thanks for the topic, as I am considering this as well. 

We are looking at this. We have a similar situation, 10 days pre cruise.  We have an additional flight, plus a luggage transfer with Norway in a Nutshell.  After deducting the fees for those trips, Luggage Forward becomes very reasonable.  Not lugging that extra piece of luggage around is just a plus.

@Sn0cruiser and @SargassoPirate  Thanks for relating your experiences. 

2 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

I was very happy with Luggage Forward last November. I read here on CC that problems arise if you pack ANYTHING other than clothes/shoes, etc. NO toiletries, creams, etc.

Then you’re golden!

If you send it home at the end of the cruise - NO souvenirs. The luggage service doesn’t want to deal with *any* customs issues. It’s strictly clothing/footwear and you must provide an itemized list of contents. 

I included some simple non-aerosol toiletries in my luggage (toothpaste, etc.) with no issues.  You can’t add perfumes, alcohol or alcohol containing, aerosol items.  I put them on top and in a separate zip log bag in case they had to remove.  We really appreciated the service and are planning to use them again on an upcoming cruise.  

Has anyone used the return service from the ship ?  If so, where and when did they pick up the luggage ?  We’re thinking of spending time in Europe before and after the next cruise. 

I included some simple non-aerosol toiletries in my luggage (toothpaste, etc.) with no issues.  You can’t add perfumes, alcohol or alcohol containing, aerosol items.  I put them on top and in a separate zip log bag in case they had to remove.  We really appreciated the service and are planning to use them again on an upcoming cruise.  

Has anyone used the return service from the ship ?  If so, where and when did they pick up the luggage ?  We’re thinking of spending time in Europe before and after the next cruise. 

Absolutely correct.  From their website:

Are there any items I cannot send?

Yes, any hazardous or dangerous commodities are prohibited from all Luggage Forward shipments. For shipments traveling between two countries, there may be additional items that are restricted by customs on a country-specific basis. 

Here are some of the most common items that cannot be shipped in your luggage:

Medication, OTC, prescription, or vitamins 

Food & Alcohol

Perfume (or anything with alcohol content)

Pressurized Containers (aerosol, CO2 cartridges, etc) 

Valuables or Currency

Electronics

Lithium based, or Alkaline batteries

For additional items that cannot be shipped, please visit https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/

Earlier this month, after disembarkation, we picked up our large suitcase in the luggage area of the Amsterdam port. We then started looking for an agent for Luggage Forward/ Luggage Free. We saw no one and kept waiting for about 15 minutes. Finally asked another young man working there who said “oh you need the port agent in the next building.” And he went to get the port agent who took our bag, telling us to photograph it to indicate it was in good shape before it was shipped to our home. It works, but sometimes you do not know exactly where the correct agent might be and the agent may not be looking for you.

In addition, when shipping directly to the ship, we found that we had to inquire at guest relations about our luggage because it was not delivered to our cabin. Turned out that guest relations had it behind their desk. 

Another comment: When Azamara docked for disembarkation in Bordeaux France last year, the area for our luggage was set up in tents along a river; there was no port building and no port agent. Azamara tried, as we did, to find a contact for us, but no one showed up or was available. So we had to take the bag ourselves until we reached our next vacation stop in a Paris hotel. Then pickup of the luggage was easy to arrange.

We would still do it again but are aware of possible issues that can arise.

• 2 months later...

In my wandering around the internet I came across a intriguing baggage service for people who don't want to deal w their bags.  It is called My Baggage - https://www.mybaggage.com/quote?quote=US%2CGB.  I have never used them so I do not know if they are reliable but their prices are low.  For example I can send a 66# suitcase from the US to the UK with pickup at my home for only $160.  This is for 4 - 5 day service.  Again and I repeat I have not used them so this is not a recommendation.  Use them at your own risk.  They do appear to have some good reviews however.

DON

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, sunrise220 said:

I think there is a similar service in the UK but cannot remember its name.

If you find the costs acceptable then its worth considering

I am not going to use it myself but I posted because it might help someone else.  Again - my post is not a recommendation but a FYI post.

DON