Wave Season: A big deal, or a big yawn?

I keep reading how Wave Season is supposed to be the best time of year to book a cruise. However, I never seem to see any special deals fare-wise from NCL to celebrate this festive/joyous season. I mean, we put up our Wave Season tree and all our Wave Season gifts are wrapped and cards mailed, but all I get from NCL is a lump of coal and a big "Bah humbug".

Wave Season is the first several weeks of the year. Is it better to wait a couple weeks to book something, hoping NCL pulls something major out of its *ahem* hat, or give up any hope of a fantabulous deal and just book something now? My CruiseFirst certificate is itching to be used and I'm ready to scratch that itch.

Yes, I know you can always cancel or get the "new" price on a cruise if it drops, but I'm mainly asking if Wave Season is "a big thing" at NCL, or a big nothing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

I keep reading how Wave Season is supposed to be the best time of year to book a cruise. However, I never seem to see any special deals fare-wise from NCL to celebrate this festive/joyous season. I mean, we put up our Wave Season tree and all our Wave Season gifts are wrapped and cards mailed, but all I get from NCL is a lump of coal and a big "Bah humbug".

Wave Season is the first several weeks of the year. Is it better to wait a couple weeks to book something, hoping NCL pulls something major out of its *ahem* hat, or give up any hope of a fantabulous deal and just book something now? My CruiseFirst certificate is itching to be used and I'm ready to scratch that itch.

Yes, I know you can always cancel or get the "new" price on a cruise if it drops, but I'm mainly asking if Wave Season is "a big thing" at NCL, or a big nothing.

Do you think 'wave season' the time to book a cruise or the time to take a cruise?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Actually, “Wave Season” is a real event.  It is observed during the months of January and February each year.  It originated in Canada, but in recent years has crossed the border to cities in the Pacific Northwest, Northeast, New York and even the upper Midwest.

”Wave Season” as its known,  is when savvy cruisers switch out their parkas, gloves and shoe shoes for Bermuda shorts, swim trunks and flippie floppies…just before “waving goodbye” to friends and neighbors.  

And, now you know the rest of the story…Paul Harvey.

Or maybe not.

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Wave Season is, indeed, a real thing. Between January and March, many cruise lines offer promotions to try to fill their occupancy for the remainder of the year and get a good head start on bookings for the following year. If you are flexible with your travel dates and itinerary, you may be able to snag some decent deals.

In the age of seemingly endless promotions and frequent price increases, though, the deals that you will find during Wave Season these days may not be as good as the deals that were offered during those months 5+ years ago. I usually have as good of luck (if not moreso) booking during one of the holiday promotions during the year. I have snagged some good deals during Memorial Day sales and 4th of July sales through my TA that surpass many of the deals that are offered during Wave Season.

• Like 1

In the past Wave Season was a real thing - however since the shutdown I have only seen the same two "sales" from NCL either 35% or 50% off rack rates (which are inflated so the sale is only apparent). Yes they have changed the wording of the "sale" from 2od passenger free or 70% off - both of which they split the discount between pax 1 and 2 thus the 35 or 50% off. Now during Wave Season I have seen more ads for HAL offering 40% off and OBC to spend. The only thing that NCL could do to sweeten the pot would be to add either OBC or pre-paid gratuities.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bonvoyagie said:

In the past Wave Season was a real thing - however since the shutdown I have only seen the same two "sales" from NCL either 35% or 50% off rack rates

"wave season would apply to the prices of only certain cruises, not a sale on all cruises.  The "rack rates" for the wave season cruises would be changing in an effort to get the ships filled for those particular sailings.

Posted (edited)

Last year the "wave" deals were extra Latitudes points for certain sailings.  That covered maybe 60% of the cruises offered for 2023.  We received double points on 2 cruises, shooting us up the Latitudes hierarchy.   We are hoping this will happen again soon. 

And for Jeep owners:

image.thumb.png.f7922d0fa38b33fb55f69d5f514bef72.png

Edited by Panhandle Couple
  • Like 1

Crickets 😆 are plentiful thus far this season for NCL. Not a beep even from PCC for the New Year.

Not likely to see double Latitudes points on most cruises as they are booking them anyway. #cough #cough 😷