The Kitchen Table ??

Bo1331

We’re on Viking Sky for our first Viking cruise and see they have The Kitchen Table, what is it.  It looks like a on board cooking school.  Any info on it.

3 hours ago, Bo1331 said:

We’re on Viking Sky for our first Viking cruise and see they have The Kitchen Table, what is it.  It looks like a on board cooking school.  Any info on it.

There are two versions. One is a shore excursion with the Executive Chef -- a visit to a local market to shop for the ingredients for a meal that you will then assist the chef in preparing. Not offered on every itinerary or sailing.

The other is  an at-sea day activity where you prepare a meal with the chef and then enjoy it. Usually offered on sailings with multiple at-sea days. 

Both versions are very limited capacity.

• Like 1

We were on the Star last month for the Grand Hawaii & Polynesian and dw did 7 kitchen tables including the long one where she went shopping with chef.  They were the highlight of her cruise.  I believe price was $69 for regular classes and $269 for the big one.  Each had a different theme (Italian, French, Caribbean, Australian, etc).  Attendance is limited to 12.  Guest services would be happy to go over details with you.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

We have one shore-ex version on our upcoming cruise. Is there a standard time for when everyone reunites on board for cooking and eating? The shore-ex is listed as 1-3PM, but I'm guessing that that just covers wandering around going shopping, and then we actually cook it up later?

Thanks!

-- Ethan

There are 2 versions.  One is an excursion on a port day where you go shopping with the chef and prepare a meal.  The other is an excursion only on sea days.  It starts at 10 am in the morning, where 12 people get together and help the chef cook a set meal.  At the end, you sit down and eat a late lunch around 1.  This pops up on the excursion section of the interactive TVs in your room as an offering on sea days, and it’s $69 pp.  At the end, you get to keep your Viking apron and receive a printout of the recipes you cooked.  
I left the world cruise with 4 aprons.  I didn’t do all of them that were offered, but only the ones that interested me.  I signed up for the one on our Northern Lights cruise we just returned from, but rather than a sea day, we were flown to London.  

I was on the cruise with Baron's wife and did what she did....7 classes plus Kitchen Table shopping with Chef Joseph and 4 assistants. We did not cook that meal, it was served to us. In the classes we cooked. I had a wonderful time!!!

• 3 months later...

I noticed the description for my Kitchen Table in Stavanger says shopping in the morning, later in the evening you dine. Except the time for the tour is 1PM-3PM. I chatted with a Viking rep who is going to email me back with more definitive answers, but she thinks that we do go shopping in the morning, 1pm-3pm is when we are with the chef and learn how to prepare the meal, and then we'll eat the meal they make for us later in the evening.

Does it usually work like that, with 3 different aspects all through the day? I was hoping that we might have time to also do something else in town, but with the ship sailing at 4pm I'm guessing that's a no. It seems like it would be nicer if the 1-3pm learn to cook segment started after all-aboard time, but perhaps the chefs are too busy preparing dinner at those later hours?

43 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

I noticed the description for my Kitchen Table in Stavanger says shopping in the morning, later in the evening you dine. Except the time for the tour is 1PM-3PM. I chatted with a Viking rep who is going to email me back with more definitive answers, but she thinks that we do go shopping in the morning, 1pm-3pm is when we are with the chef and learn how to prepare the meal, and then we'll eat the meal they make for us later in the evening.

Does it usually work like that, with 3 different aspects all through the day? I was hoping that we might have time to also do something else in town, but with the ship sailing at 4pm I'm guessing that's a no. It seems like it would be nicer if the 1-3pm learn to cook segment started after all-aboard time, but perhaps the chefs are too busy preparing dinner at those later hours?

Very likely.  Usually there is some behind the scenes support during the cooking during a regular (sea day) Kitchen Table.  When we did a tour of the kitchen around 2:30ish after we had eaten, we saw food being prepped for Tea in Wintergarden and desserts being made and prep work being done for dinner service.

46 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

Does it usually work like that, with 3 different aspects all through the day?

Yes. It’s an all day experience with the chef; shopping, cooking, eating. It also fills up rapidly.

3 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Yes. It’s an all day experience with the chef; shopping, cooking, eating. It also fills up rapidly.

Then some people are going to be very unhappy, since the tour says it's 1-3pm and so the morning hours may come as a surprise to people. Glad I'm figuring it out in advance!

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

Then some people are going to be very unhappy, since the tour says it's 1-3pm and so the morning hours may come as a surprise to people. Glad I'm figuring it out in advance!

On our cruise MVJ lists the time in the morning (9:45-11:45) but that is just the market portion. Could be your shopping trip is in the afternoon.

MVJ description:

Join Our Executive Chef for a Unique, Market-to-Table Experience

Immerse yourself in local culture and cuisine as our Executive Chef leads you on an interactive culinary adventure.

In the morning, you will travel by mini-coach to the local market to handpick ingredients under the guidance of our Chef. Later this evening, you will dine on regional dishes prepared by our experienced culinary team, using produce from the market. As you and your fellow guests enjoy this delicious creation at The Kitchen Table, you will also observe the art of plating with each dish. From fresh market fare to cooking techniques and elegant presentation, experience firsthand how your ship’s world-class culinary staff brings distinct, local flavors from the market to your taste buds. It is an unforgettable, one-of-a-kind opportunity to shop, interact and dine with the masters.
Edited by OneSixtyToOne

Believe MVJ contains the general description however each chef controls the actual event for his/her ship.  Since this can't be booked in advance suggest you book at guest services on embarkation day as it fills quickly and later track down chef to learn the details.  You can always cancel.

1 hour ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Believe MVJ contains the general description however each chef controls the actual event for his/her ship.  Since this can't be booked in advance suggest you book at guest services on embarkation day as it fills quickly and later track down chef to learn the details.  You can always cancel.

Are you confusing the shore excursion and the much less expensive at-sea day activity (which cannot be booked until you board the ship)?  It is my understanding that the shorex version is booked just like every other shorex excursion.

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

Are you confusing the shore excursion and the much less expensive at-sea day activity (which cannot be booked until you board the ship)?  It is my understanding that the shorex version is booked just like every other shorex excursion.

Correct. The Kitchen Table is booked in advanced like any other excursion. We have one now in MVJ for our August cruise. 

image.thumb.png.137124ee42bdde790a31392bfc551853.png

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

The Cooking Class I was referring to in another CC entry is booked on board at Guest Services, just as the Kitchen, Laundry and Bridge Behind the Scenes experiences are done, There is a charge for the Cooking Class as you are eating food and you get to keep the special apron.

Edited by janetcbl

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

The Cooking Class I was referring to in another CC entry is booked on board at Guest Services, just as the Kitchen, Laundry and Bridge Behind the Scenes experiences are done, There is a charge for the Cooking Class as you are eating food and you get to keep the special apron.

Janet - it was $69 pp for us on the Mars cruise that we are both on right now.  Hoping you got to go to one - the Cooking Class that is.  The Bridge, Kitchen, Laundry tours are free, first come first served.  Bridge tour is at discretion of the Captain and cannot be guaranteed.

Edited by CCWineLover

18 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

The one dw went on last fall on the Star was the $249 one and at least for our sailing it could not be booked pre-cruise.  It was only mentioned at a chefs demonstration in the theater several weeks into our sailing and sold out within minutes.

On Oceania the chefs can only cook using food provided by corporate.

What kind of flexibility does the head chef have when they go into town and select products?

Is he acting like its spontaneous but is really purchasing preauthorized foods or can he decide on the fly based upon how things look and actually alter recipes because something might not be the quality he likes and choose something else?

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, zalusky said:

What kind of flexibility does the head chef have when they go into town and select products?

Is he acting like its spontaneous but is really purchasing preauthorized foods or can he decide on the fly based upon how things look and actually alter recipes because something might not be the quality he likes and choose something else?

They shop at the local market. I’m sure they have a menu in mind and are familiar with what’s available but can alter it if they see something unique.

On a river cruise I once asked the chef about all the white asparagus signs we saw all around the markets and he told me that it was available only at a certain time of year and it was a big deal in some towns. The next night it was announced that they had a special appetizer for everyone, white asparagus.

Here is a video of the Kitchen Table and shopping for ingredients.

Barcelona Market

IMG_2167.thumb.jpeg.f0a5a3ab1bf3c565af0748ae0e1b6b6e.jpeg

IMG_2166.thumb.jpeg.559da600012b197d4fe0b2c3c7d1430b.jpeg

IMG_2165.thumb.jpeg.b29c0b96ea95f456a71d8049f14351b5.jpeg

IMG_2163.thumb.jpeg.9a77a72434a4ecc322bc09e9d7f9b16f.jpeg

IMG_2162.thumb.jpeg.177700c212eee7825be496f02d91ff70.jpeg

IMG_2161.thumb.jpeg.60b4ee535f23c62c04c0060e2e26af38.jpeg

IMG_2156.thumb.jpeg.3aa59314889c700fecd254b023749be6.jpeg

IMG_2157.thumb.jpeg.3552d465f606e36144fa761359c3666c.jpeg

IMG_2160.jpeg

IMG_2159.jpeg

IMG_2158.jpeg

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Janet - it was $69 pp for us on the Mars cruise that we are both on right now.  Hoping you got to go to one - the Cooking Class that is.  The Bridge, Kitchen, Laundry tours are free, first come first served.  Bridge tour is at discretion of the Captain and cannot be guaranteed.

Exactly! I did the Norwegian Food Class…it was good fun and delicious.  Are you continuing to NYC or leaving at Reykjavík? We attended the reception for NYC passengers (230?) of us today. Happy to continue the journey!

1 hour ago, zalusky said:

When dw did it in San Diego the chef picked out the meat at butcher shop but guests selected the seafood at a fish market and vegetables at largest produce facility she has ever seen.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

They shop at the local market. I’m sure they have a menu in mind and are familiar with what’s available but can alter it if they see something unique.

On a river cruise I once asked the chef about all the white asparagus signs we saw all around the markets and he told me that it was available only at a certain time of year and it was a big deal in some towns. The next night it was announced that they had a special appetizer for everyone, white asparagus.

Here is a video of the Kitchen Table and shopping for ingredients.

Barcelona Market

IMG_2167.thumb.jpeg.f0a5a3ab1bf3c565af0748ae0e1b6b6e.jpeg

IMG_2166.thumb.jpeg.559da600012b197d4fe0b2c3c7d1430b.jpeg

IMG_2165.thumb.jpeg.b29c0b96ea95f456a71d8049f14351b5.jpeg

IMG_2163.thumb.jpeg.9a77a72434a4ecc322bc09e9d7f9b16f.jpeg

IMG_2162.thumb.jpeg.177700c212eee7825be496f02d91ff70.jpeg

IMG_2161.thumb.jpeg.60b4ee535f23c62c04c0060e2e26af38.jpeg

IMG_2156.thumb.jpeg.3aa59314889c700fecd254b023749be6.jpeg

IMG_2157.thumb.jpeg.3552d465f606e36144fa761359c3666c.jpeg

IMG_2160.jpeg

IMG_2159.jpeg

IMG_2158.jpeg

OMG...I love...love that market in Barcelona!  It would be a Chef's dream to live near that!  Also love the World Market (much like this one) in Budapest.  

I stocked up on the local Smoked Paprika.  Soooo good!  🙂 

Edited by island lady