Forward Cabins

ccbee

Have been on about 19 cruises but this is our first Crystal Cruise - a B2B Vancourver to Seward Alaska cruise in July. We booked cabin 8011 for the cruise to Seward and 8012 for the cruise back to Vancouver. These are forward cabins. We have always cruised in mid-cabins or mid-aft cabins. I am a little concerned about seasickness and wondering if we should change to mid cabins which are about $1000 before. I have only been seasick once. when the seas were very rough in the Medterranean. We enjoy ship rocking and movement but this ship is a smaller ship and I just a little concerned.

25 minutes ago, ccbee said:

We enjoy ship rocking and movement but this ship is a smaller ship and I just a little concerned.

You might want to read this thread, in which a retired captain tells "The size of a ship has no bearing on how a ship handles heavy weather."

Although Serenity rides the waves pretty well, we try to avoid all rooms located forward of the forward stairs. There’s a reason those rooms are priced lower. We did it once. Never again.

Rob

1 hour ago, ccbee said:

Have been on about 19 cruises but this is our first Crystal Cruise - a B2B Vancourver to Seward Alaska cruise in July. We booked cabin 8011 for the cruise to Seward and 8012 for the cruise back to Vancouver. These are forward cabins. We have always cruised in mid-cabins or mid-aft cabins. I am a little concerned about seasickness and wondering if we should change to mid cabins which are about $1000 before. I have only been seasick once. when the seas were very rough in the Medterranean. We enjoy ship rocking and movement but this ship is a smaller ship and I just a little concerned.

Well two issues.

If you are concerned just don't take a chance and go mid ship.

And I would try to find a suite that you can be in for both legs so you do not have to move.

Keith

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

All solo cabins are located forward. If one wants to book at the solo lower discount (which by the way is not zero supplement as some people believe), those are the cabins one will get. No possibility to choose unless the solo passenger is willing to pay for two.

Edited by travelberlin

6 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

All solo cabins are located forward. If one wants to book at the solo lower discount (which by the way is not zero supplement as some people believe), those are the cabins one will get. No possibility to choose unless the solo passenger is willing to pay for two.

You do not have a 100% supplement in all cabins on all cruises. I am a solo with a double ocean view booked on the Jan. 18 Panama Canal cruise on the Serenity and paid a 50% single supplement. 

The solo cabins are often less than 15% more than the double ocean views. I have one booked in the future that is 12%

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

You do not have a 100% supplement in all cabins on all cruises. I am a solo with a double ocean view booked on the Jan. 18 Panama Canal cruise on the Serenity and paid a 50% single supplement. 

The solo cabins are often less than 15% more than the double ocean views. I have one booked in the future that is 12%

Are you sure it was not a special offer? The 50% discount? I remember seeing a limited time offer for some cruises with the 50% solo supplement. For al the cruises I was interested, at the time of booking they were almost 100 % supplement. Just the port taxes and other taxes were deducted. 
Ivi

5 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Are you sure it was not a special offer? The 50% discount? I remember seeing a limited time offer for some cruises with the 50% solo supplement. For al the cruises I was interested, at the time of booking they were almost 100 % supplement. Just the port taxes and other taxes were deducted. 
Ivi

No, it wasn't a special offer. This was for the other ocean views on Deck 7, not the ones with a balcony. Now, prices change and when a certain percentage of cabins are booked, they go up. I think the lesson is book early to get a single cabin or, if those are all booked, a lower supplement on other ocean views.

• Thanks 2

Back to the OP’ s original question. There was a cabin open house today. The seas today are slight,  but there’s a decent headwind. There’s a bit of motion going on. 

Rooms 11007, 9005 and 8029 were open. These are forward of the forward stairs. The motion-of-the-ocean was considerably more pronounced in these three rooms than the open house rooms located midship or further aft. 

Just thought for consideration, depending how affected one is by motion.

Rob

i have been forward of the forward staircases many times on deck 9, 10 and 11 and I have never had a problem but as said above if you are prone to motion discomfort, which I am not, it may be an issue.  

• Like 1

We are in 10021 currently. No worries for us but we do not get seasick. The is a lot of wind and higher waves. We have been forward before and do not have issues. The $$ is considerable. Try for the cabin least forward.