Is the Taco and Tequila excursion in Cozumel any fun??

SRQMom

Has anyone done the Taco and Tequila excursion in Cozumel (NCL).  Cruising with a large family group and not everyone wants to do "water" or parasailing/ziplining etc. on the last port and looking for something different.  I searched to see if there were any previous posts on this one but can't find any.  Hoping to get some feedback by someone who's done it.  Thanks!!!

i haven't done it, but not for lack of trying.

i can only tell you that every time in the past three years i've been to cozumel (which is four times), this excursion consistently sells out. whether it's any good or not, i couldn't tell you... but it sure does seem to be popular.

i met a family that did the "amazing race" excursion in cozumel and said it was great. it is exactly what it sounds like... tasks and detours modeled after those that you might find on the "amazing race" tv show. they loved it.

so if you're looking for something different, that may fit the bill.

Cozumel is loaded with restaurants and stores willing to sell you tacos and tequila.

I would say a tour like this depends on the people taking it.

Do most have any background of drinking good tequila? (not Jose Cuervo) 

If they do, then a std Tequila tasting will be ho-hum.

If not, then a std Tequila tasting will be interesting. 

The same with tacos.  If you experience is Taco Bell, then anything you find in Cozumel will be better.

If you have lived in Arizona and are used to the "gourmet" versions you can get there, then Cozumel may be a let down.

You could also look for independent tours like this.  The NCL dock is well placed for many restaurants that are within a 1/2 mile walk or less. 

Cozumel get 5 to 7 cruise ships a day.  This would be a very routine thing (and profitable) for a local tour company.  They know the ships schedules and the distance for the tour is not far. 

17 hours ago, SRQMom said:

Hoping to get some feedback by someone who's done it.

We did the excursion last March on the Joy.  It was a short bus drive to a tequila tasting room/shop where they walked through the process of making tequila and the various "grades" with sips of each.  The tequila was ok, but nothing remarkable in our opinion. 

After the short tasking, they then walked us around the property to a private dining/open kitchen area where two women demonstrated various traditional tacos that were paired with the various tequilas.  They even provided each guest with a small ball of masa that we each hand pressed into our own tortilla, which they cooked and then used for one of the tacos.

They were not short with the food or pours.  The guide is pouring the tequilas and knows frequent pours lead to better tips.🤣

All in all we enjoyed the excursion and thought it was a good deal with our $50 shorex credit and platinum discount.

2 minutes ago, UKstages said:

sounds like fun.

was there pressure or hard sell tactics used to try to get participants to purchase bottles of the tequila?

There was no "hard sell" at all, from our opinion.  We did the short tasting, then did the cooking demo/lunch with plenty of pours and then we had 15 minutes or so to walk through the retail shop with all the various tequilas and other item (seasonings, glassware, shirts, etc.).  There was a constant flow of other buses doing tastings only coming through, so there was no time for the hard sell.  Nothing like trying to navigate through the hard sell at the Mandera spa after a massage!!!!!🤪

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, JandC_Cruising said:

We did the excursion last March on the Joy.  It was a short bus drive to a tequila tasting room/shop where they walked through the process of making tequila and the various "grades" with sips of each.  The tequila was ok, but nothing remarkable in our opinion. 

After the short tasking, they then walked us around the property to a private dining/open kitchen area where two women demonstrated various traditional tacos that were paired with the various tequilas.  They even provided each guest with a small ball of masa that we each hand pressed into our own tortilla, which they cooked and then used for one of the tacos.

They were not short with the food or pours.  The guide is pouring the tequilas and knows frequent pours lead to better tips.🤣

All in all we enjoyed the excursion and thought it was a good deal with our $50 shorex credit and platinum discount.

Yep....same one I took.  

I did a Tequila tasting once in Cozumel. I think it was the Jose Cuervo experience, but it's been a good number of years. They explained how the beverage was made and explained the 4 different types (higher end Jose, supposed to be sipping versus shots). We then went across the way for a margarita demo/tasting. Afterwards, a walk through a museum, and then lunch which was tacos. Unfortunately, my wife didn't care for it, so I felt it necessary to get my money's worth and drink her's as well. No additional complimentary booze after the tasting. One thing that shocked me was a group of non-drinkers with us. I wouldn't have spent the money myself.

If I recall, I had a good time, but then, I did drink a decent amount of Tequila.