Warming Baby Bottle in Cabin

kenzie

54 minutes ago, kenzie said:

Is it possible to get a kettle or coffee maker in the cabin (Balcony) to warm babies bottle.

Coffee makers are available on request from your cabin steward.

13 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I used powder formula for all of my kids and just added warm tap water.

No I need to sterilise the water, she is only 6 months old

2 hours ago, kenzie said:

You do not need to sterilize the water.

The tap water on the ship is of better quality than the water ashore.

If you must have hot water, you can get it in the buffet at the coffee/tea machines.

Just now, Homosassa said:

You do not need to sterilize the water.

The tap water on the ship is of better quality than the water ashore.

If you must have hot water, you can get it in the buffet at the coffee/tea machines.

We always sterilize water for a baby in the UK 

17 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I used powder formula for all of my kids and just added warm tap water.

I don't want to exaggerate any risk, but it's generally recommended to NEVER drink/use hot tap water! Especially for a baby. Not at home, not at the ship! 

3 hours ago, kenzie said:

51 minutes ago, kenzie said:

Here in Sweden it is not common practice to sterilize unless you have reason to suspect bad water quality (which is relatively unusal here).  But you are absolutely right to not use the hot tap water! And better sterilize one time too many that one to few!

2 hours ago, kenzie said:

I asked my oldest’s pediatrician when I could stop sterilizing water and bottles, I was told babies need clean, not sterile, and to just use tap water and soap and water for cleaning. It wasn’t until the internet that I learned folks in the UK sterilized. Where I live it’s not a good idea to sterilize water, homes are old so there could be lead pipes, boiling the water concentrated the lead (I always ran the water). By the time I got to #4 and #5 (twins) I did make sure I had enough bottles to use the dishwasher so their bottles were sterilized (unnecessary but easier).

When my kids were little we'd get warm milk and cookies delivered by room service.  If you can't get a kettle/coffee maker for your room  or hot water at the buffet, that's another option to consider.

6 hours ago, Asawi said:

I don't want to exaggerate any risk, but it's generally recommended to NEVER drink/use hot tap water! Especially for a baby. Not at home, not at the ship! 

Agreed.

Hot tap water is not desirable for ingesting due to the piping and heating systems used.

This is true regardless of where you are, including your home.

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

Just to clarify, the suggestion to use tap water was to warm a bottle, not to mix with powdered formula.

Phew! What a relief! I was actually thinking along those lines to but wasn't sure how well it would work.

On 1/10/2024 at 6:57 AM, kenzie said:

I understand this is the general advice in the UK, and you shouldn't do anything you are uncomfortable with. However, in the US they do not give the same advice. And by the time your baby is old enough to go on a cruise, they are also old enough to chew on the remote control, kiss the dog, lick your phone, etc. so clean but not sterilized water would honestly be the least of my concerns!!

I did cruise with both of my kids before they were a year old. We ran water through the coffee maker and used it to warm up bottles. I took a bottle brush, small container of dish soap, and a portable drying rack (https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Tot-Drying-Bristled-Cleaner/dp/B07YP59DQ7) all of which I highly recommend, along with disposable bibs and a lot of extra baby wipes! 🙂

• Haha 1

Just off the Getaway and brought this for warming bottles on the go Tommee Tippee Portable Travel Bottle Warmer you just fill it with hot water from the coffee/tea station or cabin sink and warm the milk in the lid.  It has been a lifesaver for traveling, especially when heating up frozen breastmilk bags or bottles on the go.