COVID precautions/response on the Dream

toodycat

Hi, We're sailing on the Dream in a couple of weeks and I wanted to know if anyone who has recently sailed can speak to the COVID situation. I've always been impressed with Disney's hygiene and precautions since the first time we sailed with them during SARS. My questions are:

1. What precautions, if any, are they taking in the dining and theater areas?

2. To what extent are the guests/staff masking?

3. If anyone did get COVID, were you quarantined? How did that work?

Please note that I'm not asking anyone to weigh in on whether or not COVID is real, whether or not masks work or whether my family should go on this trip. I'm just requesting feedback from people who have recently been on this ship.

Thanks so much!

We sailed the Magic on the panama canal in December. 

1. None, it's back to what it was before covid. They hand out wet towels before you enter a dinning room, but that's it. They removed all the extra hand sanitizer gels. So if you want to sanitize your hands just before eating, you need to bring your own. 

2. Staff is not masked. During our 2 week cruise we saw less than 5 groups that were masked.  ( First cruise since 2021 that we didn't use a mask in enclosed spaces, because we felt kind of strange to be one of the only ones)

3. We were fine, freshly boosted, that may have helped. Lots of people came home sick, with respiratory symptoms but were one of the lucky ones that had no issues at all. 

Everything is back to before Covid. No extra precautions, no spacing out seats. Dinning tables are shared, unless you request otherwise. No extra cleaning. Buffet is back to self serve. 

That's a little disappointing. I will bring masks and meds in case any of us do get sick. We're all boosted and I have had COVID, but the rest of my family hasn't.

• 2 weeks later...

The pandemic is in the past, Covid is now classed as just another respiratory disease and as such, no cruise line or airline will enforce restrictions again ( thank God). You are obviously free to take your own precautions as you see fit.

kind regards 

Capt. Tino

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/9/2024 at 9:10 AM, freaky_82 said:

We sailed the Magic on the panama canal in December. 

1. None, it's back to what it was before covid. They hand out wet towels before you enter a dinning room, but that's it. They removed all the extra hand sanitizer gels. So if you want to sanitize your hands just before eating, you need to bring your own. 

Those were not just wet towels they were handing out. They were sanitizing wipes.

1 hour ago, gometros said:

Those were not just wet towels they were handing out. They were sanitizing wipes.

yes of course that is what I mean. But still nothing to sanitize once you arrived at the table and touched the chairs and menu cards.  

On 1/19/2024 at 12:49 PM, Despegue said:

The pandemic is in the past, Covid is now classed as just another respiratory disease and as such, no cruise line or airline will enforce restrictions again ( thank God). You are obviously free to take your own precautions as you see fit.

kind regards 

Capt. Tino

I am not aware of any line requiring masks or proof of vaccination (unless required by a port country), but people who test positive for Covid on a cruise are still being quarantined.  But, perhaps that is not what you meant by enforcing restrictions. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2024 at 6:43 PM, freaky_82 said:

yes of course that is what I mean. But still nothing to sanitize once you arrived at the table and touched the chairs and menu cards.  

You could ask for a couple of extra sanitizing wipes to take to the table with you

I am back from our cruise and can report that the only precautions are handwashing outside the buffet and hand sanitizer outside the dining room. None of us got sick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toodycat said:

I am back from our cruise and can report that the only precautions are handwashing outside the buffet and hand sanitizer outside the dining room. None of us got sick.

Those are the standard precautions they've always had.  Not particularly related to COVID.

• Like 2

On 2/6/2024 at 9:25 PM, toodycat said:

Those are mostly Norovirus precautions, not COVID.

5 hours ago, mz-s said:

Those are mostly Norovirus precautions, not COVID.

As I recall, they've been there since my first Disney cruise, which was during the SARS epidemic. Hand washing and sanitizer are healthy requirements all the time.